why taxy from las americas airport are so expensive?

giga

Feb 11, 2012
Hi,

I want to move to dr but sometimes
Ive money nightmeres,

For ex i took cab from las americas airport
To boca chica and cost me 25$!

The ride is a short 15min, why so expensive?
Is the gasoline cost or is it because im gringo?

I remember going to airport from conde cost me 200.300pesos only

Thanks

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
On the one hand the airport taxis have a strong union and monopoly.
On the other hand fuel, insurance and operating costs are very expensive.
And on the foot, the local taxis (non-airport) don't have the first and they scimp on the second, thus cheaper.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Do tell when you paid 300 pesos from Conde to the airport!! What would you expect around the world for similar taxi rides? If you are concerned about what things cost and your money don't even consider living in the DR.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011

When I've traveled around the USA and Europe, the prices for taxis have always been higher. IMO, sometimes this might be due to extra charges that the cabbies pay at the airport, price fixing by a taxi association or union, lack of alternative transportation modes, and/or knowing that leisure and business travelers with money enter the country through the airport and have the money to pay higher prices, etc.

In the case of the DR, it might be a combination of all of the above, along with the notion that a traveler that paid $500 or more for a plane ticket, will pay for a hotel, is a gringo that often does not have a good command of Spanish, will pay for Boca Chica type entertainment, etc. shouldn't be complaining about a $25 cab ride.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Taxis spend a long time waiting since plane arrivals bunch in certain times of day.
London Airport ( UK ) is more than 70 dollars to go a short distance by taxi.
Flights to the DR are very cheap.
pi2

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Just go upstairs to the departures level and find a taxi that will take you for much less.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I want to move to the DR but sometimes I have money nightmares. For ex I took a cab from Las Americas airport to Boca Chica and cost me 25$!
If you are thinking of moving here, you would be wise to make a thorough study of living expenses here, and there is plenty of information on DR1 to enable you to do that. You might get a few unpleasant surprises when you look at real costs without rose-tinted spectacles.

However, being influenced one way or the other by the cost of an airport taxi seems a bit odd. How often will that ride figure in your monthly expenses?

Just go upstairs to the departures level and find a taxi that will take you for much less.
Useful tip!

edm7583

May 29, 2007
When I've traveled around the USA and Europe, the prices for taxis have always been higher. IMO, sometimes this might be due to extra charges that the cabbies pay at the airport, price fixing by a taxi association or union, lack of alternative transportation modes, and/or knowing that leisure and business travelers with money enter the country through the airport and have the money to pay higher prices, etc.

In the case of the DR, it might be a combination of all of the above, along with the notion that a traveler that paid $500 or more for a plane ticket, will pay for a hotel, is a gringo that often does not have a good command of Spanish, will pay for Boca Chica type entertainment, etc. shouldn't be complaining about a $25 cab ride.

This statement sums up everything that is wrong with Dominicans who deal with tourists. You just got off a plane that cost you $500 to travel on so It justifies ripping you off on a taxi? How dare you have money and I don't?? If this is what you truly believe, I know an up and coming political campaign you can propagandize for. And what does it matter how much taxis cost in the US or Europe? You aren't in the US, and you aren't in Europe. I can never understand the argument that since the gringos would pay at least the same amount for a taxi that the airport mafia charges in the US, it makes it all right to charge them the same. Well if the gringos could stay at a beachfront resort with food and drinks included in the US for the same amount they would pay in the DR, they would just go to Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Why worry so much - maybe the taxi driver has waited 4 hours for the plane to arrive. He maybe deserves his fare.
Everything is so much cheaper in the DR a few dollars is soon forgotten.
pi2

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
And what does it matter how much taxis cost in the US or Europe? You aren't in the US, and you aren't in Europe. I can never understand the argument that since the gringos would pay at least the same amount for a taxi that the airport mafia charges in the US, it makes it all right to charge them the same.

I wasn't comparing the cost of cabs in Europe or the USA to the DR. What I was trying to say was that cabs at airports that I've been to all around the world tend to charge more than the cabs you take in other parts of the city.

Last edited:

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
This statement sums up everything that is wrong with Dominicans who deal with tourists. You just got off a plane that cost you $500 to travel on so It justifies ripping you off on a taxi? How dare you have money and I don't?? If this is what you truly believe, I know an up and coming political campaign you can propagandize for.

I wasn't saying I thought the cost of the taxi or this logic was appropriate. I was merely giving my opinion on the logic used by Dominicans. Personally, I think the prices from the airport are high. That being said, it has encouraged me to find less costly ways to travel from the airport rather than paying the "standard" cab fare. At the same time, I don't blame the taxistas for trying to get as much as they can. If I was in their position, I might be doing the same thing.

giga

Feb 11, 2012
hey yelling terrorista,

let me tell ia, ive been to 42 countries around world,...never paid that much, not even from JFK to Queens, ny
where i live i pay $25 bucks...

Do tell when you paid 300 pesos from Conde to the airport!! What would you expect around the world for similar taxi rides? If you are concerned about what things cost and your money don't even consider living in the DR.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Hi,

I want to move to dr but sometimes
Ive money nightmeres,

For ex i took cab from las americas airport
To boca chica and cost me 25$!

I remember going to airport from conde cost me 200.300pesos only

Thanks

You mean Conde as in El Conde!?!?! 200 or 300 pesos!?!?!?!? Better hook me up with that number of the driver you're talking about!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
1000 pesos,IS $25!
You were overcharged,but only about 200 pesos.
Depending when you arrived
The fact that the taxi waited 10 hours should not affect the price,does it affect the distance?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
The next thing you know, we'll find out that food in the airport duty free is overpriced!

The cabs at the airports are considered "limo" service by local standards. If you can't get a family member or friend to pick you up, that's your problem. If you want to save a couple bucks, walk to the place where the airport charges the cabs to get into the airport and flag a cab on its way in. I've taken guaguas and publicos after walking to the highway, but it's not fun when you've got your luggage with you.

Best bet is to negotiate before you get into the cab.

As for the price, the driver can't expect to be able to pick up a (good) fare on the way back, so charging you a reasonable price for a 30 minute trip is fair when it's for a one-way 15 minute trip.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
This will never change as long as the government allows the airport taxi syndicates to control pickups at the airports. It was not always like this. In the late 1970's and early 80's many of the SD hotels provided free shuttle to and from the airport. They had to back then because even hotel taxis were in such bad shape you never knew if they could reach the airport. I remember the Concorde, the El Embajador and the Hotel Santo Domingo had direct line phones to call for a pickup before you went through immigration. A little later on the hotels contracted with bus transfer agents,with costs (or lack of cost) set by the hotel. The Hotel Concorde aiways had free transfers. Then the taxi unions took over around 1983. They physically assaulted the bus drivers. The end of cheap airport transportation.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Gas between $5.25 & $5.50us per gallon, maintenance, and wear and tear on the vehicle, insurance, drivers salary= $25.00us which is probably a fair price.

LTS

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Everyone that thinks the DR is a cheap place to live has been told wrong, has very old info or is living a dream. I go to Boca Chica often. My friend meets me at the airport and tells me to pay the driver. 500 pesos. We stop, depending on the situation, to get food or buy the driver's mother some fresh cheese. It's best to know someone or have your hotel arrange your transport. Don't flault people for trying to make a living. If you are a cheap gringo, you'll never have friends and always get screwed!!!

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
if you are coming into Las Americas during day, and it s nice , and you have little luggage, walk to the carretera about a miles down the road or if you are feeling adventurous grab on e of the motorconchos that park less than 1000 ft from the arrival halls... then grab the guagua to Boca fro about 40 pesos.... it s an adventure and fun,... just watch your passport... and this only works if you have a small carry on