ShowerHeads

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It takes me a while to catch onto things.

We draw water from a well, therefore have some sediment in the water which clogs the filters in the taps/showers over time.
I'm constantly flushing them to get my water flow back to normal.

In my cleaning process, I came across the flow restrictor....... why do I need a flow restrictor when my flow is already restricted ??? I ask myself.

Out it came and I am living happily ever after with a steady stream .....

No CCCCCC, this is not a prostate topic..... showerheads, my man, showerheads:knockedou

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It takes me a while to catch onto things.

We draw water from a well, therefore have some sediment in the water which clogs the filters in the taps/showers over time.
I'm constantly flushing them to get my water flow back to normal.

In my cleaning process, I came across the flow restrictor....... why do I need a flow restrictor when my flow is already restricted ??? I ask myself.

Out it came and I am living happily ever after with a steady stream .....

No CCCCCC, this is not a prostate topic..... showerheads, my man, showerheads:knockedou
Can't you install an inline filter that is easily cleaned?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Interesting thread. We also have a well, and even though we have the cistern scrubbed with bleach on a regular basis, we get the same sediment. Right now we're having a terrible time with our kitchen faucet, looks like we may have to buy another one because the water won't flow - and it's less than one year old.

By the way WW, we drove through Cabrera last Thursday, and saw an Awilda Shipping box truck on the road. Thought of you immediately!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That truck was delivering to my neighbor.... a Jazz singer from the south of France - originally from Mt Airy in Phila.

Yes, CB, filtering closer to the source will be the next project and its not a big one.
I ahve an impellor system

AE, take the faucet apart... the high calcium here can be a bugger... soak in vinegar for 6-8 hours . Same results as CLR.

We drop a chlorine tablet in our cistern every 6 weeks or so- can't overdo it b/c of the jardin.
Ours is a big cistern - 6' hi' x 10' each side... you can smell that one puck after we use it.

PS, the sediment comes from the well, not the cistern.... you'll always have it - espacially after a big rain

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Most taps here I have found have an internal very fine mesh filter, they block easily, take them out. Buy a shower head which has the head with holes (sounds like Polo Mints!) screwed on , they are then very easy to clean.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We had a false well at first.... well man used the Jed Clampett system to devine the water and went down 210 feet.

We dropped a string down and measured 25 ft of H2O ..... put the pump down a wekk or so later and nada.... no water whatsoever.

All we had was a runoff stream underground... not a water producing well.
Since have cattle all around... that water ain't too potable.

Since then , we got a real well that we share w/ the vecinos

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Most taps here I have found have an internal very fine mesh filter, they block easily, take them out. Buy a shower head which has the head with holes (sounds like Polo Mints!) screwed on , they are then very easy to clean.

Yes, take the fine mesh out AND the flow restrictor..... the showerheads only, have them - not the taps.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That truck was delivering to my neighbor.... a Jazz singer from the south of France - originally from Mt Airy in Phila.
Ah, then we should have followed the truck and stalked you for a cup of coffee!

AE, take the faucet apart... the high calcium here can be a bugger... soak in vinegar for 6-8 hours . Same results as CLR.

Just told Mr. AE - he says it's the faucet [what do I know, I just turn handles and expect water]

We drop a chlorine tablet in our cistern every 6 weeks or so- can't overdo it b/c of the jardin.
Ours is a big cistern - 6' hi' x 10' each side... you can smell that one puck after we use it.

Never used a chlorine tablet - good idea. Can you also pop one of those in a tinaco, or too strong? Our tinaco is 550 gallons

PS, the sediment comes from the well, not the cistern.... you'll always have it - espacially after a big rain

Didn't know that either. Been plenty of DOWNPOURS here lately.

Gotta love DR1, where else would you learn this stuff??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sureyou can put it in the tinaco, just adjust the amount if you find it too strong.

Buy the granular - easier to measure - and hang it in a bag or something rather than letting it sift to the bottom.
We do that w/ the piscina.

Yes, DR1 can be very helpful when it wants to be....... it has saved my @ss many times over.

As for visiting - too bad I missed you.... BUT, we had visitors the other night who turned back thinking "Nobody could possibly live up this road"... en serio!!!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Yes, CB, filtering closer to the source will be the next project and its not a big one.
I ahve an impellor system

I'd replumb the system so the well pumps into the cistern and then the cistern is pumped into the tinaco.

We have that system at Camp Moto, but the landlord pumps into the cistern.

Our cistern is 10x10x10. BIG.

The feed from the cistern is about 12" above the bottom so there is virtually NO sediment coming from it. If there were some sediment, it wouldn't be difficult to climb into the cistern and connect a hose to the feed tube and suck most out with the pump.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Buy the granular - easier to measure - and hang it in a bag or something rather than letting it sift to the bottom.
We do that w/ the piscina.
I just use liquid chlorine. I drop in a pint or so when the cistern is filled. Can't smell it. The lab says the water is potable (well, fit for human consumption), but we still use jugs of water to drink and cook with. Never know when the well sends nasty water, but we're on the top of a hill with few, if any, sources of pollution close by the well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'd replumb the system so the well pumps into the cistern and then the cistern is pumped into the tinaco.

We have that system at Camp Moto, but the landlord pumps into the cistern.

Our cistern is 10x10x10. BIG.

The feed from the cistern is about 12" above the bottom so there is virtually NO sediment coming from it. If there were some sediment, it wouldn't be difficult to climb into the cistern and connect a hose to the feed tube and suck most out with the pump.

That's how ours is set up - one pump sends water from the well to the cistern [holds about 1000 gallons], and another pump sends water from the cistern to the tinaco [550 gallons].

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

I used to have a spa shower head ( Amazon.com: Shower Head Self-Pressurizing Shower Fixture Five Star Resort Spa ShowerHead Gold: Kitchen & Bath Fixtures ) . Took the filter out and even with very low water pressure I was able to take a terrific shower. Well worth the expense!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
That's how ours is set up - one pump sends water from the well to the cistern [holds about 1000 gallons], and another pump sends water from the cistern to the tinaco [550 gallons].
a 6x10x10 cistern should hold around 4400 gallons...

PatriciaArcher

Jan 6, 2012
You might want to hire a professional plumber. These are all great suggestions but if you're still not sure of what to do, a plumber should probably do it for you.