American mayor becoming involved in DR politics

May 12, 2005
That guy is a payaso. He has screwed up Lawrence beyond belief. Hope he is going on his own dime and not the taxpayers.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Mayor Willie is full of it. He can tell them he anything he wants. Half the people he talks to in the DR thinks Lawrence is New York.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
GOOD JOB, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK........

Times are hard in the state?s poorest city. The mayor is under federal and state investigation for campaign-finance improprieties and other questionable behavior, while a state-appointed overseer is managing the city?s municipal budget. Lawrence?s public school system is in receivership ? the former superintendent, Wilfredo Laboy, is under criminal indictment for fraud and embezzlement, and the high school dropout rate is more than 50 percent.

Public-safety cuts have been drastic, and felony crimes have skyrocketed from 1,777 in 2009 to 2,597 during the first 11 months of 2011. Unemployment is as high as 18 percent, compared with the state average of less than 7 percent. With 76,000 people squeezed into 6.93 square miles, violent crime on the rise, and a public school system that?s the worst in the state, the once-proud ?Immigrant City? has become an object lesson in how to screw things up.

I'll give him this, he has adapted well, NEPOTISM & CRONYISM......Yes, you are qualified for the job.

William Lantigua gals on Lawrence payroll - BostonHerald.com

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I'll give him this, he has adapted well, NEPOTISM & CRONYISM......Yes, you are qualified for the job.

William Lantigua gals on Lawrence payroll - BostonHerald.com

What? No mistress? (or she off the books)?

Public records show that Lantigua?s ex-wife, his estranged current wife, his current live-in girlfriend and his daughter are all on the city payroll, earning a total of more than $80,000.

($20,000 a year isn't much, city really must be hurting.)

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Thanks R&B for an informative response. But aren't most of it indicative of a lot of cities of that size and larger? Politics as usual but some hide it better?

I know this sounds terrible so forgive me please but is anyone suppose to look for this man to do better than what's out there? Who in politics is selfless?

Last edited:

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Thanks R&B for an informative response. But aren't most of it indicative of a lot of cities of that size and larger? Politics as usual but some hide it better?

I know this sounds terrible so forgive me please but is anyone suppose to look for this man to do better than what's out there? Who in politics is selfless?

Maybe? I don't know, who cares........this thread is about HIM....(Mayor William Lantigua).......

It's easy to DEFLECT and do COMPARISONS with other cities and other politicians......

Stay on topic, and if everything goes right in this thread, we can have a blast ripping this guy to shreads......

I live 20 miles from Lawrence, and have been there many times, (great Dominican food).......

This guy has not handled things well, BAD UNQUALIFIED MAYOR.......(yes, there are plenty of them in the USA, but that's for another thread)

Oh well, like I said before, great food, and let's not forget all the beautiful Dominican women that you will encounter when you are visiting Lawrence......

So it's not all bad......

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
To put it mildly he is always on the 6 o'clock news and it is never a feel good story. He is the most arrogant SOB I have seen in Massachusetts politics. Politicians are arrogant and crooked but he takes the cake.