Why Did You Move Here?

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I visited DR for the first time one year ago. Already I have returned twice. The last time I was there I stayed a month and took a Spanish class. I am coming next week to stay an additional month. There is something about DR that keeps me coming back. I can describe it more as a feeling. As opposed to NYC I feel more in touch with myself and other when visiting DR. I have lived in NYC for 16 years. It is my home but lately I've been drawn to the idea of living in DR. Perhaps not full time but at least half the year. I am going through a career change. My plan is to teach English. I start school for the CELTA certificate this summer in NYC.

I'm really into DR1! I'd be curious to know the various reasons why people on this site not native to DR decided to make it their full or part time home. Was it for love? Work? Dissatisfaction with ones native place of residence?

After I complete my certificate I will decide if I want to live in DR at least part time and look for work. I've made lots of human connection (romantic, sexual and platonic) in DR but I realize that often happens when not in your daily routine. Staying a month though and going to school in DR proved to me though that I could enjoy a routine and have intimate connection. Overall I feel there is more connection to raw human experience in DR then in NYC or maybe I'm just a delusioned tourist.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I should clairfy that the majority of my time was spent in Santo Domingo with short trips to Cabarete and Las Terrenas.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
As opposed to NYC I feel more in touch with myself and other when visiting DR. I have lived in NYC for 16 years. I'd be curious to know the various reasons why people on this site not native to DR decided to make it their full or part time home.

16 years of snow, slush, heating bills, sleet, hail, frostbite and ice would be enough reason, wouldn't it?

But if you get homesick, you can always find some outdoors ice by hiking up Pico Duarte.
Good luck to you.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I was habitually late for everything in the U.S.
Here, no one notices.

Oh, and I like bugs and being around creepy crawly critters (otherwise known as 'expats').

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I came as a diving instructor for 6 months and wanted to learn Spanish. Loved the people, loved the country, never left - 11 years on still here!

Matilda

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Like Matilda, I came for six months (but to set up an ESL program) - back in 2001 - and I am still here!

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the responses. I am interested in eventually working at an ESL program.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I came here for work for 8 months (temp. job transfer), knowing nothing about this country. After three months I told my boss he better figure out a way to make sure I can stay.

It's been three years :)

I stayed for the people. Socialization is much better then my city of 300,000 in Ontario Canada.
I'm 27, so I think i'm in a different generation then most people here :)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I also am in the processing of moving to DR for work. I roughly make same amount in DR as in US(after taxes and basic family health insurances paid every months in US). Perhaps me along with my wife and a son can live better life here then back home. We had been cutting all the corners and occasionally I was reaching in to our saving every now and them to cover few unexpected expenses. Good thing about DR is I can cut all the corners if I WANT AND CHOOSE TO not we NEED AND FORCE TO. We have already have cut almost 2/3 in rent that we had been paying in US and I know I can cut more then 1/2 of that 2/3 and live better life then most of people in DR but we choose to live in slightly safe and quite place since we can. I honestly don't know how things will mature as we live our life in DR, but I have nothing but perhaps delusional high hopes that our life will be happier then back home.

Right now my life is in the container that is being held in Santo Domingo for week and a half now. They have gave me a story of computer problem and not able to print proper documents so my stuff will be on hold for possibly another week or more. But I don't mind that right now. All I am concern about is my family back home anxiously awaiting for our stuff to arrive so we can start our new life here in DR.

amarillysh

Mar 26, 2008
I don't live in DR but travel there as often as I can (every other month). Would love to live there...My attraction to the country (I'm Dominican, raised in the US) is that there is still the element of human connection. I hate it when you walk down the mall and people don't even look you in the eye anymore they are too busy looking down at their smart phone to give a rats ass about even looking at their surroundings.

Its sad to say I live in a gated community in Miami for the past 6 years and do even know my neightbor that lives accross from me. In DR ( I stay with family) and am on a first name basis with all the neighbors in a square block radius.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I'll bet some are waiting out statutes of limitations. I'll also bet we won't be hearing from them. :D

I came for the climate, the freedom and the economic advantages.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
We too are coming to live in the DR for six months out of the year. Reason??? no snow, bitterly cold temperatures, cost of living. We are on pensions and have managed to keep an apartment here and also be fortunate enough to still spend 6 months in DR. Could really not do that anywhere else. Besides that, have been to DR many many times and love the people, their culture etc.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I gave up a stressful business and an apartment in the UK for a (relatively) stress-free business with seven apartments here for the price of my UK place. I don't make much money but I can afford my food and drink so that's OK!

And a pretty young girl showing an interest in an old codger like me? No chance in the UK!

PatriciaArcher

Jan 6, 2012
It's a beautiful country inspite the bad weather. The culture is great as well as the landscape. I don't think its questionable why people would choose to live here.