Did We Miss Something Here???

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
Ministry removes 68 kids from landfill

Sixty-eight children that worked in the Rafey landfill dump and in the market area known as Hospedaje Yaque in the La Joya section of Santiago were rescued and delivered to their parents who were ordered to register their children in school.

According to the Diario Libre reporters, these minors, rescued by the Ministry of Labor, worked in the market in risky situations and looked for saleable items in the Rafey landfill to sell to the scrap metal dealers. The age of the minors went from 8 years old up to 14 years of age.

The authorities handed out citations against purchasers of used merchandise and market produce vendors that used the minors.

Referring to this issue, the Minister of Labor Francisco Dominguez Brito said that he would look for a way to guarantee the permanence of the children in school. He warned that the measures would be more drastic and the number of inspections would increase all over the country until they eliminated child labor completely.

For his part, the president of the Association of Landfill Divers at Rafey, Felipe Rosario, recalled that last year three minors were killed when they were run over by garbage trucks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You did not miss anything. Kids at the landfill do the same as the adults. They "dive" for "treasures" among the refuse, risking life and limb.
At the Los Hospedajes Market (pronounced by one and all: "Lopedaje") these are the kids that have "?lganas" and run up to see if they can carry your fresh veggies and produce around and then to your car. None of the Gran Dames would deign to carry her own produce, so the kids earn some cash. Not much danger, except the long term loss of schooling.

The government has rounded them up and allegedly put them back into school. How long they stay is anyone's guess. I have no idea if there is a safety net for them, since they were breadwinners for part of the family...

We shall see if this works. It is Dominguez Brito's attempt to do "something" for these poorest of children. (PS. Just got an email describing how the head of UNICEF gets a salary of US$1.5 million or so a year plus expenses including the use of a Rolls Royce. A bit less than 5? out of each dollar goes to the children!! Salvation Army spends 96? on its mission to help people. The head of the Salvation Army has a year salary of $13,000 plus housing. Same for VFW, VVA and a bunch of others.)

HB

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Most of the kids came from the market. As for other agencies Barbara Dole made $250,000 plus expenses 15 plus years ago when she was Pres. of the Red Cross.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I think I saw a documentary about the kids at La Duquesa in Santo Domingo awhile ago.
Reminded me of what we imagine India's slums are like.

The thing that I wondered, then and now, is that people are always asking about recycling, and no-one seems to have much information and it's not very common. Yet, supposedly the kids are able to find enough material to sell to recycle.

Is it that they are actually getting money for recycling (as in plastics, glass, metals) or they find enough useable junk to sell?

And IF they are actually getting enough recycling to sell, wouldn't people just start putting stuff out for the street kids to pick up? (I know it sounds naive, but it seems like culturally Dominicans would help out in that way.)