Educating mother in law

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So I accept I've been a little absent minded in this but you guys are as good as it gets for sorting this stuff out. We've left the mother in law with no internet to skype and see the family. I've never used one of these dongle connection controls and am considering one of these to avoid any problems, the mother in law never having paid a bill in her life I expect that would be a complete disaster if I opened up a contract for her and like electricity everyone would be trying to hack into a live connection somehow.
I am positive once she got going she would spend more time than skype on the net, probably watching tv when the power goes down or what have you.
What are the pros and cons of these units and prices. I have always had unlimited access with good connectivity so I am a bit ignorant on anything else.
I should have done all this before leaving but you know when packing up things that seem simple to a modern mind suddenly become a task of reinventing the wheel for an old campo biddy that only just gets her mind around sliced bread.
So are these dongles and good, how fast, how much,best provider for campo location etc.
I thank your great intelligence in advance, well,,,,,, for those with intelligent answers at least.

Jan 17, 2009
These dongles work on cell signals. Whatever provider ihas stronger signal in the area where your mother-in-law is will work. You can get her a dongle for about rd$2,000, with no contract, but expect to pay an arm and a leg for video chatting or any video watching.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
These dongles work on cell signals. Whatever provider ihas stronger signal in the area where your mother-in-law is will work. You can get her a dongle for about rd$2,000, with no contract, but expect to pay an arm and a leg for video chatting or any video watching.

Thankyou, are there any figures on that, say for the dongle at 2000, how much streaming would you get, I believe Claro and Orange work well in her area? Like I say I'm a bit ignorant as I've always has unlimited usage. I presume unlimited dongle usage is not possible or would cost 5000p/mish?
Sorry for the simple questions but you know unless you can go into the shop it is difficult to find a reality out and justifying a trip tothe country to organize this alone is a little OTT.
Any figures anyone has handy (ballpark is enough) would be good.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last year I had unlimited Claro 'dongle' coverage, it was about 2600 pesos a month. This year they said that wasn't possible and I paid 3100 pesos for a new dongle [they claimed old one was obsolete, but have been told that was a lie] that includes 5Gs. You use the stick until you use the 5G. I've been using mine about 6 weeks, and haven't hit the limit. BUT I haven't downloaded any movies, haven't used uTube, and not using Video Chat on Skype.

Unless you get unlimited, watch out!

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Look here for pricing:

I'm using skype to chat 30 minutes a day, and I'm using the 3Gb bundel.
For 1700 a month (inluding taxes) this is cheaper than using any other phone service to call worldwide.
And it looks like the dongle is free. I already had one.

But ask the locals first if Claro has the best reception !!!

Claro ?;)

However like mentioned before, if youtube will be used, it's possible your targeta will run out within one day.

Jane Emily

Mar 18, 2012
I got an orange internet box about 6 months ago, less than RD$900 per month with a 18 month contract and the equipment is yours. The box is also wifi or can be used with a cable. Once connected to the laptop it works really well, you just switch the power on.