How difficult is it for Dominicans to get a job?

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
I have several Dominican friends, but only a couple are employed full-time. One has not been employed in over a year, except for the occasional temp job (he is a carpenter). The ones who are fully employed are nervous about the coming election. Apparently, many jobs with government contracts may disappear under a new party. So, those friends are dusting off the resume and saving a lot of money (just in case).

So my question is, how difficult is it for Dominicans to get a job? Since this is a broad question, answer this. First, a person with a private sector job, highly educated, excellent credentials (but with a government contract)? Second, a person with little formal education, lower socio-economic class, average trade skills, arrest record (evading)? Last, person just out of college with a business degree, bi-lingual, little work experience? All live in Santo Domingo.

How long does it take to find a full-time job? What prevents people from getting a full-time job (ie., formal education, lack of transportation, networks)? How easy is it to lose a job?

Very curious...thanks.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Finding a "job" is not that difficult, finding a decent job is very hard. The official unemployment rate in The DR is about 14% (which BTW is the highest in Latin America). Unofficially we all know it's way higher than that as this probably includes everyone who has a "job" even if they're not even making minimum wage.

A very high percentage of the population works somewhere in the informal sector. Salaries are low in the formal job sector. Believe it or not many times that guy selling chimichurri out of a cart can make more money than the guy with the professional degree working out of an office.

Add to that the fact that in The DR there's no such thing as Equal Opportunity Employment laws you can see how it can become very difficult. So a typical employment add goes something like this "Looking for accountant, with experience, must be between 20 and 25 years old, good presentation (meaning good looking)...please send CV with a photo attached"...

Once you HAVE a job losing it could be as easy as the girl refused to sleep with her boss with little to no recourse. Once you've been working at a company for a while though the law does protect you and it becomes pretty hard for a company to fire you, because they would have to pay you a good chunk of money as liquidation concept.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
The impression is that there are many jobs but few want to do them. The guy who could be shelling beans prefers to sit and beg. Moto-conchos drivers get sufficient to live for a few minutes labor an hour.
Great tracts of possiblely productuctive agricultural land lie vacant. Office jobs have of course largely been replaced by computers.
Also the impression is gathered that Hatians do about 50% of the real work in the country. If you order timber the Dominicans twiddle their thumbs while the Haitains load the truck, drive it etc.
On the other hand there are hard working Dominican Doctors, Detnists etc. but only a few percent of a population can aspire to these professions. Even driving a rice harvesting machine is considered harder work than many Dominicans would contemplate.
pi2

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Always cover your breakfast when you pop away for a minute, someone has obviously pis2ed in happy jacks corn flakes today!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Eat US cornflakes - never.......

Those that do may end up with crazy opinions....

pi2

latitude19

May 29, 2011
That is just not true. There are many hard working Dominicans.

The impression is that there are many jobs but few want to do them. The guy who could be shelling beans prefers to sit and beg. Moto-conchos drivers get sufficient to live for a few minutes labor an hour.
Great tracts of possiblely productuctive agricultural land lie vacant. Office jobs have of course largely been replaced by computers.
Also the impression is gathered that Hatians do about 50% of the real work in the country. If you order timber the Dominicans twiddle their thumbs while the Haitains load the truck, drive it etc.
On the other hand there are hard working Dominican Doctors, Detnists etc. but only a few percent of a population can aspire to these professions. Even driving a rice harvesting machine is considered harder work than many Dominicans would contemplate.
pi2

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, I can answer for low income Dominicans. I know a lot of lower income people living in Esperanza, near Santiago. Most of them worked in the Zona Franca sewing a few years ago, however that industry has shrunk to next to nothing due to worldwide demand. It is nearly impossible to find a job in Esperanza due to all of the people not working in the Zona.

To make matters worse, business of course is down in Esperanza as people have less to spend. The town of Esperanza is really living thru a nightmare now.

I think the Haitians working in fields an and around Esperanza work for next to nothing daily. It is extremely tiring work which many Dominicans now may not have the endurance to do. For example, I would have a hard time working in a dairy 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, as I did not grow up doing tiring manual labor. However, my friend from Nicaragua finds it fairly easy.

Really the only way for many to find jobs is to leave town. If single, is easier, but with a wife and kids losing the support of your family network to move to a larger town with possible low-paying work really is not worth the risk. So, many are waiting it out, but in the process become candidates for learned laziness.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Many Dominicans are used to patronage and wait for someone to get them a job. The feeling is that they can't get one themselves but wait for someone who is working to 'get them' a job in the same place. This apathy drives me crazy, but maybe they are right. It is not easy at all.

matilda

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yes Matilda...another thing to note is that the largest employer by far is the government with its over-inflated payroll. These jobs are given to people who belong to the party currently in power. Those people WILL be let go if the other party wins the next elections and even if the same party wins, but since it's a different faction of the party that's currently running, many people will still lose their jobs. This is one of the main reasons for the current level of corruption IMO, but that's another topic.

Also a large number of households completely or to a great extent depend on remittances sent by those of us who live abroad (I personally support two of these). I can tell you from experience that this has created a "give me" attitude in a large number of the population. Many young / able bodied people just rather call their aunt / uncle in the States or Europe to send them some money rather than try to find a job and work for it...after all in their mind "What's One or Two hundred Dollars when you live in the land of riches?". This perception has created this culture of moochers whereas even people I knew to be hard workers now just rather sit back and wait for the remittance. I could write a freaking novel on this...but I digress...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That is just not true. There are many hard working Dominicans.

I was originally going to get that point across to him, but he is a big enough ass when he hasn't been drinking pis2 I can't be bothered to humour him at all if he is even of the slightest bit bitter, he talks too much crap in general to have earned sufficient rights of my attention to be bothered with his lahlah BS speak which is pretty constant.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hello, I can answer for low income Dominicans. I know a lot of lower income people living in Esperanza, near Santiago. Most of them worked in the Zona Franca sewing a few years ago, however that industry has shrunk to next to nothing due to worldwide demand.
This is not what happened.

The DR lost FZ jobs to lower cost countries because the DR gubmint kept instituting policies, abetted by the transport unions, making FZ costs rise.

When you win bidniz on price, you will lose it on price...

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I think probably what happened was that suppliers dropped their smaller and costlier producers when the recession started, then didn't come back. The economy definitely was a good part of it, but not all of it, like you mentioned.

This is not what happened.

The DR lost FZ jobs to lower cost countries because the DR gubmint kept instituting policies, abetted by the transport unions, making FZ costs rise.

When you win bidniz on price, you will lose it on price...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think probably what happened was that suppliers dropped their smaller and costlier producers when the recession started, then didn't come back. The economy definitely was a good part of it, but not all of it, like you mentioned.
FZ's in Viet Nam and other Eastern countries are booming.

You're talking industries where a $0.02 cost increase is massive.

The DR got greedy and rolled the dice that FZ companies wouldn't leave when they kept requiring higher wages and transportation costs. The thought the close proximity to US markets would keep them here.

They lost the gamble...and it was already happening well before the world recession...

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
No, the history is that governements must subsidise housing etc. for workers in low tech industries and build up stakes in those enterprises to control employment levels. If there is a downturn new enterprises and jobs can be created by the government, sometimes in co-operation with existing businesses, other times not. The country then gets a reputation for a stable skilled workforce operating at low cost.

pi2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
No, the history is that governements must subsidise housing etc. for workers in low tech industries and build up stakes in those enterprises to control employment levels. If there is a downturn new enterprises and jobs can be created by the government, sometimes in co-operation with existing businesses, other times not. The country then gets a reputation for a stable skilled workforce operating at low cost.

pi2
Gubmint, gubmint, gubmint...

That is the problem: too much gubmint...

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Yes, the problem for DR is too much gubment in countries like HK with huge social housing programs......
Efficient organisation of mass housing in HK has contributed greatly to the countries success....

Public housing in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Minimum wage in HK $3,60 an hour.

BBC News - Hong Kong workers to enjoy minimum wage for first time

pi2
Big deal, a $3.60 minimum wage in an area with cost of living 40% higher than NYC. They need public housing because rents are 50% higher than NYC.

Edward Rivas

Mar 16, 2012
www.goldenkeymanagement.com
If you`re bilingual, it`s easier to land any job, specially in the capital. Most jobless people can`t get a job quicker because of education, the economy has changed in the past decade and learning computers and a second language became paramount to get a decent job in the DR.

Another problem is that a new generation wanted to learn the same thing, so at the universities they had to stop enrollments for marketing, accounting and law - too many people wanted to learn the same. That is creating a problem for the labor market, so you got law school graduates and accountants doing something else, or trying to.

The one big problem with having a job is keeping it. In the private sector, some people keep it for long, but in the public sector government changes every 4-8 years, usually that means you`re fired big time. A lot of times like Suarez said, an informal worked ( street vendor of food or services ) makes three times the salary of an average professional with "a job", and pays no taxes.

Many hotels and free zones have closed in the past decade and with it a lot of people had to adjust and find other jobs. Technology and process re engineering also did away with lots of labor posts, and DR governments do little to help people get past the education barriers. Santo Domingo and Santiago contrast with other areas, because most of the better prepared labor force is there.

In the North Coast, it`s even worse. Foreigners see a local culture of "get a gringo (a) to get you money, a visa, a house" or just plain old money, age factor not an issue. The local government college ( UASD ) has the lowest occupancy of the whole island, because too many people prefer to skip college, instead go for the easy living...with a gringo. The North Coast needs more and better schools and institutes where its people can learn new ways to make a living, and somehow regain dignity.

So far I only see special schools for kids sponsored by foreigners. So many people got very rich here and didn`t lay a single stone for the better future of the local people, just took all the money to themselves.

Last but not least, if you have a friend or connection, you get a job far quicker anywhere. A highly politicized country this is... :ermm:

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
this I have also seen... and fallen for many times..... but since all I do myself in the land of money is rent an apartment and pay a fortune even for that, this charity has had to stop.... the land of riches is what they often believe... it has been said to me ( as they go through all the used sneakers and quality used clothes I bring over , they ask " what , no Nike???".. that ****es me off) help the children yes.... the rest have to learn to help themselves.......
Yes Matilda...another thing to note is that the largest employer by far is the government with its over-inflated payroll. These jobs are given to people who belong to the party currently in power. Those people WILL be let go if the other party wins the next elections and even if the same party wins, but since it's a different faction of the party that's currently running, many people will still lose their jobs. This is one of the main reasons for the current level of corruption IMO, but that's another topic.

Also a large number of households completely or to a great extent depend on remittances sent by those of us who live abroad (I personally support two of these). I can tell you from experience that this has created a "give me" attitude in a large number of the population. Many young / able bodied people just rather call their aunt / uncle in the States or Europe to send them some money rather than try to find a job and work for it...after all in their mind "What's One or Two hundred Dollars when you live in the land of riches?". This perception has created this culture of moochers whereas even people I knew to be hard workers now just rather sit back and wait for the remittance. I could write a freaking novel on this...but I digress...

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I have seen the poverty that exists close up and it is a veritable issue,,,,, some really cannot make a decent salary through poor education or poverty in childhood.... . but it is right about that gringo connection... havinf a gringo to help is something many people seem to accept as normal...it ;s completely blatant on the street,and sad. I used to think it was me they really loved..great deal of naivite on my part but finally the penny dropped a while back....I still help but am no idiot these days..........
If you`re bilingual, it`s easier to land any job, specially in the capital. Most jobless people can`t get a job quicker because of education, the economy has changed in the past decade and learning computers and a second language became paramount to get a decent job in the DR.

Another problem is that a new generation wanted to learn the same thing, so at the universities they had to stop enrollments for marketing, accounting and law - too many people wanted to learn the same. That is creating a problem for the labor market, so you got law school graduates and accountants doing something else, or trying to.

The one big problem with having a job is keeping it. In the private sector, some people keep it for long, but in the public sector government changes every 4-8 years, usually that means you`re fired big time. A lot of times like Suarez said, an informal worked ( street vendor of food or services ) makes three times the salary of an average professional with "a job", and pays no taxes.

Many hotels and free zones have closed in the past decade and with it a lot of people had to adjust and find other jobs. Technology and process re engineering also did away with lots of labor posts, and DR governments do little to help people get past the education barriers. Santo Domingo and Santiago contrast with other areas, because most of the better prepared labor force is there.

In the North Coast, it`s even worse. Foreigners see a local culture of "get a gringo (a) to get you money, a visa, a house" or just plain old money, age factor not an issue. The local government college ( UASD ) has the lowest occupancy of the whole island, because too many people prefer to skip college, instead go for the easy living...with a gringo. The North Coast needs more and better schools and institutes where its people can learn new ways to make a living, and somehow regain dignity.

So far I only see special schools for kids sponsored by foreigners. So many people got very rich here and didn`t lay a single stone for the better future of the local people, just took all the money to themselves.

Last but not least, if you have a friend or connection, you get a job far quicker anywhere. A highly politicized country this is... :ermm: