Film addict & newbie

popboyd

Mar 23, 2012
Does anyone know of any English-language film clubs or theatres in the area? I am an engineer new to the area and will be -- for work purposes -- here a number of months. I am based in Puerto Plata area. Not into the bar scene -- my wife and family are back in Canada -- but would like to see a good film, discuss films with others, have a bit of social activity. My Spanish is pretty much nonexistent. Any suggestions for activities for people in the area other than a day at the beach? Are there any English language social clubs? Sports teams?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The Meeting Place is your best option.

Rocky's Bar in Sosua also has weekly showings of English language films. I know you are not into the bar scene but you could always sip a fruit juice (like I do). The manager there (Rick) is Canadian and very hospitable.

I note you use the words "film" as we do in the UK, rather than "movie" as in the US. Is "film" normal Canadian usage?

Finally, if you have a DVD player I would be happy to exchange DVDs with you. I live in Pto Pta.

danmonte

Jan 27, 2012
Yes, The Meeting Place is a good place to check out. I know this Sunday (March 25) there is the "My Week with Marilyn" movie at 3 pm there. I saw the movie in Florida. Certainly brought back memories of the magic of Marilyn. She was special. After seeing it I found the DVD of Some Like it Hot movie with Marilyn Monroe. Check with The Meeting Place for other movie showings. The venue is quite good -- like a mini-theatre with airconditioning (and free popcorn).

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Rocky's has movies on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 7:30 pm - no charge, but most people either eat or drink or both as they watch. Movies are in English with Spanish (usually) subtitles; every now and again the subtitles are French. An example: Tower Heist was last week as was Midnight in Paris. And great people, great comraderie.

popboyd

Mar 23, 2012
Thanks for info. Checked with The Meeting Place and this Sunday it is The Artist -- the one that won the Academy Award. My wife saw and says it is really interesting. The Marilyn film is to be later on. Their website gives schedule and reviews. I will check out Rocky's later. Seems like the guy that runs film club at Meeting Place is a real film addict.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The Meeting Place is your best option.

Rocky's Bar in Sosua also has weekly showings of English language films. I know you are not into the bar scene but you could always sip a fruit juice (like I do). The manager there (Rick) is Canadian and very hospitable.

I note you use the words "film" as we do in the UK, rather than "movie" as in the US. Is "film" normal Canadian usage?

Finally, if you have a DVD player I would be happy to exchange DVDs with you. I live in Pto Pta.

"Film" is widely used in the U.S. as well. Most commonly when referring to the more academic or serious aspects of "FILMS", vs. the strictly entertainment value of "MOVIES". LOL Or, maybe when used by educated people vs. the common folk.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Rocky's has movies on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 7:30 pm - no charge, but most people either eat or drink or both as they watch. Movies are in English with Spanish (usually) subtitles; every now and again the subtitles are French. An example: Tower Heist was last week as was Midnight in Paris. And great people, great comraderie.

Need something like this in P.C. / el Cortecito.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
meeting place as said before.
there is also a cinema in POP, in playa dorada complex. blockbusters and not exactly up to date but sometimes it's all you need :)
if you have a computer with fixed internet connection you can download just about anything, all types of movies, all languages.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Need something like this in P.C. / el Cortecito.
Ciudad Las Canas at the entrance to Cap Cana has a couple of film nights a week. When they send me their programme of events I post it in the East Coast Calendar thread.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i forgot to add there are planty of dvs sellers on the streets of POP. dvds are 100 pesos or so. all new movies. normally the quality ain't good and the movies are sometimes subbed/dubbed in spanish - good opportunity to learn the language a little.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
i forgot to add there are planty of dvs sellers on the streets of POP. dvds are 100 pesos or so. all new movies. normally the quality ain't good and the movies are sometimes subbed/dubbed in spanish - good opportunity to learn the language a little.
Always 50 pesos each from all the sellers. I haven't paid more for many years. I have bought hundreds but have now almost given up because the quality is generally appalling. They mostly seem to be getting them now from a Russian source* which seems to copy the film by pointing their cameras at the cinema screen rather than by electronic transfer. As you might imagine, the results are less than impressive.

If you always buy from the same guy(s) they will exchange them if you complain, but normally for something equally bad.

I now order originals from Amazon and ask my friends to mule them in and would be interested in swapping original DVDs with other Pto Pta movie fans.

*No doubt dv8 will enjoy this slur on her Russian former neighbours.