Looking for fresh bean sprouts!

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Nothing dramatic or earth shattering!! Just wanted to know where/if you can get fresh bean sprouts on the North Coast?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
you could try sprouting yourself? Chickpeas are really easy. Just put some dry ones in a dish of water to rehydrate and then drain the water but keep them moist and covered.
Every day give them a rinse and put them back and after a few days they will sprout...delicious!

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
You can pretty much do that with any bean and the Dominican republic has no shortage of beans. Some sprout very quickly, 1 day to sprout and 3 or 4 to eating size. Just cover with water for a day, drain and place on a wet towel to keep moist. After first day, keep cool but not refrigerated.

Often, the small white beans used by most cooks, when soaked overnight, will actually sprout before they are cooked, leaving little "worm like" sprouts in the bean sauce. I threw away a couple of batches before I figured it out!

Dec 21, 2008
If you find the mung beans commonly used for sprouting, let me know. I really miss fresh bean sprouts as the canned ones are expensive and kinda nasty!

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
My research says you can substitute dominican guandules for mung beans...very similar and easy to sprout.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Travelling from PP, get off Javilla Tours on 30 Marzo in Santiago and turn right, past the Progresso Bank and on one of the cross roads (forgot the street name) there is a Chinese Store. I found mung beans there and dried ****ake mushrooms.