El Choco restaurant in Sosua

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Last night a group of 10 of us went to the El Choco restaurant for their Fondue. A traditional Swiss cheese fondue is one of my favorite foods and I am very happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed their cheese fondue. Some of our group also had the meat fondue and this was just as good with quality meats and numerous sauces. The price is approximately 650 pesos per person and well worth paying the price. Some of you might think of this as expensive, but try doing a cheese fondue at home, with the price of cheese so high you might as well go to El Choco. I am really looking forward to going back. Even mi esposa enjoyed it and she was not impressed when I was explaining to her beforehand what she would be eating....a bowl of melted cheese with bread! But she certainly ate her fair share which made me very happy. Go try it for yourselves!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
As it happens I had lunch there with a good friend yesterday and was pleased that the 'chivo picante' was available again and I have to say that it was excellent served with arroz blanco (my selection) and an excellent small selection of fresh vegetables.

Would definitely recommend again now.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am glad to see some good reviews again. The place and really gone down hill and we have avoided it. May be worth another try.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
On the recommendation of a friend who recently spent a great evening there, both food and entertainment wise, I tried it again for lunch last week.

I ordered the chivo picante (spicy goat) and it was very, very good - nicely prepared and presented with rice and a variety of vegetables.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I love cheese fondue, although it is not really the food to eat in this climate... lol. Even the Swiss normally only eat it in winter...

I think the price mentioned sounds reasonable, if you take into account a package of cheese-fondue in Playero costs more than 500 rds, and is supposed to feed 2. One package will not give you a full meal for 2, and 2 packages are too much.

Then, as it isn't that great I spruce it up with Kirsch liquor and white wine. Then you have to buy the nice french bread...

And worst of all, you have to spend a couple of hours cleaning out the pot...

I will certainly give it a try, when it rains and is freezing (70 degrees fahrenheit)... lol

BelgianK

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Wow!! Good restaurant. Attentive owner. We had a hearty appetizer of cheese fondue, which was very good. (Cheese not as heavy as my mom makes, but then maybe my mom does fondue wisconsin style and not true swiss!!!)

The fish we ordered was good, not great. Reasonable prices.

Want to go back for steak fondue.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Had lunch there yesterday; service very good, friendly. Food good, nicely presented, reasonable priced. Glad to have them back.

xGabriela

Aug 15, 2010
www.christ-radloff.com
Chicken with spinach and cheese there is just delicious. The cakes are wonderfull. The service was super. Very often a meal in a restaurant is a big frustration, but not in Parada el choco. We will be back very soon.