importing motorbike

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, I heard it's not possible or at least complicated to move to DR with your own car... But how is it with a motorbike... I have a Yam XT 600 (year 1999). How does it go to move to DR with it and get it registrate? :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
5 years max, and you'll be raked over the coals by adaunas...

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
well it seems its for 5 years max to import a bike, and eventually sell it. But it can be older if one takes it with all his stuff while moving to DR? Is it right?
:)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
well it seems its for 5 years max to import a bike, and eventually sell it. But it can be older if one takes it with all his stuff while moving to DR? Is it right?
Nope. 5 yr. applies there also.

I have bought and sold bikes in the DR, but I'm not a dealer.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Ok so I find information, but its in spanish.

If I get it well, it means, its possible to move to DR with a container with your stuff and motorbike.
And if it s more than 5 years, you can get it registrated because its part of your settling down in DR

Its said in law 314.

SANTO DOMINGO.-La Direcci?n General de Aduanas (DGA) reiter? este lunes la prohibici?n de importar veh?culos con m?s de cinco a?os de fabricaci?n, como lo establece el art?culo 2 de la Ley 04-07, as? como electrodom?sticos usados.

“Los veh?culos y electrodom?sticos importados en violaci?n a estas disposiciones legales deber?n ser reembarcados dentro de un plazo de 20 d?as, contados a partir de la fecha de llegada al puerto, o de lo contrario se proceder? al comiso de los mismos”, expres? la DGA.

Aduanas aclar? que esa disposici?n no es aplicable a los veh?culos de m?s de cinco a?os de fabricaci?n y a los electrodom?sticos usados tra?dos por diplom?ticos, misiones diplom?ticas y organismos internacionales acreditados en el pa?s.

La prohibici?n tampoco abarca a las mudanzas de dominicanos y extranjeros realizadas en virtud de lo que establece la Ley 314, del 6 de julio de 1964, ni la Ley 168, del 27 de mayo de 1967, ni la Ley 146-00 sobre Reforma Arancelaria, del 11 de diciembre del 2000.

Is this right? Any comment :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Ok so I find information, but its in spanish.

If I get it well, it means, its possible to move to DR with a container with your stuff and motorbike.
And if it s more than 5 years, you can get it registrated because its part of your settling down in DR
You can bring it in and get it registered, but you'll pay through the nose in a big way; 20-40% duty on the current price of a newer model (as determined by adaunas), 20% penalty on the duty (morre than 5 years), 16% ITIBIS, and 17% initial registration. You're looking at 55-81% of the cost of a newer, similar model...not to mention shipping and port hassles (which cannot be underestimated.) The ITIBIS & registration is on the value of the vehicle, duty and shipping

For example, if your older bike is worth $3000 and a newer model is worth $7000, you're looking at between $3900-$5600 +/- in duty/taxes before driving out of the port...and most likely a week or more battling every department in adaunas as well as numerous greased palms.

As has been pointed out before, you need to decide if it's worth it economically.

It doesn't apply as the duty-free vehicle for new residents. No vehicle over 5 years old does, period.

Tipico

Mar 26, 2012
I am also interested in clarification, since I am considering moving there within the next year and own a motorcycle I would be bringing with me (1999 BMW)

You can bring it in and get it registered, but you'll pay through the nose in a big way; 20-40% duty on the current price of a newer model (as determined by adaunas), 20% penalty on the duty (morre than 5 years), 16% ITIBIS, and 17% initial registration. You're looking at 55-81% of the cost of a newer, similar model...not to mention shipping and port hassles (which cannot be underestimated.) The ITIBIS & registration is on the value of the vehicle, duty and shipping

For example, if your older bike is worth $3000 and a newer model is worth $7000, you're looking at between $3900-$5600 +/- in duty/taxes before driving out of the port...and most likely a week or more battling every department in adaunas as well as numerous greased palms.

As has been pointed out before, you need to decide if it's worth it economically.

It doesn't apply as the duty-free vehicle for new residents. No vehicle over 5 years old does, period.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am also interested in clarification, since I am considering moving there within the next year and own a motorcycle I would be bringing with me (1999 BMW)
Same applies, but the numbers get larger.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok but normally the duties are off when settling down in DR when you are in the process to getting temp residency and cedula, right? So it wouldnt apply to motorbikes? But it would to other stuff? :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is a one time exemption for taxes when one is in the process of moving here. It allows household goods and only one vehicle I believe. I don't know if motorcycles count. The vehicle can be no more than 5 years old.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
ok but normally the duties are off when settling down in DR when you are in the process to getting temp residency and cedula, right? So it wouldnt apply to motorbikes? But it would to other stuff? :)
It applies to a vehicle less that 5 years old. There is no wiggle room in that.

Your 1999 bike will be taxed, period, the tax will be at the value of a near-new model, and will include a 20% penalty on the duty because of it's age.

This question has been asked repeatedly here with the same answer.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok then, if the bike is less than 5 years old, there's no problem with importing it within the process of moving to DR? Is it right?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
ok then, if the bike is less than 5 years old, there's no problem with importing it within the process of moving to DR? Is it right?
If you've owned it more than one year, no problem.