Post trip depression?

mamgirl

Mar 25, 2012
I haven't seen any related topics on this, sorry if I'm in the wrong spot.

I was just wondering if it's normal to feel so depressed after returning home from the DR? It's been almost a week and I still am not happy. I had my first ever all inclusive in Sosua last week;first time in over three years away from my kids and husband. I thought I'd have a nice relaxing trip and the break from "real life" would do me good.

But it had the opposite effect. After a week of doing nothing but lying in the sun and going to the buffet, I found it extremely depressing to come home and have to get up for work and make all the meals, get kids to school and extra curricular activities. All I can think about is the sun, beach, and pool. I'm trying to figure out how/when I can get back. I know - poor me, having to live in the real world...but has anyone ever felt this way and please tell me it goes away!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Eventually. The tropics are like a dream.

However, you should know that there are millions of us here that do get up and work, get the kids off to school, and putter around the house and fight and struggle to live a decent life.

What you enjoyed was the tip of the big iceberg of life. You can achieve a livestyle similar to that sun, beach and 0h-so-relaxed feeling if you work hard and save your money.

And life is even better away from the beach...go figure.

Just think that the alarm clock has gone off...and now you have to get back to reality.

In a few months, you can do it again...hopefully. And I am glad you enjoyed your time here!! Really, I am..

HB

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I usually felt like that upon arrival home from AI trips. So we decided, after many of these trips, that owning a place down there would feel better coming back to our winter home. It is an idealized lifestyle!

santo1

May 1, 2011
Depressed was not the word,i felt far worst than that,i guess thats why most expats are here now ?

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Good morning,

Depression for me goes two ways. I LOVE the sun, but I also miss my family every time I arrive in the sun.

As the song says, you can't always get what you want...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
interesting. My wife has never gone off to a tropical vacation without me. If she did, she may have never come back. LOL

Actually, we took exactly 1 vacation without the kids our whole lives, until recently becoming "empty nesters"; and actually still prefer when we can coax our "kids" to join us. I sometimes think we should have done it a little more often, but everyone has their own set of priorities.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012

I was just wondering if it's normal to feel so depressed after returning home from the DR? It's been almost a week and I still am not happy. I had my first ever all inclusive in Sosua last week;first time in over three years away from my kids and husband. I thought I'd have a nice relaxing trip and the break from "real life" would do me good.

But it had the opposite effect. After a week of doing nothing but lying in the sun and going to the buffet, I found it extremely depressing to come home and have to get up for work and make all the meals, get kids to school and extra curricular activities. All I can think about is the sun, beach, and pool. I'm trying to figure out how/when I can get back. I know - poor me, having to live in the real world...but has anyone ever felt this way and please tell me it goes away!

Yes, mamagirl, this depression will go away but you may have the longing to get back down the road. i know, have been travelling to dr for many years and each time, i hated to leave. my husband and i are now in the position to live there for at least a few months out of the year, possibly more if i can stand it enough to be away from my grandbabies. that part will be hard. your post to me suggests you are a mother with young children and have a busy life with them. i would suggest that you start saving your money for long term in the future so you can one day spend more time in the DR. Good to have dreams, and THEY CAN come true.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I find that a strong Santo Libre, and going to The Jetblue website and clicking away instantly cures any of my postpartum trip blues. BOOK another trip miamol!

tio tambo'

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is tough to pay the bills here but I will admit having the sun shine has a therapeutic effect, not to mention the friendliness of the locals. Life is less stressful down here though, for me at least, even though we are barely making it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is tough to pay the bills here but I will admit having the sun shine has a therapeutic effect, not to mention the friendliness of the locals. Life is less stressful down here though, for me at least, even though we don't have a lot by Western standards.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It is tough to pay the bills here but I will admit having the sun shine has a therapeutic effect, not to mention the friendliness of the locals. Life is less stressful down here though, for me at least, even though we don't have a lot by Western standards.
As long as you have G_d!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

You have Island fever. When you get home from work put on a little Salsa or even Jimmy Buffett, pour yourself a Cuba Libre' , close your eyes and dream of the next trip.

LTS

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hi:

You have Island fever. When you get home from work put on a little Salsa or even Jimmy Buffett, pour yourself a Cuba Libre' , close your eyes and dream of the next trip.

LTS

I have heard that cloudy skies is a cause of depression. I think I agree.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
There was a 'native' lying on the beach with a rum drink in his hand and a fishing pole propped up against a rock with the hook off in the water somewhere. A civilized man came along and asked him what he was doing.
'Relaxing and fishing.' Was the reply.
'But you can't do that all day long.'
'Why not? What should I be doing?'
'Put that drink down. stand up, grab the fishing pole and pay attention to the line, you'll catch twice as much.'
'Why should I? I catch enuff for supper for myself, wife and 2 kids.'
?But if you catch more you can sell some.'
'Why would I want to sell some?'
'Then you can buy a boat and go out into deep water and catch more fish.'
'And sell them too?'
'Yes, then you can buy a bigger boat and hire people to fish for you. You'll catch even more fish and have more to sell.'
'Why would I want to do that?'
Well you can save up your money and someday sell your boat and lie on the beach with a rum drink in your hand and the fishing pole leaning against a rock and enjoy your retirement!'

Der Fish

You hit the nail !!!:sleep:

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
wait til' your trips include more than the AI....talk about depression!!

I have only been coming for a year and a half, but I know what you speak of. My latest return to Boston two weeks ago was met with 75 degree temps...that helped the blues. But I hope you develop the means to see the country outside of the compound. My missing the DR is worse now that I live with my wife and family when visiting. This is such an incredibly rich culture beyond the obvious beauty of the beaches.

And musically (everything is about music with me), the RD is like heaven on earth. To the point where my Dominican wife and I went back to the beach for the first time in a few months in January. This time an AI in Playa Dorada. Decent enough place, but almost like being back in the states.....no bien!!! Besides the tourists (it was a tourist resort after all), the music around the pool (often Menegue, bachata and salsa to set the pace at other resorts), was this bad mix of US and British trite pop ballads from the 70s and 80s.....ughhhhhh As if vacationers needed the familiarity of their own home town music. It was awful. I almost went to management to ask what they were thinking.

No I have been lucky to be immersed (nothing to the degree of those who live full time in the RD), but enough to know that Jimmy Buffet is a complete poser (always disliked him)...now I know why....because there is such Latin musical richness to be found beyond the gates....Switching to a food analogy; The beef is not great in the DR for a reason...there is no need for cheeseburgers in paradise with sancocho in the pot.

But glad you enjoyed your brief time here...hope you get to see more of this wonderful, rico and crazy country and it's lovely people. And yes put on some music....but try a little juan luis guerra...he is the real deal and covers a lot of ground from pop to jazz to merengue and bachata and beyond musically.Does not hurt that he is from Santo Domingo either.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
The Mexican Fisherman

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "only a little while."

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then?"

The American laughed and said that's the best part. "When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions.. Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I have experienced post-DR depression many times upon returning home. The best cure is planning your next trip!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i use to suffer from post-Classico depression. my doctor told me to visit SD and STI. now i feel MUCHO better....

mamgirl

Mar 25, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I have been looking at my pictures endlessly, and also am listening to Canal 105fm online. It has a great mix of music that I heard while in Sosua. One thing I loved about the resort was how the town was just outside the main lobby, so I did get to experience quite a bit of the local culture.

I am thinking of my next trip....I just wish it could be sooner, I don't want to wait another year!