Is a Kindle Fire worth giving as a gift??

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I am thinking of bringing back one for my sister in-law but will it work here? I got a good deal on one and thought she might like it but if it really won't function well here then it may not be worth it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It is useless without access to Wi-Fi required to download Movies, games,books etc.
If you pre-load it with stuff, it is a nice gift. Otherwise sin Wi-Fi, it makes a great mosquito killer.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I have the normal Kindle with 3G here and totally love it. Then again, I eat books up lol I bought one for my mother for Christmas and she's totally loved it so far.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And it is too small to be used as a cutting board, you need to upgrade to an iPad for that:

[video=youtube;sCCKGvzj1NY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCCKGvzj1NY[/video]

Yes a Kindle would be a good gift if they have access to WIFI as was mentioned.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Thanks for your replies. They do have Wi-Fi where they live, spotty at times but they have it. She is a OB-GYN so I thought it might be nice to use between delivering babies..IPad tooo expensive so I thought this may be a good replacement. I know they are not the same but maybe this would be nice for her. She has a blackberry ( who doesn't lol...) but I wanted to get her something different.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have a Kindle Fire and love it. Agree on the WiFi.

I considered rooting it, but have chosen to stay with it as is because I like the way it integrates into the Kindle Store.

But with WiFi it's a fine tool for web browsing and email. The display is fantastic!

And for the price, under $200, it's a deal! I also got the leather case and stylus.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Can you access the Amazon Prime movies with Kindle fire? I tried to access prime movies on on my laptop but it didn't work in DR.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
agreed, I use HMA (hide my ass) and it works just fine. Makes other computers think i'm in Miami so I can use hulu+, netflix, etc, etc...