Bringing furniture or vehicles to DR after receiving residency

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I know this is a played out topic, but my question is somewhat unique.

I just received my residency and sadly it took almost two years. I have been living here on/off for most of that time.

I do not have any real belongings to bring in, my question is the possibilty of being able to take advantage of this timing and BUY new things from the USA to ship to the DR if that still qualifies for the residency benefit program.
Do the products you bring, especially car, have to be owned in advance or can be bought new and shipped over.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Furniture can be new... car must be owned for 1 year prior to importation.

If you haven't planned the car/1 year part in advance its hard to do, because the importation needs to be within 6 months of residency.

Its the old business school " 6P "theory..... proper planning prevents......

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Furniture can be new... car must be owned for 1 year prior to importation.

If you haven't planned the car/1 year part in advance its hard to do, because the importation needs to be within 6 months of residency.

Its the old business school " 6P "theory..... proper planning prevents......

Thanks,
I welcome opinions on;

Based on purchasing say 10k usd in furniture/appliances- plus the shipping, is it worthwhile to take advantage of this, or just buy at SD IKEA and the like.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Thanks,
I welcome opinions on;

Based on purchasing say 10k usd in furniture/appliances- plus the shipping, is it worthwhile to take advantage of this, or just buy at SD IKEA and the like.

Dunno if it will make sense. But do know IKEA prices here are generally double what they are in the USA.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
There are amazing places in Santiago and Santo Domingo to buy furniture or, as I did, bring in photos of the furniture you want built for you. The cost of a $5000 chair from the US was $750 here. Dominican craftsmen, when you can locate them, are amazing!

Jan 17, 2009
I would do it for nice sofas, good mattresses, and any electronics -- specially electronics, most of what you can buy here is older models that have already been discontinued, many brands that is impossible to find repair parts (even in the US), and I would dare say, many rejects (read not passing inspection to be sold in North America).

Regarding furniture, it may be like Castellamonte says, if you find a good craftsman, then it is not worth it. It all depends on your taste. I find furniture pretty tacky in design and when they are nice lines, they are ways too expensive -- maybe because they tend to be made of the most expensive woods

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
There are amazing places in Santiago and Santo Domingo to buy furniture or, as I did, bring in photos of the furniture you want built for you. The cost of a $5000 chair from the US was $750 here. Dominican craftsmen, when you can locate them, are amazing!

Do you have any foto examples and/or contact info in SD for such craftsman.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I posed the same question about importing an auto and the timelines in regards to my residency......
I was informed by dr1's resident attorney, Mr Guzman that the import had to take place within the first 6 months of your TEMPORARY legal residency. I had thought it was the 1st 6 months of the PERMANENT residency.....I screwed up....

B in Santiago

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I posed the same question about importing an auto and the timelines in regards to my residency......
I was informed by dr1's resident attorney, Mr Guzman that the import had to take place within the first 6 months of your TEMPORARY legal residency. I had thought it was the 1st 6 months of the PERMANENT residency.....I screwed up....

B in Santiago
But! i believe the vehicle had to be purchased or owned by you for at least 6-12mths before bringing it over

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But! i believe the vehicle had to be purchased or owned by you for at least 6-12mths before bringing it over
You had to own it for at least one year before bringing it over and it has to be less than 5 years old.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

B in Santiago

Does this mean you must order(start process) the goods within 6 months after temp. res.? or must have arrived in country within 6 months? Is there certain trusted shiiping firms that deal with this or do you go through lawyers?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Does this mean you must order(start process) the goods within 6 months after temp. res.? or must have arrived in country within 6 months? Is there certain trusted shiiping firms that deal with this or do you go through lawyers?

Dimelo!!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The cost of shipping would have to be less than the incrememntal cost of buying here...and that doesn't factor in a ton of baloney from Adaunas...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

My recollection is that you have the first year to bring in your container.

In my case (responding to CB's comment) the acquisition cost was zero because I was bring mostly my own furniture plus a Jeep.
Yes, I had new TV and some other 'purchased' items , but basically bringing my world to RD.

I still maintain that buying a discounted 'fridge stateside and shipping it (~$300) is financially more attractive than purchasing here.
Just talking $$$, not quality, selection variety, etc.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In my case (responding to CB's comment) the acquisition cost was zero because I was bring mostly my own furniture plus a Jeep.
I understood the OP doesn't have much stuff and would be purchasing and shipping.

I'm bringing all my stuff, waaaaaaay more than I need/want here. I'll be selling some high-end furniture and oriental/Persian rugs...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I understood the OP doesn't have much stuff and would be purchasing and shipping.

I'm bringing all my stuff, waaaaaaay more than I need/want here. I'll be selling some high-end furniture and oriental/Persian rugs...

I guess im thinking of the key components that seem to be over priced and under quality here. i.e. TV,s , Stove, fridge.
As for your extra items, Furniture and rugs etc.? PM me if you have fotos and see if there is mutual interest. Also when you will receive them?