Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bringing furniture or vehicles to DR after receiving residency

I know this is a played out topic, but my question is somewhat unique.

I just received my residency and sadly it took almost two years. I have been living here on/off for most of that time.

I do not have any real belongings to bring in, my question is the possibilty of being able to take advantage of this timing and BUY new things from the USA to ship to the DR if that still qualifies for the residency benefit program.
    Do the products you bring, especially car, have to be owned in advance or can be bought new and shipped over.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Furniture can be new... car must be owned for 1 year prior to importation.

If you haven't planned the car/1 year part in advance its hard to do, because the importation needs to be within 6 months of residency.

Its the old business school " 6P "theory..... proper planning prevents......

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Furniture can be new... car must be owned for 1 year prior to importation.

If you haven't planned the car/1 year part in advance its hard to do, because the importation needs to be within 6 months of residency.

Its the old business school " 6P "theory..... proper planning prevents......
    Thanks,
    I welcome opinions on;

Based on purchasing say 10k usd in furniture/appliances- plus the shipping, is it worthwhile to take advantage of this, or just buy at SD IKEA and the like.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    Thanks,
    I welcome opinions on;

Based on purchasing say 10k usd in furniture/appliances- plus the shipping, is it worthwhile to take advantage of this, or just buy at SD IKEA and the like.
    Dunno if it will make sense. But do know IKEA prices here are generally double what they are in the USA.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are amazing places in Santiago and Santo Domingo to buy furniture or, as I did, bring in photos of the furniture you want built for you. The cost of a $5000 chair from the US was $750 here. Dominican craftsmen, when you can locate them, are amazing!

6. Likes Rep Dom liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do it for nice sofas, good mattresses, and any electronics -- specially electronics, most of what you can buy here is older models that have already been discontinued, many brands that is impossible to find repair parts (even in the US), and I would dare say, many rejects (read not passing inspection to be sold in North America).

Regarding furniture, it may be like Castellamonte says, if you find a good craftsman, then it is not worth it. It all depends on your taste. I find furniture pretty tacky in design and when they are nice lines, they are ways too expensive -- maybe because they tend to be made of the most expensive woods

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castellamonte View Post
    There are amazing places in Santiago and Santo Domingo to buy furniture or, as I did, bring in photos of the furniture you want built for you. The cost of a $5000 chair from the US was $750 here. Dominican craftsmen, when you can locate them, are amazing!
    Do you have any foto examples and/or contact info in SD for such craftsman.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

car cannot be older than 2005 to import

Post Thanks / Like

I posed the same question about importing an auto and the timelines in regards to my residency......
    I was informed by dr1's resident attorney, Mr Guzman that the import had to take place within the first 6 months of your TEMPORARY legal residency. I had thought it was the 1st 6 months of the PERMANENT residency.....I screwed up....

B in Santiago

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    I posed the same question about importing an auto and the timelines in regards to my residency......
    I was informed by dr1's resident attorney, Mr Guzman that the import had to take place within the first 6 months of your TEMPORARY legal residency. I had thought it was the 1st 6 months of the PERMANENT residency.....I screwed up....

B in Santiago
    But! i believe the vehicle had to be purchased or owned by you for at least 6-12mths before bringing it over

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast