4 Wheel ATV

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is a two part question.
Firstly, as a second vehicle for local trips, I want one of those ATV buggies.

Not the "straddle the engine" type but the higher end one that has a little roof, roll bar and a steering wheel.
More like an overgrown golf cart with a bit of speed.

1/ Anybody know where to get here in RD?

2/ Suppose I buy one in the US or Canada and ship it by mudanza.
Think it would sail through customs like everything else does with the mudanza? Free?

Gracias

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
you are talking about a high-end dune buggy...

I only know where to get the Chinese crap... sorry...

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've been studying.......
Polaris , Kawasaki , Can Am...... are manufacturers.

They ain't cheap but they're durable.... mostly w/ 500cc or larger engines and room for up to four.

Maybe someplace in SD has them.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I was looking at these for my ski area to pull a groomer with. (Have to put on winter tracks.) They are generally referred to as UTV's. Some come in diesel versions, but are more work oriented. The "pimped out" versions can have a glass enclosure and air cond. but then are much more expensive.

I am a fan of the Can-Am Commander. Not really for work, or what I'd do, however Can-Am is always on the leading edge of innovation and makes very nice equipment. Also like John Deere brand. They have a small box in the back which is useful for carrying things. Definitely designed more around utility, but this 4 seat model is something to look at: John*Deere XUV550 S4 Crossover Utility Vehicles Gator Utility Vehicles JohnDeere.com You can build a custom waterproof stainless steel box to cover and secure the back.

If you are not going to go off-road much you may want to switch out the standard tires for ones with less tread.

This web site may be helpful: UTV Guide

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
would you have to, or even be able to, register these to drive on the roads??? that one by John Deere lists top speed of 28 mph... not much oomph.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
SD has a couple of stores that sell motocross bikes, kits, buggy's etc.

The largest one that I know of is in Los Prados on Calle Amelia Francasci, no idea of the name.
Also might find them in the Santo Domingo Motors Yamaha store etc.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Oops- my bad. Forget that option!! That is dead SLOWWWWW. The Can-Am Commander can do 74 top speed, I read. That IS fast!! Maybe too fast!! Am not sure if you can make them road legal in the US- probably. Here in DR, sure that is not much of a problem.

would you have to, or even be able to, register these to drive on the roads??? that one by John Deere lists top speed of 28 mph... not much oomph.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Can-Ams can be bought in Sosua, about a 100 meters in front of the first traffic light... coming from Cabarete.... no idea bout the price

BelgianK

May 5, 2007
I was looking at these for my ski area to pull a groomer with. (Have to put on winter tracks.) They are generally referred to as UTV's. Some come in diesel versions, but are more work oriented. The "pimped out" versions can have a glass enclosure and air cond. but then are much more expensive.

I am a fan of the Can-Am Commander. Not really for work, or what I'd do, however Can-Am is always on the leading edge of innovation and makes very nice equipment. Also like John Deere brand. They have a small box in the back which is useful for carrying things. Definitely designed more around utility, but this 4 seat model is something to look at: John*Deere XUV550 S4 Crossover Utility Vehicles Gator Utility Vehicles JohnDeere.com You can build a custom waterproof stainless steel box to cover and secure the back.

If you are not going to go off-road much you may want to switch out the standard tires for ones with less tread.

This web site may be helpful: UTV Guide

I'm not sure if there are more than one "Gator," but friend of mine has one, around 15-20hp. It is one heck of a workhorse, damm near impossible to get stuck and you can pull stumps with it BUT has a top speed of only 30mph or so

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks everybody.

Yes, thats exactly the machine and , yes, you can ones to go faster than 28mph..... 74 might be over the top !!??

CanAm is a good one, Polaris seems to be good too.

I'm not worried about 'streeting' it too much. Many vehiculos on the road here don't seem to have plates/registration.
I just want it for short trips to town.

I'll ask the mudanza about shipping/importing.

I'll take a look in SD for them.

Latitude and nals - thanks for the links.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was in SD - there are plenty of them for sale.

The Kawasaki store has them. I saw a KYMCO 500cc for $12,500US.
Various places.

The question is to buy here or ship - provided no tax on the way in.
Buying here seems simpler - or letting them import, like a custom order.