Dominican Blackberry in the USA

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Mr Matilda is off to the US this week and is toying with the idea of getting a Claro Blackberry before he goes. Few questions.

1. Claro say it will work - just need confirming it will - he will be travelling a lot through the US
2. Claro say the internet on the particular package is free but limited to the social networks. She said twitter, faybo, eskype. Will the internet via the Claro network still work in the USA? I cant see how but what do i know.
3. She said that if there was wifi available you could turn off the Claro internet and then pick up the wifi signal instead - I assume then you can use more than just the social networks.

I just want to confirm the information he was given as last thing I want is him to get there and the damned thing wont work.

Thanks

Matilda

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Our experience with a Claro BB in the States...

We tried using it, and it did not work...

We bought a pre-paid AT&T card to put in the BB, and Claro immediately locked the phone (well, the phone locked itself of course, but you know what I mean...)

We had to buy a cheap pre-paid phone in the US...

Upon coming back, we had to have the Claro BB unlocked...

3 years ago...

BelgianK

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Silly question Belgian but you did of course contact Claro before you went to activate roaming as is it not automatic here as it is in Europe - you have to request activation.

Matilda

Feb 7, 2007
1. Unlock your BB and get a prepaid service in USA. if you get Claro BB go for AT&T, if Orange BB go for T-Mobile. Get pay-as-you-go (per minute) plan and get a data package on top of it.
2. It will be cheaper than data roaming (expensive!!)
3. Claro has 3 BB plans, Full, Social, Lite.
4. There is no Skype on BB and will not be for foreseeable future until BB10 OS comes out and even that is not certain.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks Rubio. He has already gone but got the Claro BB with the social network package - you are right doesnt include Skype. It gives a certain number of minutes and I know that roaming will use those up in no time, but what I don't understand is that the social networks are unlimited here, plus obviously use of wifi whereever he can get it. Those must be the same in the US yes - ie he will have unlimited social networks as there is no way they can charge for them and will be able to use wifi whereever it is.

Confused Matilda

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
they told us it was ok for use in the States, but at a small Claro office. Should have gone to one of the main ones.

BelgianK