where to buy CARPETING material? thin one and thick SISAL rope (North)

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Hi there, i just need a very thin but sturdy carpet material, best option sisal/wool mix and a lot of sisal rope to make a castle for my cats :)
I got everything else for it but only missing is carpet material and rope.. and i didnt see it nowhere where i could buy it. Please let me know... We might go to Santiago this week so if there its also an option.

Cats tore all our furniture up, so we bought new material for our sofas but before we change them, id like to make sure cats have a place to have fun on, instead of sofas...
By the way all material was just 11 000 pesos for 2 sofas, bought in Hedelisa home center in PP, thats way less then new furniture :D My dad is going to do the remodeling job, ill put up pix once he is done :)

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Had cats forever. Had one of the cat tower things u r building. The cats will probably like it, but might not solve your problem. The best scratching bait i ever found is readily available and free. Cardboard packing material. The honeycomb like stuff. Irresistable to cats; just put put a piece of it pn the floor, put some catnip on it and they will use it. After a while, they may or may not quit using your furniture. Old habits die hard.

These scratching products are available for purchase too. But maybe not in DR. Check Amazon. Lots of different ones. Just go for the cardboard and it will work.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
JessicaRabbit,
The large Ochoa in Santiago has rope , right down the back past the tile area if they haven't re-aranged it - sell it by the lb I think. It brown course rope but not sure it is sisal.
Olly and the Team

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jessica, try a tapiceria shop on calle beller (almost opposite ladronorte office). they have a nice choice of fabrics, some very thick - carper like. the rope... i have not seen it but then i never specifically looked. try ferreterias in POP: freddy (on manolo tavarez justo) and the one close to the port, what is it called? muelle? failing that ochoa or bellon in santiago.

i have cats too and i know the feeling :) cats do not like citrus smell so maybe buy some citrus air freshners and spray the new sofas? oh, and clip their nails. very easy, no need to go the vet. just take normal nail clipper and cut the ends.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Hi there, i just need a very thin but sturdy carpet material, best option sisal/wool mix and a lot of sisal rope to make a castle for my cats :)
I got everything else for it but only missing is carpet material and rope.. and i didnt see it nowhere where i could buy it. Please let me know... We might go to Santiago this week so if there its also an option.

Cats tore all our furniture up, so we bought new material for our sofas but before we change them, id like to make sure cats have a place to have fun on, instead of sofas...
By the way all material was just 11 000 pesos for 2 sofas, bought in Hedelisa home center in PP, thats way less then new furniture :D My dad is going to do the remodeling job, ill put up pix once he is done :)

Hi J.R.
As a past owner of cats, I can tell you that despite your best efforts at providing alternatives for your cats to destroy, they will scratch where and when they damn well please. it's the nature of the animal, for better or worse. Good luck though!!! ;-)

P.S.... it's been said that cats don't like peppermint... try putting oil of peppermint on the new sofa covering. Maybe you'll have more luck than I did. LOL MEOW. lol

May 29, 2006
The best thing I've found for scratching are cardboard egg cartons. I used to have access to stacks of the flats and a cube of them kept the cats happy for months. The only downside is they produce a fair amount of shrapnel which need to cleaned up now and then. The cartons for a dozen eggs will last about a day if your cat really likes it.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Another suggestion, we used to use a water spritzer bottle. When they tried they got spritzed! Most cats hate water so a little spritz goes a long way. When we were out, we left the spritzer right in front of their favourite scratch area. They learn pretty quickly that it means they will get wet if they try. I grew up with cats and tried everything until we lucked out with this method.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have at home one of those sprays that is supposed to keep cats away from scratching and peeing. bought it in poland but never used. if you want i can give it to you when you are in POP. not sure if it still works thou.