Dish Network

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anybody know where to buy the converter box for the Dish Network here in RD?

Looking for one since CLARO dropped CBS from their program list..... Masters coming up.
I'm getting desperate...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Looking for one since CLARO dropped CBS from their program list..... Masters coming up.
I'm getting desperate...

Have you contacted Claro....
I have Claro and I still have CBS.....Not in Hd, but it's still here.
AND, I have a NEW NEVER USED Dish converter HD box with all the accessories....
B in Santiago

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I got one I barely used.

I'm getting desperate...
Used to live in Cabrera and bought a box.....about 3 months later I moved to Cabarete and have cable included in condo.....so that box is just taking up space. Want it?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hi Guys. What is a converter box? I got dish network that I brought from the states, but cant get any of the major networks. I think it is because of the spot beams. Any help much appreciated.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Contact Dolfy in Sosua for your Dish Network needs. He's superb. 809-223-3111 and he speaks Spanish/English fluently. He might even be interested in buying old equipment if you have it to sell. I have four installations from him, have had them for years and never had an ounce of trouble he couldn't fix fast.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

I'm getting desperate...
I seriously doubt you will get the major networks here in the D.R.

An exception may be if you have a New York area address, as CBS, ABC and NBC, etc are on a Conus beam.

Most all others are on a "Spot" beam. (Possibly Los Angeles network channels are on Conus beams)

Also a Puerto Rico address may get you the networks as that spot beam is very strong here in the D.R.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I seriously doubt you will get the major networks here in the D.R.

An exception may be if you have a New York area address, as CBS, ABC and NBC, etc are on a Conus beam.

Most all others are on a "Spot" beam. (Possibly Los Angeles network channels are on Conus beams)

Also a Puerto Rico address may get you the networks as that spot beam is very strong here in the D.R.

Yes, I think you're right. You need an 'off island' address to get the most out of it.
My friend's works well and I'm going to piggyback.

Feb 7, 2007
OK, here's the straightforward info:

You won't be able to get "networks" unless you have a New York billing address. New York locals (some, not all, but all major ones) are on CONUS on 119 degrees satellite. You will need to pay for local channels I think it's 5 dollars a month.

You won't be able to get legal system in the DR. You can buy one legal online on ebay with prepaid service (Dish Flex) and have the receiver shipped to your Miami address (one of the freight forwarders). Once it gets to the DR, you create/activate account with the New York, NY address and sign up for electronic billing.

Other option is a private server DN service, which will cost you less just after 3 months of service. Private server has all New York locals that are on CONUS on 119 satellite, plus some PPV every day for free.

In both cases you will need to buy the physical dish, LNB and cabling in the DR and have local installer perform the installation ($).

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We are also in Cabrera,- get the major networks inc Espn from Puerto Rico with Dish network. You need the large sized dish. When someone figures out a recorder that will work with it please let me know. Football games that start after 9PM only last a quarter in our house. That's more info than you need to know,- but being able to record programes would be a huge bonus.
Myrna

cruzan

May 3, 2006
i am in Cabrera, also. I was told that my 3 LNB dish receiver (Dish Network) wouldn"t work here. I had to get 2 satellite dishes with 1 LNB on each. Now I can not get the receiver to work on my bedroom tv,,only the main tv works...Any suggestions?
I have not tried the New york address thing, but was told by the Dish Network people that I had to actually be in New york in order to receive the "local channels"...which is true?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i am in Cabrera, also. I was told that my 3 LNB dish receiver (Dish Network) wouldn"t work here. I had to get 2 satellite dishes with 1 LNB on each. Now I can not get the receiver to work on my bedroom tv,,only the main tv works...Any suggestions?
I have not tried the New york address thing, but was told by the Dish Network people that I had to actually be in New york in order to receive the "local channels"...which is true?

I have a name in Cabrera to help you... not much English ... are you OK with a bit of Spanish?

He just did me to get onto our neighborhood setup.... one big dish with 2 eyeballs (or whatever you want to call them).
I am up and running - no, no internet req'd.. just my box anf the dish.

I watched the NHL channel, get movies... blah, blah, blah.

I ditched CLARO to go to this.

Let me know if you want a PM for the tech's number/name

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have dishnetwork with 2 dishes with 3 LNB's total and I get local ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox stations from NY. I have HD but I pay a subscription over US$100 per month to get most channels. For some reason, the networks (ABC, etc) do not have an HD signal. Call Leo 809 772 8251

I have a name in Cabrera to help you... not much English ... are you OK with a bit of Spanish?

He just did me to get onto our neighborhood setup.... one big dish with 2 eyeballs (or whatever you want to call them).
I am up and running - no, no internet req'd.. just my box anf the dish.

I watched the NHL channel, get movies... blah, blah, blah.

I ditched CLARO to go to this.

Let me know if you want a PM for the tech's number/name

Feb 7, 2007
I have dishnetwork with 2 dishes with 3 LNB's total and I get local ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox stations from NY. I have HD but I pay a subscription over US$100 per month to get most channels. For some reason, the networks (ABC, etc) do not have an HD signal. Call Leo 809 772 8251

That's because SD signal for NY networks is on CONUS 119, while HD signal for the same networks is most likely on spotbeam on 110/119 or 67 satellite.