Santo domingo este

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
does anyone know of good rental apartments which are reasonable, like 500.00 per month? also, are there good medical facilities, shopping, beaches etc. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.:)

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In East Santo Domingo???? First be sure to reserve your cemetery plot!! That is the most crime filled of the four sections of the former city of Santo Domingo..

I vote against any move there...unless you are totally Dominican and have family in the area...Just read the news and you will see.

HB

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
In East Santo Domingo???? First be sure to reserve your cemetery plot!! That is the most crime filled of the four sections of the former city of Santo Domingo..

I vote against any move there...unless you are totally Dominican and have family in the area...Just read the news and you will see.

HB

I had no idea, and grateful for the heads up. Thanks Hillbilly

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Hillbilly is correct,but you can still find decent areas in el este.Alma rosa for example has a lot of new construction erected and coming up(being build).Some "towers" have implemented some security measures like 24/7security,porton electrico,gated property,etc.And best of all,you can still find these 3/2 apartments for around 250$ U.S.Try looking north of Jardines de Alma rosa.......check out la pulga.com and emarket.do

Feb 7, 2007

HB

HB, I would disagree that "all SD Este" is bad. I know people who rent(ed) big houses/apartments in various "very good" sections of SD Este, and the houses are(were) mansions. I don't know the names of sectors, but I know how to get there, and the sectors are very good. One was off CDG to the left (coming from south) and one near La Sirena off A. San Isidro (towards the other side of road). And for US$500 it was possible.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
You might try los corales del sur. See on supercasas.com or aquitucasa.com.do

Barnab?

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Urbanization Italia, neighborhood on Aut San Isidro, across from la Sirena behind the ferreteria. There are a few apartment bldgs with apts for rent, two I know of with plantas between 350-600. There's a neighborhood across from the Mall on San Isidro as well; it's gated and if you don't mind living right on top of your next door neighbor, you can find some single families there in your price range. Lastly you have the Hipodromo, with the new road that connects it to San Isidro as well as Aut Las Americas, it's up and coming there's new construction and may not be a bad option if you can find a secure single family there. I have a couple of friends that live there.

Good luck

Jeepito

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I do not think the OP will like this part of SD because of the noise and the traffic. I lived in Res Amalia next to Auto. San Isidro and the traffic drove me crazy. Every chance I got I took a guagua to Samana for some R&R.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Look, Santo Domingo Este is really the sector that rests closest the the City starting from the New Highway north going west to the Capital. The area is rough- barrio ridden with crime and all kinds of drug related matters. Not all of the area is bad, but it is best to look over the region first, and then decide. Los Frailes (klm 11 1/2 of the Aveinda las Americas Highway) is particularly seedy and all kinds of stuff happens there- know if from experience. Suggest that, if you can and depending how east you want to go, look into Juan Dolio - up and coming with large projects underway. Be careful. The country is great, the people are great but like anywhere in the world, you need to be realistic about location.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, I have what is almost "family" living there, but they are professional Dominicans. and have kick-a$$ husbands.......And yes, there might be places to live, but the question is why? To save money? What is the fatal attraction of Santo Domingo. It is hot, noisy, traffic jammed, dirty, and chaotic....Why? I can agree on Juan Dolio or Guayacanes...

If money is really important, go to a town in the provinces...they are all cheaper and easier on the nerves...Bani, San Juan de la Maguana, Ocoa, Constanza, Jarabacoa, La Vega, Mao, Moncion...oh man there are so many different places and all can provide a quiet, restful life...

Now, depending on medical needs, you have to narrow things down. Santiago, La Vega, Moca, San Jose de las Matas are all within easy reach of very good medical facilities.

You know, I am betting that there are places in the National District, maybe in Ciudad Nueva, that rent at a reasonable rate. And in other parts as well....

Oh well. Give us a reason why that area...

HB

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hillbilly is correct,but you can still find decent areas in el este.Alma rosa for example has a lot of new construction erected and coming up(being build).Some "towers" have implemented some security measures like 24/7security,porton electrico,gated property,etc.And best of all,you can still find these 3/2 apartments for around 250$ U.S.Try looking north of Jardines de Alma rosa.......check out la pulga.com and emarket.do
If being near construction sites is an issue for the OP, just be warned that Alma Rosa and Ensanche Ozama are zoned for high density development. In the next decade or so, it will become SDE's version of the Pol?gono Central (Piantini-Naco-Paraiso). The area is in the beginning of a highrise boom and already has a collection of highrises, most built in the last 5 or so years.

Look on the bright side, its a good area for real estate investment. The third Metro line (along Las Am?ricas) should also give real estate in the area a nice boost in value, but that will not happen for a few more years.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Hey, I have what is almost "family" living there, but they are professional Dominicans. and have kick-a$$ husbands.......And yes, there might be places to live, but the question is why? To save money? What is the fatal attraction of Santo Domingo. It is hot, noisy, traffic jammed, dirty, and chaotic....Why? I can agree on Juan Dolio or Guayacanes...

If money is really important, go to a town in the provinces...they are all cheaper and easier on the nerves...Bani, San Juan de la Maguana, Ocoa, Constanza, Jarabacoa, La Vega, Mao, Moncion...oh man there are so many different places and all can provide a quiet, restful life...

Now, depending on medical needs, you have to narrow things down. Santiago, La Vega, Moca, San Jose de las Matas are all within easy reach of very good medical facilities.

You know, I am betting that there are places in the National District, maybe in Ciudad Nueva, that rent at a reasonable rate. And in other parts as well....

Oh well. Give us a reason why that area...

HB

Well, Hillbilly, there really is no reason other than I am doing my homework on different places in the DR to spend some time, 3 months to 6 months. As far as cost goes, I just put that figure out, but can go above that for the right place. I looked at East Santo Domingo as far as beaches go, shopping and medical as just another spot. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what this place is like, hence asking you good people about it. Im grateful for the time you have spent in educating me as I am the others. Very much appreciated.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
If you go to lapulga.com and emarket.do,you can actually find decent apartments in the centro for 500-700$ us

Last edited: