Estratos 1-6 and A-D

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
My Colombian colleage was showing me a few houses on line in Colombia and kept telling me about the estratos,which I didn't know anything about,then someone posted estratos here on dr1 but instead of numbers,he used A,B,C,D.So it seems DR uses letters as opposed to Colombia that uses numbers 1-6.So with that said,in both cities,SD and Santiago,which neighbourhoods are estratos A or B???

Feb 7, 2007
I have never seen "estratos" term used in the DR and less so in housing/community description!

Now, interpolating from media and advertising, "A" would be high class and upper middle class, "B" would be middle class, "C" would be lower middle class, "D" would be low class and "E" would be poor.

P.S. You may have gotten confused by some posts on DR1 about Colombia, I know I read some posts by Robert and AZB and there yes "estratos" were mentioned, but in relation to Colombia.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have never seen "estratos" 1-6 system (1 being the poorest barrio) used in the DR or similar, although it would be a good idea.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The letter classification is used for market research and segmenting the population based on purchasing power. They also use it in the television industry, print media and such. AB are generally the better areas. Off the top of my head they would be Piantini, Paraiso, Naco, La Esperilla, La Julia, Bella Vista, Mirador Norte, Mirador Sur, Los Cacicazgos, Los Restauradores, Viejo Arroyo Hondo, Cuesta Hermosa, Cuesta Brava, Altos de Arroyo Hondo, Altos de Arroyo Hondo II, Altos de Arroyo Hondo III, Arroyo Manzano, Puerta de Hierro, Urb. Fern?ndez, Las Praderas. All within the National District. There are many more, but can't remember which ones.

In Santo Domingo Oeste there's Villa Naco and a few others.

In Santiago La Trinitaria, La Esmeralda, Cerros de Gurabo, Quintas de Pontezuela, and many others.