los ladrones de Edenorte... advice please

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
In January I got a "normal" bill of 6,000 rds, which I paid.

In January we also discovered an underground cable had broken. We had it replaced, and the electrician told us this should also save us consumption. As we repainted the pool in February (so did not use the pumps and filter) I was convinced I would get a lower bill.

To my surprise I got a bill of 10,000 rds. When I studied the bill, it showed they had first deducted the 6,000 rds I had paid for January, and replaced this with an estimated usage of 718 kwh for January, and the same for February.

This being right above the magic 700kw, I of course have to pay the 11 rds/kw.

I went to the Edenorte office of Cabarete, where they said they would investigate and they send a technician out. He said the meter was working perfectly.

The Sosua office now claims the meter was not working correctly during the 2 previous months, and that they therefore made an estimate.

The owner of the house is planning on renewing all wiring next month, in order to decrease consumption. I suppose they are just going to blame it on the meter again.

Is there anything I can do about this? I thought I had read about a new government-office who takes care of complaints in the energy-sector.

Thanks,

BelgianK

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think renewing wiring will do much to reduce consumption. If the juice is being used and flowing... it's being consumed by SOMETHING, (appliance / lights / whatever) ... if the wire is just sitting there, it's not consuming electricity... the wire doesn't consume it. If the wire is broken, no flow either... (need a complete circuit.) There might be some minuscule difference due to wire gauge and conductivity... but not enough to notice.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think renewing wiring will do much to reduce consumption. If the juice is being used and flowing... it's being consumed by SOMETHING, (appliance / lights / whatever) ... if the wire is just sitting there, it's not consuming electricity... the wire doesn't consume it. If the wire is broken, no flow either... (need a complete circuit.) There might be some minuscule difference due to wire gauge and conductivity... but not enough to notice.

You are correct.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
They used to send us the same costing bill each month whether we were there or not, as they could not enter the property to read the meter, so just presumed, which is fine, I don't mind paying a continuing average when there and know we use the same amount consistently, but when we hadn't been there for a couple of months and none had been used it is a bit of a pain.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

I do not know much about electricity, but the electrician said the wire lost a lot of its insulation, which made water enter, which would increase the resistance, hence increase the usage. Do not know whether this is true or not. We replaced the wire, because it broke..., and when it was dug up, we also discovered some people were tapping into it, so they were disconnected of course.

BelgianK

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
But remember that a lot of professionals do not know all that much about their profession, so with this considered....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do not know much about electricity, but the electrician said the wire lost a lot of its insulation, which made water enter, which would increase the resistance, hence increase the usage. Do not know whether this is true or not. We replaced the wire, because it broke..., and when it was dug up, we also discovered some people were tapping into it, so they were disconnected of course.

BelgianK

You could be wasting energy into the ground, but those people tapping in were probably your real reason. Not much Protecom will likely be able to do about that.

When you turn off everything where you live, is the meter still showing something consuming power?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
But remember that a lot of professionals do not know all that much about their profession, so with this considered....

True.

About Protecom... does the owner of the house have to file the complaint, or can the renter (who pays the bill) do so as well?

BelgianK

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Could be Givadog but we saw the bills from the neighbors and they all pay around 2,000 RDS and most of these houses have A/C and washing machines etc...
We have no washing machine, no A/C, no microwave etc...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
True.

About Protecom... does the owner of the house have to file the complaint, or can the renter (who pays the bill) do so as well?

BelgianK

No idea if the renter can do it. You can call:

Work Phone:
809 586-7125

809-586 -7120

Protecom (Consumer protection Agency over Edenorte)
Work address:
Calle Antera Mota – calle Virgilio Ortega Residencial Isabel de Torres, Local 112 Puerto Plata, Dom Rep

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks, in that case I will give them a call first and ask, as the owner is in the country, next week.

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first, it will help if ypu just call them ladronorte, saves time and nerves :)
second, pay up. then argue.
we only had one clash with ladronorte. normally our bill is 2500 pesos. one day it arrived at 5000. i cannot remember the details but they claimed a usage of, say 500 kw. miesposo took a photo of our meter that showed, say, 400 and was taken weeks after their supposed "reading". he went to ladronorte office and did some shouting. at the end of the day we paid the 5000 pesos but our next bill was few hundered, then it got back to 2500 as before.
in any case, first you have to file a complain with ladronorte. take dates, names and any reference numbers for your case. then present all this at protecom.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
so guys...every month on the same date
take out your camera..
and the news paper off that day..
and start snapping pictures...

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
True.

BelgianK
I believe (hey I have faith) either can file a complaint. You should give your meter reader a tip wink, wink. Your bill should adjust itself to a lower price bracket magically. If after the reading error has self corrected, the meter would walk or fly away your bill should be estimated base on the lower corrected bill until your meter is replaced. just sayin'

NotLurking

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I believe (hey I have faith) either can file a complaint. You should give your meter reader a tip wink, wink. Your bill should adjust itself to a lower price bracket magically. If after the reading error has self corrected, the meter would walk or fly away your bill should be estimated base on the lower corrected bill until your meter is replaced. just sayin'

NotLurking

I am seriously considering your advice...

Anyways, I called the agency...

It is the owner, or a renter with the bill in his name, who can file the complaint. If the owner resides out of the country he can give his attorney here the power to do so.

BelgianK

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
In January I got a "normal" bill of 6,000 rds, which I paid.

In January we also discovered an underground cable had broken. We had it replaced, and the electrician told us this should also save us consumption.

First who's "we" whom discovered an underground broken cable??
How do you discover that?
And who's the electrician?

Looks like you've been "borrowing free electricity" for some time;)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
First who's "we" whom discovered an underground broken cable??
How do you discover that?
And who's the electrician?

Looks like you've been "borrowing free electricity" for some time;)

WE is me, my wife and the gardener who lives on the premises.

HOW is simple. Electricity fell away, so electrician started searching...

The electrician is somebody who installs and repairs electricity for a living. Look it up in a dictionary...

Please explain how I could have been borrowing free electricity? What kind of lunatic accusation is that?

BelgianK