According to the Beeb, the average wage in the DR is $462 per month

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know many people who make millions of pesos a month. they hike up the average a bit. and something tells me that if ALL dominicans declared whate they REALLY make it would rocket even further...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I've never seen something like that before, it is a good tool. Now my problem is we've just moved away from the Republic, we now have to move back as I had no idea we were so wealthy.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Just to point out that the article mentions that poor countries have been left out of the list so 9th from bottom is not as bad as it first appears.

For example Nicaragua, Honduras and Haiti are 3 countries of the region, not mentioned.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I've never seen something like that before, it is a good tool. Now my problem is we've just moved away from the Republic, we now have to move back as I had no idea we were so wealthy.
Haiti is not on the list. At least the DR made it!
Wages can be low if the government spends money on homes, schools, hospitals, defence etc.
pi2

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is difficult to really see what these figures show when a country has such social divide, but interesting all the same, I'm still chewing over the UK figures and not sure I've made my mind up on other countries I've lived and worked, some differences seem very significant.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Haiti is not on the list. At least the DR made it!
Wages can be low if the government spends money on homes, schools, hospitals, defence etc.
pi2

Pi2,

Which countries that inhabit the list have both high and successful social spending and low wages?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i looked with a certain interest at poland. the calculator asks for a pre-tax sum. and who, pray, gives a single f**k about pre-tax? brutto means nothing to me because what i really get is netto. so yeah, pre-tax my dad was, when we was still working (retired now) getting an average. now his pension - exactly what ge gets - is about half of the average. not so bad, since my mom's pension is about 25% of the average salary...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and something there ain't working right, i put dominican republic and wages pre-tax in local currency as 39.000 (roughly 1.000 dollars, right?) and it says: "your wages is $1.639. wtf?

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
i know many people who make millions of pesos a month. they hike up the average a bit. and something tells me that if ALL dominicans declared whate they REALLY make it would rocket even further...

WOW! I was growing up in a community called high middle class (The Netherlands), I can tell for a fact that the avarege income would never ever be more than €8000,- a month = 402800 DOP (€1 = 50,35 DOP)

You know many people who make millions in DOP a month!?!? You need to tell me what job they have, daymn! You must be living in a place where people live in big S mansions and I don't say it's not possible. But you must be living the good live too then.. millions a month!?!?!?

My surroundings here are far from that, ahahahaha..

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
pi2

But it doesn't, so you probably should say "in theory".

In reality, the DR's spending in those areas is not notable when compared to the need of the population.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
:) i just know some rich people. i would not call them "high middle class", i normally say "rich bastards" :) there are many of them in DR. sadly, i am not one of them :(

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
and something there ain't working right, i put dominican republic and wages pre-tax in local currency as 39.000 (roughly 1.000 dollars, right?) and it says: "your wages is $1.639. wtf?

if you look at the tab "how it's worked out", it explains this.
the $ are not normal us$, but 'purchasing power parity dollars', PPP$.

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
1,000,000 pesos a month is about $26,000 a month or $$315K a year. The only "wage earners" I know of in the DR that make that kind of money play in the MLB.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
1,000,000 pesos a month is about $26,000 a month or $$315K a year. The only "wage earners" I know of in the DR that make that kind of money play in the MLB.

There's a lot of business owners and high levels executives who makes that amount of money if not more..Not all on the official paycheck though (taxes evading procedure).

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The chart is just for fun. If you really wanted to make meaningful comparisons you would have to factor in so many parameters it would take an economist or social scientist to make sense of it.

For a start, more than half the countries in the world aren't shown, mostly at the poorer end of the spectrum (although many rich nations like Denmark and Switzerland are also not included). Also the data is for "employed" persons. In some countries one third to two thirds of the population are unemployed. If they would included the average figure would drop dramatically, and the DR is one of them. That then raises the further complication of those working in the "black economy" whose earnings data would be unavailable to the researchers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

there is this plastic surgeon in SD, specializes in gastric bypass surgery. charges 11.000 dollars a pop. in dollars. i happen to know that surgeon's fee is about half of the total. so, he gets, say 5k dollars for every operation. now, he is not short of clients and operates every day. then there are consults and so on. i'd be nice and count one surgery a day only. 5 days a week. 25k dollars per week. well over one million dollar a year. and he does more than 5 fastos a week, trust me.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Pi2,

Which countries that inhabit the list have both high and successful social spending and low wages?

Hong Kong has half the wages of the US but high and successful social spending - housing, health, education, public transport etc. It,s educational achievements are way above the US.

UK wages are lower in many areas than the US but social spend on health etc. is high and its Universities are among the the World,s best. Wages in the UK are made up by social credits - a type of reverse income tax.
Fees for higher education are low for poorer people and normal schools achieve high standards - health services are free for everyone except a small charge for perscription drugs.

Public transport is free for retirees.

pi2

pi2