housemaid or home workers salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
HI there, I am wondering how much money people give to their housemaids or babysitters.
Please give me exact info, if paid by hours, full days, months ...
Txs

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Better that you ask your neighbors. Wages will vary greatly, depending on what the house owner can afford and responsibilities. Ask what the person was paid in their last employment, and seek references, preferring these from known people. Best maids are those that have worked previously in households similar to your own. You will have less explaining and teaching to do.
How you pay will also depend on your needs, but pay by the hour is the least usual. For some people, having house help come in twice a week will be enough.
Others will require a live-in maid. Take note that a daytime maid has the extra cost of transport.
You are required to give two weeks time vacation and Xmas bonus.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I know it must depend on the city you live and many other factors, but Im just wondering how much they get, being a low level work and considering that a clerk in an office makes no more than 20k pesos month (unless many years of experience).
I assume salary must be then really low one, about 5-10k/monthly, no more than that ...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We pay our two day a week helper 6,600 pesos a month in Punta Cana. She lives in Ver?n and covers her own transport costs.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
More than the city, it depends on the community. In line with what Chirimoya comments on what she pays her 2 x week maid, a live-in housekeeper could easily make RD$12,000+ a month plus benefits, and in a household there could be more than one maid or house attendant.

It is not unusual for house help to make more than office staff, even though they may barely have a grade school education.

Many house owners will also provide for their transportation and medical needs, and help with family school needs at the start of school (uniforms, books, school supplies, backpack, etc). Other perks are uniforms, unexpected gifts for birthdays or mother's day, gifts for their children for Xmas, and gifts to help them prepare their own Xmas or New Year's dinner, in line with what she will be helping you prepare. You can go adding these perks as you become pleased with their work.

Basically, the intention is to provide them with a minimum income so that they can afford their basics and resist the temptation to steal, and that they may be happy working with you. Good house help today is becoming more scarce.

But it is best to ask what they were paid last, get references, and ask your neighbors for price ranges.

Last edited:

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
thanks both for your info.
Really good salary Chirimoya the one you give, taking into account it is for 2 days/week, that is higher or same than the equivalent salary for full week work for many university degree workers (the ones with not lot of experience years), your maid must be happy!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
She says she is :)
We're encouraging her to get her high school diploma (bachillerato) as she is more than capable, but we won't deny it will be a sad day for us when she leaves us for better things.

We "share" her with another household, where she earns the same rate for 2 days, and she sometimes gets extra work on the remaining weekday. She is earning about double what she earned in her previous job as a waitress, where she worked a six-day week.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
In countries like this one, it is amazing how much difference you can see in salaries between many different jobs. I mean that you can get shocked knowing the salary of a well prepared university degree professional compared with others with no skills required but that due to many factors earn much more. An example, many employees working for tourism and getting in touch with "tourist tips" or company commissions can get 2-3 times salary of their own colleagues with university degree working in the company offices ... life is tough ... life is unfair ...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We pay our cleaning lady 4,000/month for one day work per week. That includes a hot lunch with us and she does our laundry also at her house (we pay for the products), we go and get her and bring her back home or we pay for transport to and from us (from Sabaneta to Sosua) depending.

Acira

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We pay 450/day.... no fixed hours.
Some days are short, some 8 - 4. She pays her own motoconcho.

Extra little bonus at Christmas on top of the double salary, etc.
Gifts of food/clothing/odds'n'ends.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We pay 6OOO for 5 days a week from 10 am - 4:30. She washes the floors, makes lunch and supper, and does a few small errands. She only lives a few houses a way and is a relative. So far after 3 months there is no reason to suspect her as being dishonest.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
We pay our cleaning lady 4,000/month for one day work per week. That includes a hot lunch with us and she does our laundry also at her house (we pay for the products), we go and get her and bring her back home or we pay for transport to and from us (from Sabaneta to Sosua) depending.
Acira

If you don't mind sharing a bit more detail?
Is this a guagua or combination of transports? And what does this cost each way?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
If you don't mind sharing a bit more detail?
Is this a guagua or combination of transports? And what does this cost each way?

Guagua from Xpoint to Mocca in Sabaneta to El Choco is 60 RDS.
1 motoconcho from where she lives to Xpoint in Sabaneta 60 RDS
1 motoconcho from road in Sosua to where we live 30 RDS

Total 150 RDS one way

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Guagua from Xpoint to Mocca in Sabaneta to El Choco is 60 RDS.
1 motoconcho from where she lives to Xpoint in Sabaneta 60 RDS
1 motoconcho from road in Sosua to where we live 30 RDS

Total 150 RDS one way

Thanks. Just want to keep up on costs for these things; doesn't seem like inflation has hit too badly in transportation. That's about what I was told it was a year ago.

We had a maid from Sabaneta (we live in Cabarete) for a while, but didn't want to pay that much for transportation. We also didn't think she was an outstanding maid! You must be very happy with her to pay as much as you do, plus paying her transportation. If you ever replace her, you might want to look locally. We found there are maids who are very good nearby.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thanks. Just want to keep up on costs for these things; doesn't seem like inflation has hit too badly in transportation. That's about what I was told it was a year ago.

We had a maid from Sabaneta (we live in Cabarete) for a while, but didn't want to pay that much for transportation. We also didn't think she was an outstanding maid! You must be very happy with her to pay as much as you do, plus paying her transportation. If you ever replace her, you might want to look locally. We found there are maids who are very good nearby.

Yes we are.

Acira

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I've had the same lady for the past 5 years, now paying her 700 per visit, once a week. Takes her about 2.5 hours to clean my apartment and will sometimes even bathe my dogs. From that she pays about 180 pesos in transportation. Whenever I have clothes I don't want anymore or small appliances I happily give them to her and know that she appreciates that. On top of that I give her a small bonus at Christmas. She also stays over once in a while to babysit my dogs when I have to travel to SD or abroad (about 500 pesos per day + meals). It's not just anyone I'd trust to do that!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I've had the same lady for the past 5 years, now paying her 700 per visit, once a week. Takes her about 2.5 hours to clean my apartment and will sometimes even bathe my dogs. From that she pays about 180 pesos in transportation. Whenever I have clothes I don't want anymore or small appliances I happily give them to her and know that she appreciates that. On top of that I give her a small bonus at Christmas. She also stays over once in a while to babysit my dogs when I have to travel to SD or abroad (about 500 pesos per day + meals). It's not just anyone I'd trust to do that!

there you are... trust in someone here is worth some extra money. We can trust our cleaning-lady 100%, she does more than she is asked for, does a hell of a job, and gets along with all dogs, but one... lol

BelgianK

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
there you are... trust in someone here is worth some extra money. We can trust our cleaning-lady 100%, she does more than she is asked for, does a hell of a job, and gets along with all dogs, but one... lol

BelgianK

She's really a nice person. In the 5 years, she has NEVER asked me for money, raise, nothing. NADA. When I moved to my current apartment, I asked her how much more she would charge me and her answer was, "Lo que usted entienda esta bien." Apart from cleaning my place, she's got a full-time job and 2 daughters in Higuey where she lives. Oh and the best part, she THANKS me every time I give her something. :)

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I am the only one who realizes that at the end a housemaid earns much much more per hour that many many full time work professionals in the DR???
another fact to get crazy in this country ....

Status
Not open for further replies.