Bluegrass, anyone? The passing of Earl Scruggs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bluegrass is not for everyone, okay, I can understand that, but Earl Scruggs is way above one sort of music.

Remembering Earl Scruggs - Video Library - The New York Times

I hope you can hear a little of what he was about!

The fact that the banjo is unknown in the Dominican Republic makes this music unusual here. Too bad. Although I do believe that at one time they played ragtime here...at least according to Maestro Luis Alberti...

HB

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Bluegrass is not for everyone, okay, I can understand that, but Earl Scruggs is way above one sort of music.

Remembering Earl Scruggs - Video Library - The New York Times

I hope you can hear a little of what he was about!

The fact that the banjo is unknown in the Dominican Republic makes this music unusual here. Too bad. Although I do believe that at one time they played ragtime here...at least according to Maestro Luis Alberti...

HB

Another of the great musicians lost. Bluegrass is one of the types of music I like. Emmy Lou Harris is one of my favorites. Earl Scruggs had a big influence in a lot of her music. I am sure that the people who lived in Juan Dolio didn't like too much when I played her CD's full blast on my patio. I did hear a few comments like: What to hell kind of music is that playing? ha ha
They were more familar with the Eric Clapton music.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
His passing on the 28th went almost un-noticed. It was picked up by the news services and NPR and YouTube and the music world.
I have been very tired this week, I must say and did not read all of my news feeds. However, that music just makes your feet move and brings a smile to most faces...

Emmy Lou Harris! Yes....

Now, I wonder if we could get a banjo bachata? That would be interesting!!

Peter, that is a nice link! Thanks...

HB

May 29, 2006
His passing on the 28th went almost un-noticed. It was picked up by the news services and NPR and YouTube and the music world.
I have been very tired this week, I must say and did not read all of my news feeds. However, that music just makes your feet move and brings a smile to most faces...

Emmy Lou Harris! Yes....

Now, I wonder if we could get a banjo bachata? That would be interesting!!

Peter, that is a nice link! Thanks...

HB

I knew a guy who played banjo and I was trying to get him to try Bachata on it. But, I don't know if the tunings would work. The other instrument that I wonder about is if a Ukulele would work for Bachata.

This is the tune that made Scruggs famous, with a little help from the movie Bonnie and Clyde:
Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Original 1949) - YouTube

Oh here it is for guitar, pretty impressive:
Foggy Mountain Breakdown for guitar - YouTube