The police situation in Santiago

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Guys,

A friend of mine lives in Medellin and today while walking home from the gym, she was approached by two police officers and asked for papers, specifically her passport.

She is a white American lady, and she said the way they did it was improper and out of line.

She refused to give them anything, and went into a local restaurant and stayed there for over an hour, and the police left.

My question is: do the police in Santiago bother tourists for papers?

While in the restaurant, my friend was told by other expats this is a common situation in Medellin, and is not out of the norm.

How is Santiago in this regard?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I cannot speak for other expats here but I've been here for 6 years and have not once been asked for anything.
I've walked past the police many many times, given them a smile and a greeting wave of the hand and they have always smiled back.
Have even taken their photos and they posed.........
About a month ago my girlfriends brother was arrested in a campo for drinking, fighting and resisting arrest and her family was not allowed to see him in the jail. The police formed a human barrier (about 6-7 officers) in front of the jail door because his family was there in force with a lot of friends and it was an unstable situation. I was asked to go and see if he was alright. They wouldn't let ANYONE in accept me. I asked and they said no problem.
I was treated with the utmost respect......

B in Santiago

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Respect is earned here.

I cannot speak for other expats here but I've been here for 6 years and have not once been asked for anything.
I've walked past the police many many times, given them a smile and a greeting wave of the hand and they have always smiled back.
Have even taken their photos and they posed.........
About a month ago my girlfriends brother was arrested in a campo for drinking, fighting and resisting arrest and her family was not allowed to see him in the jail. The police formed a human barrier (about 6-7 officers) in front of the jail door because his family was there in force with a lot of friends and it was an unstable situation. I was asked to go and see if he was alright. They wouldn't let ANYONE in accept me. I asked and they said no problem.
I was treated with the utmost respect......

B in Santiago

Well done, and more gringo's should show respect to the P force here.
If you don't agree, point me to someone, who'll do that job for that salary.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I was asked for $ at least twice a month when I was driving my car with a temporary paper number plate.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
In Santiago only been bothered once but never had to show papers.

Waytogo it was good you were able to go to the station and see your GF's brother but now they know a gringo knows the defendant and it may cost more now to get him out. A few years ago HB suggested to me to not show my face when needing to get someone out of jail. I let the family handle the fiscal and got the kid out for RD10k down from RD50k. He was looking at 6 months but did 2 weeks before i paid to teach the kid a lesson.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
In Santiago only been bothered once but never had to show papers.

Waytogo it was good you were able to go to the station and see your GF's brother but now they know a gringo knows the defendant and it may cost more now to get him out. A few years ago HB suggested to me to not show my face when needing to get someone out of jail. I let the family handle the fiscal and got the kid out for RD10k down from RD50k. He was looking at 6 months but did 2 weeks before i paid to teach the kid a lesson.

Luck was with us, he got out for free........as his wife...
But...they kept his wife an extra day, she was the violent one......lol...seriously....
When they were arresting him for fighting with the wife, the wife threw pots at the police,
the whole family is nuts....

B in Santiago