Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We're all gringos

Lots of expats and tourists here think they are not gringos because they are not Americans. Not so, in the eyes of most Dominicans. You look white, you are a gringo to Dominicans. They use the term for all, not just Americans. I think that the name was originally applied to US troops in Mexico who wore green uniforms and who's presence was not appreciated by the Mexican people who yelled - "green gos home", ie, back to the US. I dont think the term is especially pejorative althought most Dominicans will smile when you ask them if you are a gringo. From my experience it may be a very very mild insult but most Dominicans recognize the importance to the Dom economy of the gringo greenbacks even if they are euros, pounds or even francs.
    In general I have felt welcomed in the DR. Maybe a couple of times it might have been a tiny bit insincere like "hello my fren" or even "hello beautiful guy". All in all I think they like us gringos

2. Dislikes Viajero disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not gringo as I dont respond to that name

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Every white man or woman is a gringo here.!
    Get used to it.
    If they start calling you an Americano...you might be insulted when you're not.
    However it's just informal talking here, when people here call by your skin color.
    White = GRINGO
    Black= HAITIANO or NEGRO.
    Brown= MORENO
    Latina=BLANCO prinsesa

You can substituted the O's for A's

And please don't think they learned at school about GRINGOS.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced on the origin of where you say the word came from, but I don't think it is offensive at all, merely a descriptive casual word to define a foreigner in many countries. I generally consider Gringos tolerated and never presume to be liked or wanted in a country where in general we do much better for ourselves and in general people do not consider or understand where we come from and just how difficult and or hard a slog some of us have had. For the most part the less educated think we get free money, lifestyles and are all living some dream. Tolerated is as stronger word as I could use, at a push, but yes people are generally nice and friendly, a lot more than we would be should the situation be reversed.

6. Likes BermudaRum liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

our cleaning lady uses the word gringo to describe us sometimes, and it is not meant pejorative at all. Just a way to describe us white foreigners.

I have heard her use some much more insulting terms to describe a particular kind of expat... (the ones who look down upon the locals...)

BelgianK

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    our cleaning lady uses the word gringo to describe us sometimes, and it is not meant pejorative at all. Just a way to describe us white foreigners.

I have heard her use some much more insulting terms to describe a particular kind of expat... (the ones who look down upon the locals...)

BelgianK
    If it ain't "maricon" please enlighten me.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

No, you can be white and Dominican, and you are never mistaken by Dominicans as not being Dominican. Plenty of white Dominicans in Jarabacoa; and I mean white as in having little or no black bloodlines. I have been called Americano - doesn't bother this Canuck at all, same as Gringo. You can actually tell when someone means it as an insult.
    White is Blanco, not Gringo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    No, you can be white and Dominican, and you are never mistaken by Dominicans as not being Dominican.
    My husband gets mistaken for a gringo all the time. "¿Dominicano? ¿Cómo puede ser?" He tries to preempt it with tigueraje, but even so sometimes they still speak to him in very slow Spanish accompanied with sign language and sh!t like "Hello my freng", especially in tourist areas.

11. Likes bob saunders, yb1 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link that states the use of gringo since the 1700's and it didn't start off to mean Americans. BTW, American soldiers didn't start wearing green uniforms until well after WWII:

Gringo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the DR "gringo" is not pejorative and if you think it is you don't understand the language.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Como_un_cameron View Post
    If it ain't "maricon" please enlighten me.
    Why would it be Maricon, that is a sexually orientated term used loosely as often as it is specifically directed at someone.

The harshest insults or signs of disapproval by Dominicans are easily understood by face tone. As you will know even the use of the nose and lips in communication between Dominicans can often make actual conversation redundant.

I know me and the Mrs can communicate perfectly well when we have company or are in company without the need to speak and from opposite sides or the room. Which I expect originated from them having to communicate over the extra loud music that is played in venues most of us might go to socialize, like bars and Colmados, in DR it is impossible because of the music and so we have the evolution of 'twitch speak'.

That's my conclusion anyway!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast