What do I do if someone fails to deliver on a contract

Michael Jay

Mar 31, 2012
Hello...
I am in the US and hired an individual in the DR to complete some research work for me on a project basis. This person received some, but not all of the payments identified in the contract, however failed to deliver the work as agreed.

What are the steps necessary to legally get a judgement on this person to return the payments?

Thank you,

Michael Jayson
Chicago, Illinois

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The golden rule is never to pay up front for services. Not to Dominicans, and not to expats. I know loads of people and companies who paid deposits and got screwed royally.

I am afraid that, if he has a cedula, and you do not, you are screwed...

BelgianK

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Unless it is a really really large amount of money I would chalk it up to the school of life. In the DR no one pays for "anything up front". Well, maybe one thing, but only if she insists and thats another story.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hello...
I am in the US and hired an individual in the DR to complete some research work for me on a project basis. This person received some, but not all of the payments identified in the contract, however failed to deliver the work as agreed.

What are the steps necessary to legally get a judgement on this person to return the payments?

Thank you,

Michael Jayson
Chicago, Illinois

Sadly, this situation occurs frequently in the DR, even when you are not miles apart. I have had a few situations like this and you quickly learn, no matter what is said, do NOT pay in advance as it will be assumed that the job is already done! IMO, You will have a hard time prosecuting this in the DR.

Marc Magnus

Apr 1, 2012
Flip the script on him.
If you do ever make it to the Dominican Republic.
Re-hire him, But, under a different name and / or use a friend to be the third party for you.

1. Do not pay him a deposit.
* If he insists, tell him you need to use your Business Credit Card.
Cash is King...so he will wait.
Sweeten the pot.
Come up with a "Bright Idea".
Tell him you have an Account with Citibank and you can forward it to a Banco Santa Cruz Account (that is a sister bank of Citibank) once 3/4 of the work is done. Your knowledge of Banco Santa Cruz will lead him to believe your aware of the "systems" in the country.

2. At the end of the day, you need to be multiple steps ahead of all individuals.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Well this is a very common practice from both side of the equations, American companies doing business with Dominican citizens or companies.. Most of the cases i hear are of American companies not making the payment to Dominican Companies nad the amount not to large in US standard but large enough in te DR to make a big fuzz about. If you have enter into a legal contract with a Dominican citizen and for some reason the person has violated the agreement and you feel they ow you money I suggest you contact a Dominica Lawyer..(fees will be small compare to US lawyer if the case was inverted)