bahia principe san juan

steviebf

Mar 31, 2012
am booked to bpsj april 25-may9 first trip to north coast, lookin forward to visiting cabarete/sosua area for a few day trips. Any suggestions for a bar on beach with good prices for drinks/food? maybe a day rate? also has anyone heard of bpsj closing may1? if they are closing i would like to know of any AI in the cabarete/sosoua area that will be open this time of year? see you all soon!!!:glasses:

steviebf

Mar 31, 2012
so BPSJ is closing may first. i choose that to be close to cabarete, what other AI's are in that area? if i stay in PoP what would the going taxi rate b? what should it cost if i can find a local to take me on a motorcycle? maybe act as a guide, as it will b my first time on the north coast.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Stevie... you'll be able to flag down something on the road outside of the Bahia Principe.

It about an hour to Cabarete - might be a long haul on a moto in the sun

Plenty of vehicles of all types go by that gate.... anything going west will get to Cabarete/Sosua... its one road all the way.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
You'll love the Tangerine. I have stayed there five times. Ten minute walk on the beach into downtown Cabarete. Ten minute ride on the guagua to Sosua.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I forgot..... Caribe Tours is in RSJuan..... they'll take you to Cabarete/Sosua if you something more commercial.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The Bahia changed hands, as far as I know, and is now called the Bahia Samana, and is in French ownership.

Did not hear they were closing already...

The Tangerine is a nice suggestion, but book into the Palace section, as I heard some complaints about the older part.

BelgianK

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
so BPSJ is closing may first. i choose that to be close to cabarete, what other AI's are in that area? if i stay in PoP what would the going taxi rate b? what should it cost if i can find a local to take me on a motorcycle? maybe act as a guide, as it will b my first time on the north coast.

You might be interested in Los Gringos. It's right next door to Bahia. Great spot. You can catch a GwaGwa to Caberete and/or Sosua on the main road. I'm sure you could make an all inclusive deal with Patrick.

steviebf

Mar 31, 2012
thanks all, the tangerine looks nice, might b just what im looking for. They even offer a free kiteboarding leason. Would tangerine be very busy this time of year? also does anyone know what kind of crowd they attract? im looking for an active party kind of place.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Stevie,
Tangerine probably won't be very busy for the next couple of months after this Easter weekend.
That sort of ends the high season for a couple of months in Cabarete.

That said, you can see the center of town from the resort's beachfront, about a 10 minute beach walk away, or 1-2 minute moto-taxi ride.

While it'll be slower than during high season, there's almost always something happening in at least one of the night spots in town. Things usually don't get going 'til 11pm-midnite. Bars/discos close at 3am. Most of the bars and discos are casual and beachfront. Music is a lot of hip hop, reggaeton, and pop. Some latin nights will give you a chance to hear some bachata, salsa, and merengue.

If all-inclusive and being near Cabarete are your goals, Viva's probably your best choice. If kiting is important, there are several kite schools within 5 minute walk. If Viva being a busy/party kind of place is important, you might want to wait until summer when the crowds are bigger.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
By the way, being at Viva also lets you easily get to nearby Sosua, about 10 minutes away.
Also, be glad that Bahia Principe is closed if being near Cabarete was your goal. Cabarete would be a day trip for you from there. About 45 minutes and not a trip you'd really want to make at night.

If AI's are not that important, members here can give you other suggestions. Cabarete these days has more small hotel and condos offerings than it does AI's, with Viva being the largest and most modern of the AI's.

steviebf

Mar 31, 2012
Thanks CFA, just read alot of reviews and like what i heard. the price is right too:classic: i think i would rather wonder around this year, get a feel for the town, prices etc and come back next year for a smaller non-AI hotel/condo. I have no real idea how much money it would take to eat and drink for a couple weeks on top of the hotel.