How to store clothes and bedding when locking up apartment for 6 months?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I havent had time to post in a few months and need some good sound DR1 advise.
Im leaving the Country for several months and want to leave my clothes and bedding locked up in my closets. I dont have anyone to Air out the apartment when im gone. Im concerned about mold with the humidity so I bought some damprid but its only good for about 6 weeks according to the package. Do you you guys have any good ideas for me? Thanks for the information in advance!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It might not be the easiest option for you but I use these space bag vacuum seal. I suck the air out with my vacuum cleaner and it's true that when you pull the stuff out several month later, they smell just as nice.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Kate. Good idea. But i havent seen those at any hardware store in the Bavaro or Fruisa area? Yes id buy those.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I use the blue shipping barrels to store my stuff. I pack it tight to the brim. Tape the cover on with packing tape. Put the metal rim on and tape it again. Before i close up the barrel i put some moth balls on top. So far in over 2 years the small flat screen tv i store in the middle of the barrel and remote have not been ruined.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Get some boxes of baking soda either with the screen in the front and open them or else just regular boxes and empty them out into some dishes and put it around your house, on bed, furniture, in refrigerator and freezer. Open all drawers, cupboards, refrig and freezer.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I use 4 damprids... (actually the local brands / found at Ferreteria America in Friusa) Two of the little quart size drip versions and two of the hanging sock models. worked well oct - Jan. since I had to cancel last trip (march), won't be back until june. We'll see how they worked for a 6 month period. I think I might bring a couple/few of the big damprids from home when I can .. the ones that look to be about a half gallon size. everything goes into the walk in closet, door closed and locked.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I've tried sidewalk chalk; dryer sheets, leaving drawers partially open, and packing into suitcases what is in the closets.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How about one of those small box fans. I think if you keep the air moving it will stop the mildew. With the cost of electricity in the DR maybe the damp rid and other suggestions may be cheaper. The shipping barrels and taping using moth balls sounds like the most effective but the most work if you have a lot of stuff.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I was away from my apartment (with the exception of two weeks June/July 2009) from Nov. 2008 until March 2010 because of my protracted recuperation from an accident.

I was physically unable to do much preparing, but except for losing some food that ants got into, nothing else was damaged. Of course, my cleaning lady came in at least once a month to clean and check on things for me.

My situation might be different, however, since the landlord lives downstairs and he and my maid kept checking to be sure that things were fine.