Mine, her's or their's?

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
I am building a house "titled" in both my name and my novia's name.
Lets assume that one of us predecases the other. My question is, does family inherit the half of the deceased or does the entire property fall under sole ownership of the survivor?
Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do not do it!! Why? It is your money and your effort. You can change novias like you do your underwear, perhaps more often.

If you have children, they are entitled to 1/2 of the property. If you were married, she gets 1/2. If she was just your latest novia, then she gets nothing if your kids know what's up. There are some rules for your novia getting anything. If memory serves, they include 2 year relationship, public, monogamous, etc....

So be really freakin' careful here.

HB

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
PM your contact information ASAP. You are in need of an immediate intervention. You are in the midst of a breakdown. What would make you think this action has any rational basis. If your novia dies, her half goes to her husband and children. Lacking a husband or children, the rest of her family will be rooming with you.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
These posters know of what they speak. You are on thin ice and its a warm climate. Put it in your name. You can always change it later once your relationship has some miles on it. This could be a gigantic life changing mistake that could embitter you for a long time. Dont be a Mr. Nice Guy, especially in the DR!!!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Wow, I don't even have a desire to answer this. What has happened to me?!?! I'm scared.

SHALENA

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, look, i normally don't answer questions like these because most people in love will not, cannot, shall not adhere, acknowledge, or listen to any logic or good advice. OK, listen to me very carefully right now: i'm a doctor--a psychologist to be exact. I want you to sit down and take a deep breath and put your head in-between your legs and breath in and out--taking slow, methodical breaths. when your mind is free and clear, i want you to listen to what is known in western industrilaized countries as this: Logic and Reasoning, but here is only known as baby babble.

What you are about to do is perilous to your mental health and well being as well as your physical health. your girlfriend has relatives--lots of relatives. chances are she has brothers and sisters, and these are in fact married to other first cousins--all dominicans (I'm dominican by the way). What is going on right now as we speak is known in the west as conspiring against the gringo--otherwise known as "White Noise" to you. You will not understand it, no mattter how attentive you are or how well versed you are in languages or baby babble. what i'm talking about right now is the conspiracy between dominican relatives--brothers and sisters, father and mother, girlfriends, first cousins, neighbors and donkeys--it's a plan to knock you out of the picture and sell the house for the money. another option is to take a loan out on the house while you go back home for a short visit. this loan will be defaulted on, of course, and then people with guns will come and take possession of your new house. this will start a dominio effect where you will pay the loan off with a nice 36% interest added to the loan in order to retrieve your house. Not to worry, it's not over. Not by a long shot! this will keep going on and on until you will be forced to buy back your house from your girlfriend at a huge loss that her dominican lawyer will get a cut of.

It's a little game we dominicans like to play with foriegners. It's a game we call "Show and Tell. We will show you everyhting you want to see to secure your devotion--love, effection, passion, etc--but we will tell you only lies in order to secure a house or portion there of.

Even when you think everything is great, beware! Brothers, sisters, cosuins, parents, neighbors, strangers will be conspiring behind your back, and just like a little bird--whispering in your girlfriend's ear--encouraging to her to take a loan out on the house, or worse, knock you out of the picture completely in order to sell the house.

Listen to me..i'm a doctor.

Dr. FRank

Last edited:

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Don't Do It. We don't want to hear you crying a year from now about how she screwed you over and how her new man is putting it down in the bed you paid for.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
YOU must BE 'twice BLESSED'1
ON jan.12th. this year,you post that you have a "Wife",who may throw you out.
Now you also have a "Novia","Lucky You"!
In the "remote case" (April Fool's Day Post!!!)that your post here is ",legit", Not only don't put anyone's name but your own on the "Titulo",DON"T BUILD THE HOUSE EITHER!
You are "Judgementally Impared"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Criss,

You mean "Judgementally impaired": As in "impaired vision" or "impaired taste", or diminished, damaged, and weakened reasoning abilities to see a clear picture. It's also an inability to use logic and deduce an intelligent financial decision and emotional leap-of-faith by contemplating going into a business transaction with either a Dominican or Siciliian. you might also call it a lack of foresight.

But who am i to pontificate. I'm just a court jester.

Frank

YOU must BE 'twice BLESSED'1
ON jan.12th. this year,you post that you have a "Wife",who may throw you out.
Now you also have a "Novia","Lucky You"!
In the "remote case" (April Fool's Day Post!!!)that your post here is ",legit", Not only don't put anyone's name but your own on the "Titulo",DON"T BUILD THE HOUSE EITHER!
You are "Judgementally Impared"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think marriage on a fiance visa in your own country is safer than what you are about to do. A prenup under those circumstances could protect you. What you are about to do (if I am correct on this) could end up in you paying for your house twice, once at construction cost and again at market value whatever is borrowed against it and still possibly not get to live there.
Why is this necessary?
Try and mention marriage to your girl and watch her eyes light up, and then directly extend the conversation into how a prenup works and how this will firstly need to be put in place (tell her in a what else did you expect manner) and tell her she walks away with what she walks in (which isn't true but why should it matter) and watch them go dull like a day old beached fish. If they don't then you may have a winner, if it is obvious you have just beached her then reconsider.

If you are in control and completely aware and confident in your relationship then I wish you good luck, I know I would hate anyone trying to tell me about my relationship, so good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think the word is judgmentally impaired, but that is not the point.

THE POINT IS "DON'T DO THIS!!

No matter what scenario you paint, there is no way this will work out, unless that house is 100% YOURS and nobody else's...

Get the picture???

Oh God, I do hope he listens...

HB

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank,
"It's,"All Of The Above"!!!
PS,Post a picture in your "HAT"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss,

My Court Jester hat is in the repair shop right now. however, i'm sitting here at the bar wearing my colorful purple tights, tunic, breeches, sash, shoes (with bells), and scepter--they're all here right next to me. when i'm in my full costume, i have a sense of levity about me...if you know what i mean; but i sweat profusely and taking a pee is a chore. However, in my outfit, I almost feel smart. but then a quick reality check fromthe servers and boss disputes this claim.

My outfit is purple, as purple denotes a sense of aristocracy, and carries with it an extra symbolic significance, known in certain circles as poontang worship.

Frank

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I am building a house "titled" in both my name and my novia's name.
Lets assume that one of us predecases the other. My question is, does family inherit the half of the deceased or does the entire property fall under sole ownership of the survivor?
Mike

Since this isn't dear Abby nor have you asked for relationship advice I will post a quote from Mr Guzman who is our resident lawyer on DR1. Hope it helps but do make an appointment with a lawyer.

if i have a girlfriend and we are NOT married and she lives with me in my paid for home;is she at what point, if any, entitled to ownership of this property because we are living together? any advise on what to do so i may protect my home from her if we break up ( and assuming th laws says she is entitled to 1/2 the house after so many years together)

Several recent Supreme Court rulings have stated that there is no "community property" between unmarried companions. However, if the companions ran a business together, the Supreme Court has ruled that a de facto partnership exists whose assets must be distributed between the partners.

There is no such thing as a "common law marriage" in the Dominican Republic. Living together is never equivalent to a normal marriage.

However, certain provisions in the Labor Code, the Minors Code and the Criminal Code acknowledge that living together has legal consequences. For example, a worker has the right to a few days off work if his or her companion gives birth to his child; domestic violence to a companion treated the same as domestic violence to a wife. On October 17, 2001, a Supreme Court decision gave a surviving concubine the right to sue for the wrongful death of her companion in an automobile accident under very restrictive conditions: a) the couple must have lived as if they were husband and wife, in a public relationship, not hidden or secret; b) the relationship must be stable and long-lasting; c) the relationship must be monogamous and non-adulterous since its origins ; and d) the couple should be of different sexes. The ruling goes on to say expressly that "marriage and extra matrimonial companionship are not . . equivalent realities”.

Other courts have expanded these rights to other areas but are in the process of appeals. A bill has also been introduced in Congress to create common law marriages. I doubt it will pass since the Catholic Church is dead set against it.

But you are asking what will happen in the case of death who will inherit the others protion.

Would be nice if well meaning members would go chit chat else where and maybe a lawyer could give us an answer without having to weave through all the crap.

Thank you ;)

Last edited:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Since this isn't dear Abby nor have you asked for relationship advice I will post a quote from Mr Guzman who is our resident lawyer on DR1. Hope it helps but do make an appointment with a lawyer.

Mr. GUZMAN's quote is not applicable in this situation as the OP states he already titled the property in BOTH names. She already has an equity interest regardless of lack of Common Law marriage. The OP wants to know what happens upon the death of either.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mr. GUZMAN's quote is not applicable in this situation as the OP states he already titled the property in BOTH names. She already has an equity interest regardless of lack of Community Property Laws. The Op wants to know what happens upon the death of either.

Yes thank you that is why I added to my post.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Must be something in the air here...

They meet some girl or boy...
Want to marry asap...
Start to buy them all kinds of expensive stuff like Iphones, Ipads, top of the line cooking pots, scooters, houses!!!, ...

I just wonder. Would they do the same in their home-country?

Or they should ask themselves and their partners the following questions...
-How did u survive before u met me?
-Did u ever hear of LeCreuset cooking pots before I was so stupid to get u an iphone with internet connection?
-What is wrong with renting a house, untill we know each other better?
-Why did u never mention u had a family of over 200+ members, who all eat here every day?
-How come u now claim u cannot call me, unless u have an iphone? How did u manage it before?
-How many apps do u use on ur iphone?
-Ur hair looked very nice before. How come u now need to go to that expensive hairdresser every week?
-I never laid my hand on my sisters crotch. How come you do so with your brother?
-Etc...

BelgianK

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Several years ago,a "Gringo" friend of mine,and I,decided we would only give 400 pesos to the young "Dominicanas" desperate enough to have sexual intercourse with us.
The "going rate" was around 1,000 pesos,and up,depending on one's ability to negociate.
We were still swamped with daily calls from girls eager to get that 400 pesos.
We then regreted not setting a 300 peso limit!
I told everyone I knew,that I could tell the state of the DR economy,by the number of offers for sex I recieved before noon each day!
One young thing said,"CC and "Fulano" may be cheap,but they are not STUPID!
That was one of the sweetest compliments a Dominican has ever given me!
Now,I did MORE than my share of payiing for,"Sick Mothers" "Tuition" ,"Celulares","La Renta", "Leche Y "Pamper",etc.,etc.,But even I finally learned that they still give great sex,even without the "Perks"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The only name that appears on the title to my house,IS MINE!!!!