2012 Semana Santa Fatalities Over/Under

May 12, 2005
With Semana Santa upon us once again, it is time for the annual taffic death over/under pool. I am going with 51. What is your number?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will go for a lower number as official statistics are always kept nice and neat. 36 people, all of them of being drunk: drunk and drunk, drunk and driving, drunk and swimming, drunk and leaving kids ate home alone, drunk and brave and so on.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"The More The Merrier" I always say!
I always find the number of young children who are intoxicated in the "Hospital Admissions" numbers.
"The ,Tourch Is Passed"!
40!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do believe it will be under.

"Why, HB??"

Because, there is not a lot of money out there right now and people do not have the disposable income to spend on the long weekend.

That is my guess.

I hope you all behave and if you drive, be super safe...

Great weekend to catch up on things to do...

HB

May 12, 2005
I do believe it will be under.

"Why, HB??"

Because, there is not a lot of money out there right now and people do not have the disposable income to spend on the long weekend.

That is my guess.

I hope you all behave and if you drive, be super safe...

Great weekend to catch up on things to do...

HB

I went with a little higher number because there has been an increase in tigueraje and bad/criminal behavior in the country over the last year or so.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
57. Going high but I will need some good weather to win. What do we get? There should be some sort of solid recognition besides the usual pats on the back and a few beers at the local watering hole. Maybe a small trophy. Of course it would have to be engraved with our name and a brief description of the accomplishment.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sometimes , the rule of contrary opinion comes into play....... like the movie business in the depression - more people went to the movies to escape the hard times.

My bet is that they'll be 'drowning their sorrows' and sadly the number could be high.
It will be a good excuse to party.........

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Where are the DR1 "PC" Police???
Last year we got a lot of,"How can you be so Callous about the loss of "Human Life" posts!
I guess after spending another year in "Paradise" they finally got the picture.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Last year we got a lot of,"How can you be so Callous about the loss of "Human Life" posts!

After 7 years here, I don't get "the picture". An over/ under on loss of life to me is inappropriate. Just sayin'!

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010

That would be me, it was egregious of you guys last year, and it's appalling now. But go ahead, please do have a few laughs at the expense of someone else's missory.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That would be me, it was egregious of you guys last year, and it's appalling now. But go ahead, please do have a few laughs at the expense of someone else's missory.

Puleeeze.......... they drink, they can't drive straight, they threaten lives other than their own, the police put on extra staff to curb it, youths overdose on alcohol, I'm sure crime and domestic violence escalates......

We can just stick our heads under our pillows (literally) and wait it out.

Its a foreign land here..... go withn the flow

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Unfortunately those being dicks cause more misery than only to their own families.
At worst look at it like this. People who put themselves in silly predicaments don't always deserve to die, but sometimes it is difficult to have much sympathy for them.
Think of it like people who stand on the outside of a silly corner while a rally car comes through at 125mph, he clips a few of those standing in the road, it's not nice and no one deserves to die, but everyone knows the risks so how much sympathy do they deserve really, why stand there. At least with a rally you don't expect many to be drunk, this weekend everyone knows everyone is drunk and so my sympathy levels drop even lower for those taking part, and up for those trying to go about thier business.
In this Video, my sympathy levels go up for the little girl being dragged onto the corner by her mother/father, and down for anyone else (adults) dumb enough to be standing there.
Simple!

[video=youtube;N4CmbbvB0m8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4CmbbvB0m8&feature=related[/video]

I'll not make a guess on numbers but I'll bet not as many drunk driver/riders are killed as passengers, bystanders, drowning and alcohol poisoning 5%.

Last edited:

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Puleeeze.......... they drink, they can't drive straight, they threaten lives other than their own, the police put on extra staff to curb it, youths overdose on alcohol, I'm sure crime and domestic violence escalates......

We can just stick our heads under our pillows (literally) and wait it out.

Its a foreign land here..... go withn the flow

Their country, their culture, celebrating the way they want to. You want your "culture and celebrations", then go back to where you came from. Or just be tolerantly respectful and don't participate publicly in such activities. I find the whole thing offensive.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Their country, their culture, celebrating the way they want to. You want your "culture and celebrations", then go back to where you came from. Or just be tolerantly respectful and don't participate publicly in such activities. I find the whole thing offensive.

Others also find it offensive, my wife won't leave the house the entire weekend, go anywhere out of the street, even to the colmado, and it is her country, her culture.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Others also find it offensive, my wife won't leave the house the entire weekend, go anywhere out of the street, even to the colmado, and it is her country, her culture.

Nobody makes others visit, move or live here. Don't like it, then realize it's not for you and stay where you're more comfortable. Then again, some people are uncomfortable in their own skin! Your posts are about as anti-Dominican as possible. Maybe it's best you stay where you are and never return.

Last edited: