Employee Health Insurance

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am hearing that a new law went into effect about a year ago requiring employers to offer health insurance to employees.

Can anybody verify this?
Does it apply to Jardineros, watchymen, etc., or is it strictly business related.?

I want to be sure I am in compliance.

Thanks.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
On 12/11 I asked this question to one of my relatives who has a maid.
She said that the law was proposed and it was being considered. She stated it hasn't passed.

She sounded as if it would applied to personal help (Jardinero, maid, watchmen, etc.).

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
If this law goes into effect, I think a lot of low middle class Dominicans will do without the help.

Is the government only asking an employer to provide health insurance or are there more requirements?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think it is in effect now and the cost is shared between the employer and employee.

I would like to learn more.

It definitely changes the playing field........... will cost a lot of people their jobs.

And , yes, I think it applies to all staff.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
This is not new law, but law that has been phased in over the past few years. It is the Social Security Law. It applies to ALL workers who are legally employed in the DR, even foreigners. It provides health, disability and pension plans. See: http://www.phlaw.com/pubs/rejec/en/ren_Most_relevant_provisions_of_the_Social_Security_Law.pdf Costs are shared by both the employer and the empoyee, but the onus is on the employer to register the empoyee and make proper deductions and premium payments.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks belmont.... thats what we all need.

I doubt few people know about this and even fewer are obeying it.

It can come back to bite you on termination.......

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thanks belmont.... thats what we all need.

I doubt few people know about this and even fewer are obeying it.

It can come back to bite you on termination.......
Worse than termination, it can really bite you if employee becomes permanently disabled while in your employ and you have not registered them in a disability plan. They may end up collecting directly from you. Employers are subject to fines and jail for noncompliance.