Recommended Easter Driving Route STI to Cabarete

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Have actually accustomed to the driving here and like it. It's kinda fun once you get the hang of it. Not nearly as boring as driving long stretches in Nebraska. Always some danger- sometimes I liken driving here to being in a video game, however there's ONLY 1 LIFE, so you have to drive defensively.

Oh, sorry- What is the best route to take, keeping in mind increased Easter traffic, from Cabarete to Santiago and back again afternoon Thur or early Fri?? (thinking it would be the winding Gregorio Luperon route)

Also, will the bigger grocery stores be open thur, fri in Santiago?? thanks, tom

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thursday everything open, friday many things closed. colmados open, of course but bigger stores shut.

i would strongly advice against driving during easter but seeing as you have no choice - take the main road (to navarete and then via imbert and POP). drive slower than normal and keep your eyes wide open. when passing any small town remember to slow down even more, there will be many people totally drunk at all times of day and night.

be safe and take care.

Monte

Jan 17, 2007
From STI go to Moca and then to Sabaneta and then Cabarete. This route is much more direct and much shorter than the POP route.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I would drive the Moca route which bypasses most places with dangerous concentration of drunk moto drivers such as Santiago, Puerto Plata and Sosua. Definitely drive way slower.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it has been a while i took a mountain road to santiago. last time i did it was in a bad shape and i do not think it got any better. and it has been pi**ing rain for weeks now. i suggested the main road because it may be busier and longer but it is safer.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The Moca route will be no bargain either as there will be a lot of traffic as many mocanos will be going to the river and the beach.

If you have an suv and it is not raining and will be traveling during the day the carr. turistica from Gurabo in Santiago would be a good option - but to reiterate not at night.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OP:
Your best route is to take the Jamao road which comes down to the intersection with the road to San Victor-Tamboril. If you go right, you come into Santiago on 27 de Febrero; if you go left you come to the intersection of the Moca-Santiago old highway, newly paved. And then you turn right.

There won't be much traffic in that area, and if you drive cautiously, watching out for the motorcycles, you should not have any problem.

The recommended route is slower, but shorter and probably safer than going through POP, the tunnel and coming into Santiago from the West.

FYI, all the stores will be open and Supermercado Central NEVER closes. I am guessing that maybe PriceSmart and Nacional and Pola might close early on Good Friday...

Have a good trip...

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I would definitely take the route from Sabaneta via Jamao and up to La Cumbre although on the way up the mountain there are many new additional potholes caused where the road has washed away in the recent rains. Having said that, if you just take it easy and cautiously it is a pleasant drive with stunning views - I did it last week.

I prefer to go via San Victor and into Santiago through Licey (takes you in on Juan Pablo Duarte) rather than through Tamboril but that is personal preference. At the T junction opposite the Nativa petrol station in San Victor, I turn left as opposed to right.

Have a happy and safe trip!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I just drove the Jamoa road, from Caffeto to Sabaneta, and WOW it must be election time, as the road from Arroyo Frio almost to Jamoa is repaired, yes some new pavement on the bad areas, so I would recommend this route, just drive slow and have a good trip.....although its a little rough Jamoa to Sabaneta

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Thanks much, guys, especially to Hammerdown, WBird and Hillbilly for the detailed info. Will drive slow and safe!! Have a good SEMANA SANTA!!!