Giving away old clothes - where?

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Do any of you give away your old clothes?

Is there an organization that will take them and give them to the needy for free?

Basically how can I ensure that they're going to goodwill, and not getting sold at some mercado pulga down the street?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Depends where you live. You can usually find people you know who would appreciate. I personally don't give clothes away in bulk, just give them to the individuals around you who are obviously in need and will use them. I don't trust any organization not to pick and choose and sell and take for themselves. I give quite a lot of stuff away to people I know who work damn hard and get paid very little. The boys at the Colmado who are there 24 hours and day, sleep on the floor at night when the shutters go down, and then are up and working as soon as the shutters go up every morning with every other weekend off to visit the family in Campo with their 15,000 p/m salary, seem to deserve the odd used pair of Adidas or tracksuit I've outlived for myself.
There is always the old people who haven't had an income since hubby or the wife died and are to old to work, always on the beg, it's nice to give to them and if they sell them it doesn't matter, they truly are in a situation and could do with it. I know there is a lot of work goes out to the orphaned kids around, but I often feel the older generation are forgotten about and they to a great extent are in some circumstances more vulnerable than the kids as they seem to be unnoticed, I try to help the oldies when I can.
I stopped giving away in bulk when I went to Africa and saw that a very large international charity which millions give to in good faith were actually selling the clothes to the people of poverty who obviously don't have any money which defeats the object, and I am certain of that people donating are unaware of.
Make it personal, it feels good to see someone so sad smile.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. My only problem is, I'm a bit bigger than the average Dominican. hmm... but you're right I will start at the colmado and the local church perhaps.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
There's a thrift shop in Sosua by the walkway to the beach that would certainly appreciate donations, it goes to helping/saving the dogs. Someone other than me can tell you the name and particulars.

Everything donated is appreciated, and there are plenty of big men who shop there!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There's a thrift shop in Sosua by the walkway to the beach that would certainly appreciate donations, it goes to helping/saving the dogs. Someone other than me can tell you the name and particulars.

Everything donated is appreciated, and there are plenty of big men who shop there!

Yes, if you are in Sosua, the thrift shop is a good place to donate the clothes. But to get to it, don't use the walkway to the beach. Use the street that leads to the traffic light by Playero. Just past the side of La Roca is a small plaza with a popular bar. Standing in the street facing the plaza, the bar will be to your left and the thrift shop to the right. The thrift shop back is against the back of La Roca.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When we came down in February, I brought my mother-in-law [in SD] 4 large bags of new clothing and accessories. She passed away suddenly before using them. Plus she had a room full of clothes I'd brought her in the past [she was a size 16-18/1X, not easy to find clothing here for her, so everything came from US].

Long story short, her daughter packed everything up and gave it to a church in San Cristobal where her dear friend and former maid is an active member.

So if you're not near Sosua, ask around if there is a church near you who takes donations and distributes them to their members.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com

Animal Rescue | Dog Adoptions Dominican Republic | Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc.
We always try to bring something with us for the thrift shop whenever we visit. I kmow it's not everybody's idea of giving but it works for us.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif