What would happen to the DR if?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
As we all know the DR has a large Haitian population, now let's say they would be all exported.
What effect would that have on the country? What effect would that have on the economy? On life in general? Would it be positive or negative?
What do you guys think?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
It would have the same effect as the US deporting all undocumented Mexicans. The country would come to a standstill.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
As we all know the DR has a large Haitian population, now let's say they would be all exported.
What effect would that have on the country? What effect would that have on the economy? On life in general? Would it be positive or negative?
What do you guys think?

We are doing that right now... the team from the OIM.. which is a huge international NGO will be coming to Las Terrenas to help relocate 1000 ONE THOUSAND haitians back to Haiti

I have more than 300 registered Haitians there who wish to return and only some of them are going to qualify for this program

see my blog start here Changing Perspectives: The Winding Road

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
It would have the same effect as the US deporting all undocumented Mexicans. The country would come to a standstill.

no.. there are already about 350000 Haitians whose names have been entered for the new work card which is being issued by the DR government.. they work for the big agro businesses and big builders

WE NEED the BUILDERS in Haiti now....

I am pressing to get them their tool kits.. the IOM only gives $200 to start a small business and they are going to take mostly women and children who can start again being vendors

but for the builders.. They need tool kits

if you want to help this project, there is a donate button on my blog

we are using the money mainly now to keep contact via sms messages

We have recieived $38 in donations

I spent over $250 keeping our coordinator in groceries for a couple of months

another 10,000 pesos on medical care for his wife

they are in SD now

My credit cards are maxxed

I have $550 spending money for the month.. but my bills are paid, and my fridge is full

gracias a dios

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sorry "Annie",that effrot is commendable,but futile.It's like PI$$ING in the ocean,and hoping the level will rise!
Besides,there are an estimated 2,000,000 million illegal Haitians here, and they want to STAY!
The construction business would stop!
You couldn't buy an "Orange" on any street in the country,and finding a really BLACK hooker on the beaches of the country would be nearly imposable!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jun 18, 2007
We are doing that right now... the team from the OIM.. which is a huge international NGO will be coming to Las Terrenas to help relocate 1000 ONE THOUSAND haitians back to Haiti

I have more than 300 registered Haitians there who wish to return and only some of them are going to qualify for this program

I congratulate you, it's a tough job, keep up the good works!

Jun 18, 2007
Sorry "Annie",that effrot is commendable,but futile.It's like PI$$ING in the ocean,and hoping the level will rise!
Besides,there are an estimated 2,000,000 million illegal Haitians here, and they want to STAY!
You couldn't buy an "Orange" on any street in the country,and finding a really BLACK hooker on the beaches of the country would be nearly imposable!

If the construction would stop wouldn't that mean that changes would have to be made to fill up those vacant places?
I'd hate to see the really black girls disappear though. lol

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009

This sounds like offering the Jews who landed in Sosua a trip back to Germany with the guarantee that Aldolph will guarantee you a job in the lampshade factories. The Haitians have been lied to so many times in the past. Why should they believe the promises of today?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Is it possible with influences like the Vicinis who apparently rely entirely on them for production, possibly Sugar cane would come to a stand still, and as for the builders on the East coast, well, that will be a cycle that continues for a long long time. Get the build done, don't pay them, round them up, ship em back then in the morning bring them back over to start another development they will again lose out on when it comes to pay day. I lost count the amount of times I saw this in a relatively short period on the Eastcoast.
Bavaro is rather like Little Haiti these days (I don't mean anything by that, just an observation that surprised me last year)
I think the country would be screwed to be honest. You can say what you like to this generalisation of mine but I'd rather have a Haitian labouring for me than a Dom any day of the week. More work, less breaks, less hassle and just get on with it without all the drama over every little thing, and it's not a money consideration, to me a worker would be paid the same for a certain job no matter what side of the tracks he is from.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You can say what you like to this generalisation of mine but I'd rather have a Haitian labouring for me than a Dom any day of the week. More work, less breaks, less hassle and just get on with it without all the drama over every little thing, and it's not a money consideration, to me a worker would be paid the same for a certain job no matter what side of the tracks he is from.

Very similar to the situation in Arizona. Most prefer to have a Mexican working than a Native American Indian. More work, less drugs, less alcohol.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012

And out of a...................................................................................................................................................

Jan 9, 2004
I am pressing to get them their tool kits.. the IOM only gives $200 to start a small business and they are going to take mostly women and children who can start again being vendors

MA:

Am I missing something here. Would not "children who can start again being vendors" be in violation of much you stand for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
MA:

Am I missing something here. Would not "children who can start again being vendors" be in violation of much you stand for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

sorry -- must have mis typed.. WOMEN is what I meant but in truth I do not know the details of the entire program.. just what I saw in the clip. The OIM program actually pays for a year of the children's school.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

I am sure that many of the Haitians who are here do indeed wish to stay

There are also a large number of them who would like to return.

This project is only dealing with the ones who wish to return.

The issue in places like Las Terrenas and perhaps Juan Dolio is that many came here and had a bit of work and no do not have any.

I did not start with this - I just asked the Haitians up in LT - once I saw that at least one of them was showing signs of kwashikor.. which is nutritional deficiency in which one's hair turns red...what THEY wanted.

And they said that they wanted to go back.

But many do not have the money to go back

And most do not have papers.

For me now, the only issue is to try to push the IOM and the funding agencies -- who design the program... to provide tools for the construction workers who wish to go back .

Perhaps this is only going to cover a small percentage of Haitians here.

But it is what they wanted.

Of course, if they stay here .. without papers.. and then have children.. then the number of really vulnerable people in the population increases.

two million Haitians here now is the estimate

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Haitians who want to stay in the DR just walk back across the border if they are deported. Dominican officials know that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is nothing stopping those Haitians without money from returning to Haiti- they mainly got to where they are in the DR without money. If most Haitians left there would be a temporary shutdown/slow down in agriculture and contruction. Some Dominicans would fill the void and overall the DR would be better off, especially the medical system.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Looking at this more seriously, I think that agriculture (rice, bananas and platanos, and coffee and cacao) would be affected first. (and maybe some other crops).

Then construction, but I think that many Dominicans would be willing to fill in since some of these jobs pay fairly well (above minimum wage).

Of course street vendors would tend to disappear for a while at least.

On the other side, of course with any sort of identification, migrations could be better monitored. There is no way to stop it, so monitoring is the only real option. One major issue is the lack of proper identification in Haiti...so much was destroyed and who has the time or money to go through church baptismal records and other such information if it exists at all>???

This complicates things. It is nearly impossible to identify a Haitian that does not want to be identified.

This is a serious issue and should be dealt with in a serious manner....it will not go away.

Cordially,

HB

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, The DR would be better off so that average Dominicans would receive fair wages and be able to use hospitals and other Government services. The old excuse that Dominicans do not want to do construction work is as alway bull from wealthy people who want low paid workers who accept abuse without complaint.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good Morning, The DR would be better off so that average Dominicans would receive fair wages and be able to use hospitals and other Government services. The old excuse that Dominicans do not want to do construction work is as alway bull from wealthy people who want low paid workers who accept abuse without complaint.

how do you arrive at that conclusion? if labor becomes too expensive, the Dominican commercial classes will find ways around the increases, such as by mechanization