Looking for a 1-2 Terrabyte backup drive

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Hi all, as the title mentions I'm looking for a 1-2 terrabyte external backup drive for my mac. Anyone seen items like this in SDQ at a reasonable price?

thanks in advance
Karlheinz

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go to Omega Tech on JFK, just east of the intersection of Nunez and JFK.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Omega+Tech+santo+domingo&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Soluciones+Scotiabank+Omega+Tech,+Av+John+F.+Kennedy,+Los+Prados,+Santo+Domingo+Province,+Dominican+Republic&t=m&z=14&ll=18.479942,-69.96078&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Omega+Tech+santo+domingo&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Soluciones+Scotiabank+Omega+Tech,+Av+John+F.+Kennedy,+Los+Prados,+Santo+Domingo+Province,+Dominican+Republic&t=m&z=14&ll=18.479942,-69.96078&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Hi all, as the title mentions I'm looking for a 1-2 terrabyte external backup drive for my mac. Anyone seen items like this in SDQ at a reasonable price?

thanks in advance
Karlheinz
I would order on Internet. We bought one locally about 2months ago and it's already unreliable. I firmly believe the stuff here is seconds or rejects. Seriously.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I see them all the time on newegg.com also...and on Amazon. Problem with newegg is that they automatically cancel anything from here. You need to have it ordered in the states and shipped here.

But carlheinz, Please check at these places, newegg and tigerdirect.com...they do have excellent service and prices. Then you can compare...

Delivery here is a piece of cake through CPS, EPS or Biz Mail....

HB

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would order on Internet. We bought one locally about 2months ago and it's already unreliable. I firmly believe the stuff here is seconds or rejects. Seriously.

Would you say that about Omega Tech and their stock?

I'm guessing you haven't brought anything from them, correct?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I want to check prices locally and then compare with US purchase. Between the taxes and RD$200/lb. EPS charges I thought it might be actually cheaper to purchase here if good quality. I'll check the OmegaTech - thanks
Karlheinz

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Guess I don't understand you. Don't u ship to USA address and then one or the reshippers brings here?

Some places "know" when you use a "Freight Forwarder" and refuse/cancel the order.

Be careful with Tiger Direct, they have that policy, as they cancelled a confirmed order once to me for that very reason. I called them and they told me that was the reason. Once they reject you, it will be hell to get orders sent after that.

I was using Business Mail, maybe EPS's address is not in their system as a "Freight Forwarder".
Since then Business Mail has changed their Doral Florida address, so maybe now the orders will go through. But be prepared for disappointment just in case.

D

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Some places "know" when you use a "Freight Forwarder" and refuse/cancel the order.

Be careful with Tiger Direct
D

I've had one reject on my US mailing address.. Tiger Direct. I took my business somewhere else, not a problem. Most will ship unless it's a PO box.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008

Be careful with Tiger Direct, they have that policy, as they cancelled a confirmed order once to me for that very reason. I called them and they told me that was the reason. Once they reject you, it will be hell to get orders sent after that.

I was using Business Mail, maybe EPS's address is not in their system as a "Freight Forwarder".
Since then Business Mail has changed their Doral Florida address, so maybe now the orders will go through. But be prepared for disappointment just in case.

D
Thanks for explanation.
Anyone know why TigerDirect or any other vendor would care? Something I obviously am missing here.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Would you say that about Omega Tech and their stock?

I'm guessing you haven't brought anything from them, correct?
You are correct.
I bought the bad external Hitachi 1TB drive in Sosua. I forget the name of the place, but on highway coming into Sosua from Cabarete, North side in stripmall, on ground floor. I will try to notice their name and post next time I drive by. It was sold as new, but I bet it was a refurb or a return or one that didn't pass testing. It is unstable, but that takes a bit of time to be noticable. But unreliable is unacceptable in your backup drive!! Next step is for it to be dead, so we cannot use it. Got another one from Amazon to replace it. So TOTAL waste of money AND our time. We have had many external drives and most last at least 2 years, even the cheapest ones......and this one wasn't cheap!!

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
We now need a printer and I would love to just go to the store and buy one.....but I don't dare do it. The DR hurts itself by bringing in second-rate electronics. I don't care if I pay more here, but I do require first quality merchandise. So I will be ordering from Amazon.....not to save money, but to have peace of mind.:(

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We now need a printer and I would love to just go to the store and buy one.....but I don't dare do it. The DR hurts itself by bringing in second-rate electronics. I don't care if I pay more here, but I do require first quality merchandise. So I will be ordering from Amazon.....not to save money, but to have peace of mind.:(

I bought one at Duplex, in Cabarete. A Canon Pixma PM280 all-in-one, and he was by far the cheapest of the 3 stores (the 2 in Sosua, and him). The owner is Dutch, and so far I have gotten excellent service from him. Mind you, for drives, etc... I would order from the States.

It is a shame you cannot order online from OmegaTech, or I would give them a try.

BelgianK

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
southwardbound2: sent you an email explaining why. Also folks, it is not the US mailing address, it is your internet address that puts you in a foreign country!! That is why newegg won't sell us anything here.

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Don't paint all distributors with the same brush. Have you ever brought anything from Omega Tech?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Don't paint all distributors with the same brush. Have you ever brought anything from Omega Tech?
No, I have not. I answered this a few posts ago. You must have missed it.
You are correct.
I bought the bad external Hitachi 1TB drive in Sosua. etc.
Any way for someone living in Cabarete to buy from them other than a road-trip? I would like to buy locally, but it has to be first quality. So far, I have regretted technology purchases within the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

D

I have used Tiger Direct and TransExpress/Vimenca as a forwarder without a problem. TransExpress is cheaper and faster than the others with my getting my shipments 2 days after they arrive in Florida.