Tipping in RD

Jose Papito

Oct 30, 2011
Would a "normal" "average" dominican tip say in a place where the mandatory 10% propina was already included on the bill?

Does your everyday dominican tip over and above? Is it expected by standards? Is it expected by staff?

Is it expected only from gringos?

I've asked this question numerous times and was even told by some waiters that it's some sort of obscure tax - which I know not to be true. Whether the owner keeps that 10% is somewhat of a moot point to me - just like I never follow through to see if he pays his chef or taxes or etc..

jp

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans seldom "TIP".
"Owners" of large restaurants divide the "Service Charge",and "Tips" among their employees,but then,those same "Owners" count the money!
CCC

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Dominicans seldom "TIP".
"Owners" of large restaurants divide the "Service Charge",and "Tips" among their employees,but then,those same "Owners" count the money!
CCC

in my experience dominicans always tip at restaurants.
of course they don't work to those inane percentage calculations that a lot of foreigners like to work with, but would leave anything from coins returned to rd$50 to rd$100.
depending where you go.......not often you would see more than a rd$100 though.

....................am i wrong?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
in my experience dominicans always tip at restaurants.
of course they don't work to those inane percentage calculations that a lot of foreigners like to work with, but would leave anything from coins returned to rd$50 to rd$100.
depending where you go.......not often you would see more than a rd$100 though.

....................am i wrong?

You're describing more the 'Gringo' with the Dominican wife rather than the Dominican couple. A Dominican will wait for change a gringo might be embarrassed to.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
You're describing more the 'Gringo' with the Dominican wife rather than the Dominican couple. A Dominican will wait for change a gringo might be embarrassed to.

i don't remember ever observing that.
i was thinking mostly of dominicans i know.....not necessarily 'couples' either.

honestly .........are there "gringos" who are embarrassed to wait for change? .............why?

"yes"!
Cc

well....i did say "depending where you go..."

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
honestly .........are there "gringos" who are embarrassed to wait for change? .............why?
Oh I think you know, if you've been familiar with the country for as long as your profile states you have been a part fo this board, as we've all seen, know or are the type of gringo who love to be seen wealthy enough for change not to be important.

Some Dominicans also like to be seen as wealthy enough for change not to be important, but they also don't mind showing they are wealthy by not giving it away easily.

I think you were asking your 'average' Dominican, and by percentage I don't think the 'average' does tip much, unless on occasion, venue etc.