Vacationing in POP in May. Do you guys know any good...

Librarian22

Apr 1, 2012
Hello all,

Ill be visiting Puerto Plata for the first time this coming May. I am of dominican background and am familliar with other parts of the country but since it will be my first time there and Im only staying 6 days, I was hoping for some insight.

Firstly, I have a love affair with cheese and Queso de Hoja is my favorite. Are there any campos nearby where I can buy it fresh?

Also, where can I find the best cangrejo guisado and mondongo? No touristy places please. :lick:

Amber, what is the going rate for mediocre jewelry? I'm on a tight budget but definitely wanted to purchase a few pieces and Larimar as well. Do you guys know of any decent places? And are the street vendors reliable when it comes to authenticity.

Lastly, I want to visit Samana but no that driving in DR is horrendous for the faint of heart (myself) how long does the guagua take to get there and how much does it cost?

Any feedback I can get is great. Thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A "Librarian"???????
Do you mean "Know",instead of "No"????????????????????????
If you don't like "Touristy" places,you should probably NOT be staying at an "All Delusive" resort!:lick::lick::laugh:
But dominicans do think that "AIs" are "High End" resorts!:p

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
You can buy Laramar on the street, but I would be wary of Amber. There is plenty of fake stuff around.

As far as the going rate is concerned, offer about 40-50% of what they are asking and go from there.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Hello all,

Ill be visiting Puerto Plata for the first time this coming May. I am of dominican background and am familliar with other parts of the country but since it will be my first time there and Im only staying 6 days, I was hoping for some insight.

Firstly, I have a love affair with cheese and Queso de Hoja is my favorite. Are there any campos nearby where I can buy it fresh?

Also, where can I find the best cangrejo guisado and mondongo? No touristy places please. :lick:

Amber, what is the going rate for mediocre jewelry? I'm on a tight budget but definitely wanted to purchase a few pieces and Larimar as well. Do you guys know of any decent places? And are the street vendors reliable when it comes to authenticity.

Lastly, I want to visit Samana but no that driving in DR is horrendous for the faint of heart (myself) how long does the guagua take to get there and how much does it cost?

Any feedback I can get is great. Thanks

Check out Maimon for some good food. You are going to be in the North Coast and not visit the great city of Santiago? I know where you could get that cheese but the place is in the Santiago area