Palm tree danger?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
In my garden, between my house and next door's is a big old palm tree that was struck by lightning last year. It died immediately and all the leaves have now fallen off leaving just a trunk which is about 50 feet high. My neighbour wants me to cut it down as she thinks it is a danger to our houses, but it would be very difficult and expensive to do this because of its position. I think it is safe to leave it because the lack of leaves make it less vulnerable to the wind and it still has its roots which have grown over many years.

Anybody know if it is safe to leave the trunk standing?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Palm trees have a round, shallow root ball. It is risky to leave it and wait for God to take it down in the next wind as its liable to fall anywhere. Easiest thing is for a guy to climb up and attach a rope near the top and have a few guys pull it down where you want it. It should not cost much. Only catch is if you live in a city with regulations. In Sosua we had a dead tree growing thru the middle of a colmado we bought and we had to go through the city government of Sosua to remove it. The paperwork took a while and my wife is Dominican. I sent you a pm.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If the trunk is not damaged then it could probably continue to stand there for quite some time. If the trunk has been damaged then it WILL continue to rot, at what extent I don't know, it depends on the amount of damage. I'd personally be inclined to go off root bulb exposure to how much it is leaning, and how far up any damage is, consider all this and then make a decision.
Could you not just ask one of the local lads to take it down for you. You'll easily find a strong young lad willing to climb it and lop it in sections for you.
One thing for sure though is Palm is not like other trees and will not recover to any extent, it will just continue to rot if it is truly dead.
How do you know it is dead?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
How do you know it is dead?

It seems dead enough to me. Gradually all the leaves fell off since it was struck nearly a year ago and no sign of any new life. The trunk is all there but black at the top where it was struck. Do you think it could be still alive then? How could I tell?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are guys that do this well. They can take it down by sections.

I would suggest this be done sooner rather than later. The old "safe is better than sorry" idea.

If you are North Shore people just ask the guys that get coconuts...they'll lop off parts...prolly cost RD$1000 and some beer.

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The tree boys are incredible..
We had a damaged tree that we feared would fall and knock down the neighbors' power lines..... needed to take action.

The coconut boy came over and chopped it piece by piece from the top with his colline/machete, whatever.
He then trimmed some more trees.

All day 800 pesos.

It was fun to watch.

I bet they'll just pull your s down in no time.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I had one chock full of woodpeckers after it died from a lightning strike. After about a year it crashed down on our roof
causing about $10 K pesos in damage and missed my car by an inch. I'll chop the next one down right away once it's dead.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
And he's right

There are guys that do this well. They can take it down by sections.

I would suggest this be done sooner rather than later. The old "safe is better than sorry" idea.

If you are North Shore people just ask the guys that get coconuts...they'll lop off parts...prolly cost RD$1000 and some beer.

HB

That'll be cheap where ever you live, and cheaper because that ugly thing will come down sooner than later, and who know's where it will land.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I know a 90 year old man that will shin up it and gradually reduce its size from the top if you want his number he is in sosua- I think around 1000 pesos mark would be correct for this area, cheaper in others