New to Site

Librarian22

Apr 1, 2012
Hello all,

I am new to the website and saw that I'm suppose to post an introductory thread first, which I didn't do but better late then never.

I am an American with some Dominican heritage on my mothers side. I've been reading quite a bit of the posts placed on here and it seems like the majority of the members are not Dominican. Is that accurate? Would it be safe to say that this site is for foreigners who have business in DR and/or moved there temp? My first post that I placed in "Best of" was requesting info on the POP area, as it will be my very first time going i was hoping for some insight. If anybody has any suggestions I would be very happy to hear them. I had asked about local campos where I could purchase fresh Queso de Hoja amongst some other questions but the first being the most important to me. Anyhow, thank you and I look forward to learning more about the DR.

Ciao

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Welcome to DR1. Yes everything that you wrote is true of this site. It is mostly for English speakers from anywhere in the world. Are you going to staying with relatives or at an all-inclusive? Puerta Plata is an older city in regards to tourism. I am sure you will enjoy your stay. There are always local farms in the area where you can buy locally produced items and there are many stands where you will find these also. Just ask someone. They will point you in the right direction. Make sure you bring debit/credit card to access pesos in an ATM. It is a lot easier than bringing cash and then having to change it. Do you speak any Spanish? If not you can still get around ok. If you tell us more detailed plans of your trip we can give you more suggestions.

LTS

Librarian22

Apr 1, 2012
Thank you so much LTS for replying to my post. I do speak Spanish fluently and will be staying at an all-inclusive with a friend of mine who is traveling to DR for the first time. I am really excited because I haven't been to the DR since 2006 so it's almost like the first time again :classic:. I heard that May is the wettest month, is that true? Has it been raining there alot lately?

Are you located in POP?

Thanks again for the welcome and info.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the site, DR1 can answer most of your questions, and if we don't know the answer, someone will invent one.

As for May being rainy, I would not say that. It could be or not. Really, I am finding the weather so strange these last few months that I would not bet on anything weather-wise now.

Are you really a Librarian?

Cool.

HB

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Welcome to the site, DR1 can answer most of your questions, and if we don't know the answer, someone will invent one.

Are you really a Librarian?

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Was also wondering about the librarian part, it would be great to have a need for those in the DR!

Welcome!

Librarian22

Apr 1, 2012
I was a librarian for some 4 years but now I'm in the healthcare but not in DR in New Jersey. I'll just be visiting in May.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Welcome aboard Librarian

The good people of dr1 can offer you a wealth of information for the asking. Have a great trip. Wish I was there now but coming in August or September.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

No, I live in Las Terrenas part of the year. This town is located on the Samana Peninsula about 3 hours east from you. You should get some good weather in May. Suggest taking some tours or rent a car and check out the area around POP and beyond. Since you speak the language you would have no problem handling it. Good luck. Have fun.

LTS

Librarian22

Apr 1, 2012
Hi:

No, I live in Las Terrenas part of the year. This town is located on the Samana Peninsula about 3 hours east from you. You should get some good weather in May. Suggest taking some tours or rent a car and check out the area around POP and beyond. Since you speak the language you would have no problem handling it. Good luck. Have fun.

LTS

Thanks =)

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
Welcome! I think you find this group to be a lot of fun, entertaining and most informative-