street dogs

Riki

Feb 7, 2012
Does anyone know what could be done to help the street dogs? There are so many who need help - who are hungry and in need of medical attention and human caring. Is there any organization that exists that could be helpful?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Only really on the Northcoast, there is a couple of small organization dotted around other areas, caring vets and so on but generally only on the North is there kenneling rehoming kind of set up, and they are pushed/don't help many dogs from other areas unless sponsored. If you are thinking of doing something it would be great.
Some \\dr1 members go above and beyond to do what they can, but it is a drop in the ocean, so generally speaking, no there is very little help for them other than caring individuals.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Only really on the Northcoast, there is a couple of small organization dotted around other areas, caring vets and so on but generally only on the North is there kenneling rehoming kind of set up, and they are pushed/don't help many dogs from other areas unless sponsored.

Well, here's one in Santiago that seems to be pretty active. A friend of mine is a member.
Animales en Peligro, Inc
[h=2][/h]

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Padela does next to nothing, very minimal. If there could be a nationally recognized association it would get much more done and networking the dogs through the country to interested and appropriate owners would be much easier, and less costly for everyone in the long run.
But that won't happen.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i personally have no heart for it. i cannot look at suffering animals and i would never be able to vounteer for the fear i would slash my wrists. i feed the dogs closest to me (home and work) and i sometimes drop some food to people who would then do the feeding at a larger scale. do whatever you can, you will be rewarded in one way or the other.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Take one home.

Better yet, take two home. Dogs are social animals.

If you have the resources take more than two home.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
a solution: adopt stray dogs instead of buying... :)

That falls under the 'stop breeding' obvious solution:mad:. I don't care what the breed people say they want, people have more chance of taking on something needing a home if the options are not there. Even to those that help out with strays while breeding. To me, it is like introducing ants into your house, so it doesn't feel like the cockroach problem is so bad.

But that will not happen, money, hobbies, selfishness, ignorance whatever it is, another dog is another dog and takes up another space in a home that could otherwise be filled by a dog with otherwise no future.
It s a vicious circle, that breeds real suffering, and is not necessary to the extent that it is if people educated better, and those educating followed their own preachings. IMO

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
people still keep buying them by the roadside when there are others looking for homes free

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are strays everywhere on the beach near us, they're docile and very sad looking. I heard yesterday that all the dogs running loose on the street over from ours were poisoned, and the locals believe it was the Health Dept. They claim the Salud folks drive down streets and spray something on the dogs that kills them later.

Not sure I believe that, but everyone else here seems to.

Certainly not the solution that the OP is looking for....

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I quite well know the problem because I work as a journalist for a french tv animal program. The problem is not really the stray dogs. It is of course on time T. But these are the ways to solve it:
. communication to explain it's better, easy, cheapless to adopt instead of buying...
. sterelization. Very important to maintain and then reduce the amount of stray dogs. For that: the solution is to get a kind of partnership with local vets who will agree to sterelize for free. Its very easy and fast for male dogs... For instance, what's been done in France was people asking to their vet if they would agree to be a "sterelizer for free". If he says yes, those poeple would keep him as their vet and he would get a kind of label for that... That s one thing you can organize in your neighboorhoud:)

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
There are always a few dogs that chase cars all day long and motoconcho delivery drivers have to kick them out of the way.

Aleksy4

Apr 23, 2012
Dogs are Social Animal.i have not interest in Dogs. Some people are like it. Dog Are loyal for humane who have it.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I "helped" two dogs street dogs a year while I lived there.
This help could be any of the following:
1. finding a new home for a dog currently on the street (pay for boarding until new owner found)
2. taking in a female (cut off the puppy cycle!) that had a good support system in place (like a DV8 :) ) and paying for her to be spayed/vacinated and then putting her back on the street (did their shots each year afterwards as well)
3. taking in a suffering dog and having the vet humanely put it down (I did look for females predominately)

I couldn't afford to do more dogs than that and still care for my own family and animals properly but some years I was able to help 3 or 4. Paraphasing Mother Teresa - if you can only help a few, then help with what you can. If every person with extra resources did what they could the problems would be FAR less without anyone having to feel like they had to do it all.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
In Bali, the street dog problem is massive. There are packs of dogs everywhere. An organization called Bawa Bali was started by an Australian to administer medical aid to animals in distress (hit by motos, etc) and to also do spay/neuter/release. Bawa functions solely on donations (money, meds and time). The SNR program has hugely reduced the number of animals on the streets and, combined with an education program in the schools, is slowly helping to convince the Balinese that dogs are not simply meant to keep death from entering your home (this is what they believe and why they passively encourage the dogs to hang around) but can also bring fun, love and happiness into a home. Last time I was in Bali, I spent a day at Bawa assisting with cherry eye surgeries.
Is there a program like the SNR program anywhere in the DR? I would gladly give my time to assist again.

Ella

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
a lot of poor people need more help then street dogs....

T.E.
True... And there are a lot agencies and people helping them now... But not so many for the animals.

By the way, the Department of Health in Toronto has confirmed that the AI worker who got rabies in the DR contracted it either from a dog or a mongoose. Are there any mongooses...mongeese... (what is the plural of mongoose??) in the DR?? Mass rabies vaccinations in addition to SNR would not be a bad thing....

Toronto rabies patient likely infected abroad - Toronto - CBC News

Ella