Water bottles are dangerous

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Article in German about the danger of water bottles.

Dominikanische Republik: T?dliche Gefahr aus Plastikflaschen
Below is a google translation

Water bottles in Santo Domingo -. Proconsumidor (National Institute for Consumer Protection rights) in the Dominican Republic warns the consumer expressly plastic containers.

In plastic are chemical compounds which are known as dioxins.

These toxins are deposited mainly in the fatty tissue of humans and animals that cause degenerative diseases. According to consumer protection organization, the danger lurks mainly in plastic bottles containing beverages and exposed to the sun. These include especially the "Botellones" big Kunststoffwassergallonen which usually for sale at the roadside and full day of Caribbean sun conditions.

Due to the resulting high temperatures are the pollutants released to record it with the water or any other beverage. In the long run for dioxins in the body and can seriously endanger health. Among other things, solve dioxins in the human body from cancer, can permanently damage the reproductive and result in children being born with degenerative changes. The same danger lurks in plastic packaged foods.

In the announcement of Proconsumidor pointed out that it is completely irrelevant whether water or juices to be taking, selects containers such as bags, bottles or gallons. Danger lurks in the plastic which upon exposure to heat, these chemical compounds cause long term damage to the body because these dioxins in the body are not degraded but are incorporated primarily in adipose tissue.

Not only Proconsumidor comes to these findings, the WHO (World Health Organization) reports of contaminants in the food chain (in conjunction with plastic packaging), which could harm the development and cause reproductive problems. Since dioxins interfere with hormones can also cause cancer. Proconsumidor thus warns against products not only the trade in the sun presents, and consumers should never expose water bottles in the car for a long time to heat.

As an extremely dangerous one calls the kind of cook rice in the Dominican Republic. It's a bad habit of the pot with plastic wrap / bag to cover the more heat store. In this intense heat can be detached immediately pollutants which pass into the food.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
The last paragraph should be self eviednt to anyone. I had to tell my cook that she would be fired if she did that again before she would stop.

As far as the bottle being dangerous what choices do we have? I believe that that water is cleaner than that which flows from the faucet. Besides my reproductive years are long in the past!
Der Fish
Der Fish

LUCKY YOU!! :mad:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dioxins

Article in German about the danger of water bottles.

It could be that the article goes back to
Piden vacacionistas no exponer al Sol botellas de aguas pl?sticas por riesgo de c?ncer
(which was released about a year ago).

Of course, it is still valid and given the ignorance of people about the dangers of plastics in food containers and wrappings it is an important reminder.

Even worse is the Dominican habit of burning plastics... :mad:

Dioxins? Haeh?? :cross-eye

donP

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Interesting to know about in a "pinch".

Short term risk of bacteria, amoebas, etc. vs. long-term build up of dioxins.

In the short term, I'd take the cleaner water, but wouldn't want to do it routinely.

I'm drinking coffee at work all days from a plastic cup.
So I'll guess it's safe to drink the bottled water here. ;)

Wait ... would it be worse if I drink Dominican coffee from a plastic cup????

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
this is old news which gets recycled periodically. reactionary hype by yet one more group looking for media exposure. Yea, I'm sure there MIGHT be some slight chance of realistic danger.... BUT, it's more dangerous crossing the street in P.C. than it is to drink from a plastic bottle.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I'm drinking coffee at work all days from a plastic cup.
So I'll guess it's safe to drink the bottled water here. ;)

Wait ... would it be worse if I drink Dominican coffee from a plastic cup????

Dominican rum and coffee are very, very safe, some of the safest liquids on the planet!

When it doubt, drink rum, it even kills the stuff in the ice!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I try to avoid buying bottles of water which were out in the sun for several days...

Mostly because I do not like boiled water... never gave a thought to the rest....

Then again... a lot of times you were told stuff was good for you, and all of a sudden, it turned out to be bad for you.

Coke, for example. Euhh... Coca Cola.... lol

BelgianK

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have a "Rack" like you see outside colmados.It holds 20, five gallon water bottles.There is a water bottler near my house.They come and take the "empties",and bring them back full.The bottles are stored in my laundry room.
They charge 20 pesos per bottle,and I give them 5 pesos per bottle to take them away,and put them back in the rack.
I have been doing this for many years.I don't put much faith in all the "The Sky Is Falling" "Scientific Studies" that we are bombarded with on a daily basis.Just like on "DR1",many "FACTS" are just part of someone's "Personal Agenda".
I have seen trucks that carry 5 gallon water bottles,from "Well Known" companies,filling the bottles with a garden hose not far from my house.You know the Dominican mentality,"Hey,who will know that it's "Street Water",and I can make 30 pesos more a bottle!"
I drank the water from the "Tap" for many years,before my wife and her family made me stop.
I used my "Diarieha" as a weight control device! Now I'm really "FAT"!
"Drink Contaminated Water",you will look great!
Just buy lots of "TP"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC