Gallon Milk

Lnbond

Nov 20, 2011
Please tell me, someone, that you can buy regular gallon milk somewhere in the capital! Cereal and dipping cookies just aren't the same without it.

P.S. Someone had told me Price Smart would, but I checked yesterday and that is a negative.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Please tell me, someone, that you can buy regular gallon milk somewhere in the capital! Cereal and dipping cookies just aren't the same without it.

P.S. Someone had told me Price Smart would, but I checked yesterday and that is a negative.

Unfortunately, in the 12 years I've been living in the capital I've not seen milk by the gallon like in the US anywhere. IMHO, the closest you can get to that lush gallon milk taste is UTC Parmalat whole milk (lech entera).

NotLurking

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the only milk sold in gallon bottles i ever saw is the one distributed in barrios by the farmers. they pass barrios early in the morning in pick-up trucks with large barrels of milk in the back. sold by ladle, actually. but they will pour it into whatever container people bring. 100 pesos per gallon, probably about 5% fat, non pasteurized, not watered down, no anibiotics. needs to be boiled before drinking. perfect for making cheese, btw.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hit on my biggest (oneofanyway) complaints about the DR. Damn powdered milk. I am temporarily mired in Houston Texas and do not like it one bit BUT I can buy my beloved skim milk and turn down my refrigerator to just above ice crystals for my milk. Gotten so used to it I was taking it for granted. Nothing beats an icy cold glass of milk. Well, maybe one thing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
On "DR1",you often have to decypher what they mean,NOT what they say!
I would guess that "Gallon" in the "OPs"post refers to either "Fresh",meaning not "Ultrapasturized"(Like Parmalat),or just"liquid",who would care if it was in quarts,or "Gallon" containers??

Which leads me to the following question.
What's GREY,and comes in quarts???
An ELEPHANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
that's what i would think, referring to gallons as Fresh (pasturized) vs the UHT stuff. The taste to me just isn't the same and i've yet to see it sold anywhere in SD.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
which makes me ask a related question - How is "milk" packaged in other countries? box, bottled, or powdered?
In the US it's the norm to buy in anything from gallon to pint sized "fresh moo juice" as their are lot of dairies in the states and a transport system to move the product. Odd though, once I was looking for Parmalat boxed stuff for a boating trip and had a really hard time finding any, Delaware area.
for here - I wonder if their are enough dairy producing cows here that could support a fresh market in a timely manner with refrigerated technology......

Hence we buy the UHT stuff which i'm used to now...or the powdered. your thoughts?
Karlheinz

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
On a side note:

How many of you have not tried the tiny cartons of "Vanilla" milk?
They are really "great" if you love "true" vanilla milkshakes.

They used to sell them in the larger cartons but I guess due to lack of demand
are only available in the tiny kid's size now. A very delicious treat to enjoy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
personally i will not touch milk with a stick. even choco rica is gross. but i did try chocolate and vanilla soya milk, not so bad.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If I'm not mistaken, pretty much all milk in the DR comes from powdered milk. The closest I've found so far to "normal" milk taste has been Parmalat and due to dietary restrictions I drink Dietalat (0.5%) which is actually not all that bad. But you can be sure that when I go up to Canada on vacation, I treat myself to good milk every single day!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Rica sells good ol "fresh" pasteurized milk in those tiny square cartons. It is "fresh" milk that requires refrigeration, which isnt the best in this country so you can imagine there will be some quality control issues.... Out of , say, 10 times ive bought this milk, at least 3 times it has gone bad or is starting to go bad....

There used to be a little shop at the front of the Rica factory on Kennedy ave in Santo Domingo that would sell there products... that was the best place to buy their "fresh" milk.... even then, ive purchased milk from there that was already starting to go bad...

In 15 yrs living here I have not been able to get used to that horrible UHT non refrigerated crap....its almost passible with cereal but not really... lol

This country sucks for people who love fresh milk..... just have had to learn to do without....

Edit: BTW, when this "fresh" milk is actually fresh and not starting to spoil, it tastes justs like regular whole milk from the states.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Rica sells good ol "fresh" pasteurized milk in those tiny square cartons. It is "fresh" milk that requires refrigeration, which isnt the best in this country so you can imagine there will be some quality control issues.... Out of , say, 10 times ive bought this milk, at least 3 times it has gone bad or is starting to go bad.....
Although I have never tried it but Villar Hnos on Independencia and Pasteur sells this in the refrigerated case located in the bakery section.

Feb 7, 2007
In smaller towns like Higuey no problem to find fresh milk. There was a place that sold fresh unpasteurized milk by the gallon, it was 80 pesos per gallon. They closed down last November because of lack of sales. This one was operated by the association of cattle ranchers. There are other places that re-sell fresh milk for about 100 pesos a gallon, also the barrio drive-through sellers on motorbikes, and there is a queseria or two in Higuey that sells fresh cheese, yogurt, including fresh "boiled" milk, it's 110 or 120 pesos a gallon.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Fresh Milk

Used to be able to find fresh milk by the quart at La Placinta on Max Enrequi Urena block east off lincoln. But as was said above goes bad fast. don't know if they still have it?

Basil

Apr 11, 2012
Hello everybody,..
I read out all the posts and i agree with you.Milk is the necessary of the our life so we should be drinking
milk for good health and good fitness.Milk giving us nutrition and energy.Milk is best for strongest muscle.