What products do you miss from back home?

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Duo-penotti.jpg

Duo Penotti, choco spread.

8722700462958Reg350gB_web.jpg

Calv? Pindakaas, peanut butter.

parodontax-fluoride.jpg

Parodontax, tooth paste.

:cry:

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
my kids miss goldfish - they sell them in pricesmart, but they're usually stale.
and easter wasn't the same without some PEEPS.
i miss good butter and good milk.
when i first moved here peanut butter was scarce, but that's gotten better.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
square slice sausage and plain bread, oh not to forget a big haddock and chips with mushy peas.........sarsons chip shop vinegar I need to stop I am drooling and may damage my laptop.

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
I believe living in an island with only one season, make one to miss the natural products of home that for most of us was provided with four seasons.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The only two things I know of in this thread so far are cottage cheese, roll-aids and mussels. The rest are a mystery to me.

I miss HOT SPICY FOOD ( I know there are a couple of restaurants that provide a low level of heat and come close to real Asian food, but it isn't like San Francisco or New York in that regard - not close). I miss maple syrup, inexpensive but great California wines and good chocolate. Good strawberries that actually taste like strawberries. Also throw in Pizza like I grew up with and not to forget cabbage pirogies which are now even hard to get if I go back to where I a originally from. (If someone opened a Trader Joe's I would have most everything on my list.)

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Horseradish mustard, polish sausage (fresh and smoked), good ham, strawberries, nectarines, Honey-Crisp apples, fresh picked corn on the cob, bleu cheese dressing, roast beef on Kimmelweck....foods from Western New York!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
(In no particular order) fresh milk, fresh eggs, Cadbury chocolate mini-eggs (only available around Easter), decent selection of beer and wine, high-quality beef, Chipotle (yes I like to indulge in a 1500 calorie burrito every now and then), lemons, asparagus.

Overall, I don't really miss much in the way of packaged products...it's the quality fresh food. I just miss having access to places like Wegman's and Whole Foods. Whenever I'm in the States and go into a Wegman's I almost cry. So much amazing produce and meats. And the prices are amazing.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Horseradish mustard, polish sausage (fresh and smoked), good ham, strawberries, nectarines, Honey-Crisp apples, fresh picked corn on the cob, bleu cheese dressing, roast beef on Kimmelweck....foods from Western New York!

Playero has strawberries, They have them now and periodically.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Alberta beef.......just got a strip loin, and a tenderloin, the best of the best of the best, bbq'd on carbon with mtl steak spice....gotta enjoy while i have it .....

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
LOL! Before you got to the beef on weck I KNEW you were from WNY!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I live in Michigan so...real "Dominican" bacalao, arenque, fruits (guanabana, mangoes, avocados, papayas, etc), music, and of course an ice cold Presidente in a hot day...

I think it's time to book a flight.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Great list. Sweet Corn on the cob for sure. Nobody here has ever had it and has no idea what they are missing. Please don't tell me you had some once that was frozen. I am talking about from the stalk to eating in less than 30 minutes.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Born and raised! Living here the past 2 years is the only time I've ever been away except for brief vacations.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I miss the large American hardware superstores. The hardware stores in DR do not have everything, and you have to ship stuff from the states in order for your house stand out from the next.