100 convicts dropped in SD from the US

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Saw a disturbing picture in the news the other day of 100 repatriated felons who have served their time in US jails and were "dropped off" in SD. They covered their faces with towels when the picture was taken. Anyone know what happens here? Are they just let go? These are serious guys, murderers, violent criminals.
In the real world they are kept on a string via probation - watched, drug tested, not allowed to associate with known felons and kept track of where they live, must report to a probation officer etc. Not here I guess. What are they going to do for a living here? There are no jobs for convicted felons. We all know exactly what they are going to do - return to what got them imprisoned in the first place. Scary thought. For a small country to add 100 felons to the number of criminals already operating is big. Someone, please tell me they are not just let loose on the population.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This happens on a regular basis. People get deported...BTW just cause you're deported back to The DR doesn't mean you're a convicted murderer and/or violent criminal. They are taken to the police department where they are briefly held, fingerprinted, interrogated, etc...and if they don't have any debt to Dominican justice then released to their families or on their own recognizance. They're served their time and committed no crime in The DR so no reason for them to be watched, drug tested, etc...

Jan 22, 2010
And then they start teaching the dominican criminals so that they can go to the States to get convicted and then they start all over lol

T.E.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
most of them ARE IN FACT convicted and finished serving there sentence, so these guys ARE killers, drugdealers etc. worthless scum that does not deserve to live.

these people do not deserve to live, and should just be killed, if you think otherwise i hope you and your families get raped, killed etc. and then please answer this to yourself again.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've often wondered why they aren't deported when they are convicted. Why does the US have to spend millions each year incarcerating them? Ship their butts back to wherever they came from in the world. Of course, crime would probably spike if they knew they would just get a free trip home.

I think Sheriff Arpaio [sp?] in AZ is on the right track - make it more unpleasant to serve a sentence. But it doesn't seem to deter the criminals there, so who knows?

I'm sure a lot of the crime in DR is directly related to these 'exported' criminals, who are here after serving jail terms in the US

May 12, 2005
Saw a disturbing picture in the news the other day of 100 repatriated felons who have served their time in US jails and were "dropped off" in SD. They covered their faces with towels when the picture was taken. Anyone know what happens here? Are they just let go? These are serious guys, murderers, violent criminals.
In the real world they are kept on a string via probation - watched, drug tested, not allowed to associate with known felons and kept track of where they live, must report to a probation officer etc. Not here I guess. What are they going to do for a living here? There are no jobs for convicted felons. We all know exactly what they are going to do - return to what got them imprisoned in the first place. Scary thought. For a small country to add 100 felons to the number of criminals already operating is big. Someone, please tell me they are not just let loose on the population.

Theta get jobs at call centers

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
most of them ARE IN FACT convicted and finished serving there sentence, so these guys ARE killers, drugdealers etc. worthless scum that does not deserve to live.

these people do not deserve to live, and should just be killed, if you think otherwise i hope you and your families get raped, killed etc. and then please answer this to yourself again.

Are you saying that everyone convicted of a crime and sent to prison should be executed at end of sentence rather than released? If that is what you believe, why not just execute all those convicted so that the taxpayers don't have to pay to house, guard, feed, etc., the prisoners?

dom

Jun 1, 2011
sounds great to me, if you are related to crime, you know your son or family member are involved into it, then you should also be executed, you can count the time it takes to eliminate crime WORLDWIDE, it works in northcorea !!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There are no jobs for convicted felons. We all know exactly what they are going to do - return to what got them imprisoned in the first place. Scary thought. For a small country to add 100 felons to the number of criminals already operating is big. Someone, please tell me they are not just let loose on the population.

Are you joking, there are loads of deportees (often the majority) working in call centers, infact I know a couple of deportees in Santo Domingo who have started up their own call centers, I'm pretty sure it's a timeshare scam.
From what I'm told they are taken into custody for up to 72 hours while (as already stated above) records are checked and then issued their cedula and then kicked out the door to do whatever they are going to do. It seems most are deported for shootings, gang crime and drug offenses (I say seems as these are the offenses those I've come across have committed and seems pretty common). Those few I have met had served their time in total and so although it's not ideal you have to accept that they've done the time for the crime.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
You need to see the big picture. They are not deported back, because the jail system business economy needs this type of people. In the US there are towns that need the jail system to support their local economy. Some of them are criminals, but some are not and guess what they end it up in jail sometimes for a traffic violation or smoking pop.
It is a shame that from all the first world countries, the US is the one with more people in jails. How come the minority is the majority in US jails? Is this a coincidence or by design.

I've often wondered why they aren't deported when they are convicted. Why does the US have to spend millions each year incarcerating them? Ship their butts back to wherever they came from in the world. Of course, crime would probably spike if they knew they would just get a free trip home.

I think Sheriff Arpaio [sp?] in AZ is on the right track - make it more unpleasant to serve a sentence. But it doesn't seem to deter the criminals there, so who knows?

I'm sure a lot of the crime in DR is directly related to these 'exported' criminals, who are here after serving jail terms in the US

dom

Jun 1, 2011
why does or should a person that killed your mother etc., have the right of a second chance, if your mother, child friend doesnt because there death ?

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
"they should just be executed "

That's why we have Democratic Societies so that the populace will receive fair justice instead of crazed lynch mobs. In a Neo Conservative Society, no one would be left, they would all kill off one another eventually.

By Dominican Law, these people committed no crimes, so why should the Dominican Republic punish them again for crimes in another country that may or may not even be crimes or they may not be guilty of? As primitive as the D.R. seems sometimes, they do have a halfway decent justice system.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011

Yeah, the world would be better without them.. yes indeed. But I think other wise than they should just be killed. There are many reason to say this. You wish death upon someone else because!?! And then you also hope for those who don't see things your way that their family is getting raped, killed etc.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I met a guy last month in Santo Domingo (in his taxi) who got off one of those planes after serving 5 years in an upstate NY prison several months ago. He got into a traffic accident. The driver of the other vehicle died from his injuries. Taxi guy had to submit a sample at the hospital and was found to have trace amount of cocaine in his system. He pled guilty to vehicular manslaughter. He got out after serving 5 years of a 7 year sentence. Now he is back in his homeland and swears that he will never make that mistake again. He also swears that he abstains from drug and alcohol. He has not committed a crime in the Dominican Republic or so his record would indicate.

Should he and his family be killed? Is there no possibility for redemption? Is there no good that this guy can do that will undo the harm which he caused, albeit unintentionally? Why do they call it a corrections system rather than a penal system if at the end of one's sentence they're face with no possibility to prove that they've been 'corrected'? Why would the Dominican justice system care what these people did in a foreign country?