Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Hispaniola_lrg.jpg

hispaniola_combined.jpg

00074037.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The last one is a rather old one, given that the Friendship Treaty with Haiti from the 1870s is not reflected in the boundary.

But very interesting series. Thanks.

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
oh that wiki map is gorgeous

thanks!!

now if only I could see it on a BEACH towel...

all my young students from Haiti can only draw their part of the island

and ditto for the young Dominicans

tough to educate about ecology and the environment and why we should care about our shared resources when the kids do not even know that we are living together on an island

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
The last one is a rather old one, given that the Friendship Treaty with Haiti from the 1870s is not reflected in the boundary.

But very interesting series. Thanks.

HB

Yeah, that caught my attention because I remember one of the posters here (Mirador, I think) mentioning in one thread that his father was born in one of our former districts in the Central Plateau, Thomassique, before the town fell behind the current line. I have always been curious about the final fate of the Dominican families that used to live there. Did the majority remained with the new jurisdiction or do they all end up leaving the place?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
oh that wiki map is gorgeous

thanks!!

now if only I could see it on a BEACH towel...

all my young students from Haiti can only draw their part of the island

and ditto for the young Dominicans

tough to educate about ecology and the environment and why we should care about our shared resources when the kids do not even know that we are living together on an island

The demographical one caught my attention because I expected to see more tighly packed areas in the Haitian side, instead of it only showing the Port-Au-Prince/Leogane area. Guess that the majority of the pop. there continue to live in the countryside.