Route Guide

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Uff. I probably drove the route 100+ times 10 years ago when the road was 'ok' with only a few washed out places.
Last thing I heard, only someone with a 4-wheel drive burro, a machete, and survival rations would take that route to actually go to Santiago. I like their recommendation "You'll get more out of your sightseeing experience if you drive 35-45kph". What that really means is "you're slightly less likely to drive off a cliff".

Unless someone reports the conditions have improved, do drive slowly as much of the road is built into the side of the mountains and it's not unusual to come around a curve and find some or all of the road washed away. This was the case even when the road was in 'good' condition.

That said, I think I'll plan a trip to nowhere and see how the road is these days. Hope I can still get a cold Presidente at Tubagua for the ride back...:smoke:

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I always take this route to Santiago. Sure, you have to go easy but the views are superb and there are hardly any other cars on it...certainly no trucks!

Last time however, there had been a few new landslides and a bit more of the road had slipped away past tubagua...so be careful!
(its no less dangerous than the madness of the puerto plata route in my opinion)