Santiago vs. Santo Domingo

JeiJei

Jan 12, 2012
Currently I am living in Santiago. I find the city to be too small, and I am considering moving to Santo Domingo, but I am not sure which place would be best to open a Dominican food restaurant. Any thoughts on this?
If I were to move to Santo Domingo, what specific neighborhoods are good (I have young kids) and not super expensive (like Gazcue, Naco, Patini (spelling?)). When I say not super expensive, I mean apartments that cost like 12,000 max./mo.
One more thing if you will please humor me...does anyone know of any good schools in Santo Domingo that Spanish instruction only (no bilingual schools) that I will not have to sell my kidney to pay for? I have three kids in elementary school.
I apologize because I know some of these things have been asked before. Thank you in advance for your help.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Interesting. With three kids you'd think you'd rather have a smaller city with less hassle and much cheaper. I'll let others provide more specific information, but I can tell you that you'll have a very hard time finding anything around 12,000/month in any decent neighborhood. A one bedroom apartment can easily cost that and we're not talking Naco or Piantini. You can do a quick search in Supercasas.com to get an idea.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I rented a one bedroom apt. on C/Amerigo Lugo,in front of "LaPlaza De La Salud"in "LaFe",for 6,000 a month,until last year.There were 2 bedroom apts. for 7,500 a month.I liked "LaFe".I wanted to buy a house there 16 years ago,but people don't want to sell there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Nov 25, 2008
well under that budget your almost going to live under a bridge, nothing in the Capital is cheap...schools, rent, even rent to open up a business, did you have a business here in Santiago?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Currently I am living in Santiago. I find the city to be too small, and I am considering moving to Santo Domingo, but I am not sure which place would be best to open a Dominican food restaurant. Any thoughts on this?
If I were to move to Santo Domingo, what specific neighborhoods are good (I have young kids) and not super expensive (like Gazcue, Naco, Patini (spelling?)). When I say not super expensive, I mean apartments that cost like 12,000 max./mo.
One more thing if you will please humor me...does anyone know of any good schools in Santo Domingo that Spanish instruction only (no bilingual schools) that I will not have to sell my kidney to pay for? I have three kids in elementary school.
I apologize because I know some of these things have been asked before. Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm sure the SD folk will be along shortly, but one bit of advice:

During rush hour (which sometimes never seems to end), it can take two hours to get from one side of SD to the other. Most of the best parts of the country (the entire Cibao valley, Jarabacoa, just about all of the NC, and of course, SD) are roughly two hours from you as well. You have the benefit of living in the center of the country, where prices for what you get are about as ideal as they come.

Don't know how long you've been there, or what you're looking for, but it might be helpful to consider Santiago more of a base than as a boundary.

Hope it helps.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I rented a one bedroom apt. on C/Amerigo Lugo,in front of "LaPlaza De La Salud"in "LaFe",for 6,000 a month,until last year.There were 2 bedroom apts. for 7,500 a month.I liked "LaFe".I wanted to buy a house there 16 years ago,but people don't want to sell there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCC

[video=youtube;P7lS0r9o6eE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lS0r9o6eE[/video]

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you need furnished in a decent area then I will stick my neck out and say you won't find it, possibly on the east but I doubt it, unless very lucky. It is really difficult to find furnished anywhere and you pay almost double for it if you do and WILL lose the deposit so remember not to pay for a few months before moving.
By reasonable place I mean somewhere like La Julia south side of 27defeb, you can find nice places around there and it is safe, loads of military and private security guards about. Somewhere off Jose Contrerez maybe.
I'm not a fan of anything that is south of Independencia and over Lincoln and Churchill, you can find small pockets like Miramar where you can get a nice house but with San miguel, san juan on the other side of Independencia you're never going to be comfortable. So by rule I say anything South of Anacaono past lincoln is iffy, is not somewhere I could recommend, but over the North is better, but everywhere has pockets.

The short answer is yes if you have furniture, no if you don't.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
[video=youtube;P7lS0r9o6eE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lS0r9o6eE[/video]

was that church in the video "El Sagrado Corazon the Jesus"? If it was, you were right around my hood!

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Santiago Vs Santo Domingo?

Of Course, Santo Domingo.

As they say, "La ciudad es la ciudad, Lo de mas es monte y culebras"

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Santiago Vs Santo Domingo?

Of Course, Santo Domingo.

As they say, "La ciudad es la ciudad, Lo de mas es monte y culebras"

Yes, SD if you like to shower with sewer water. Also, good luck with bad air quality and the traffic.

Santiago has better food, music, and women. Also, if you drive one hour you can be in the mountains or the playa!!! Que viva el Cibao!